1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Chest pocket, yes. I like the few I have although the diehard trads would probably say the fusing on the cuffs and collar was too stiff.

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

+1. much better indeed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Shore, the top half looks great (jacket esp, BBBF really suits you I think), but I will forever and always hate hate hate khaki chinos. What does CM offer as an alternative? Blue trousers? Purple?

(serious question)

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

^ I'm not a fan of khakis with tweed jackets either, though I get that they're a kind of US trad thing and that's consistent with the jacket & shirt style details . A trad look probably wouldn't have gone with a purple tie though, so that part doesn't quite mesh in the overall vibe. For me, though, the thing with chinos is not so much the colour but the fabric which looks more like a warmer weather material. I suppose you can get really heavy chinos, but still...

Wool trousers generally look good with tweed though, in a flannel or donegal weave for example. Cords almost always go great too. Colour-wise, pretty much any contrasting colour (e.g. a markedly different grey, dark green, chocolate brown, etc) will work . Sure, you could go wild with a different earthy shade too: mustard, orange, purple/plum, whatever... but you don't need to go there if it's not your bag. A dark blue also works for cords (in a similar way to how denim might work as a contrasting blue colour) but some folks in CM just don't like any dark blue non-suit trousers (for reasons I don't grok). If keeping the same top half, I think a very dark grey or dark plum would be great colours to use. If the tie was more navy blue than purple, that would open up the dark green or dark brown options more.

Other fabric options would include cavalry twill or moleskin, though I'm less a fan of these personally. Still, if one went for cavalry twill, khaki/light brown would be the typical/default colour, so it would be the smallest adjustment from shoreman's existing look while just changing the fabric to something heavier to echo the jacket fabric a bit more.

I still like the overall look of shore's outfit as is though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Love the fit of those chinos! Details?

6. in stitches

y u hate khaki color?

blue is fine imo.

7. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I usually hate khaki chinos but I think they look nice there.

Synth approved swap would probably be tan moleskin or corduroy trousers.

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I was conditioned to consider khaki cotton pants as default in school. Never been able to shake it. I also think with that khaki shades and grays are more often than not excellent matches, assuming there's enough contrast. I've worn light wool flannels with this jacket, navy as well. The jacket's texture is rough so I tend to avoid beefy, thorn-proof type trou with it. Maybe that's a mistake.

A better shot of color/texture:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: per hendrix, I would definitely be down for a nice pair of moleskin trousers in tan.

2 people like this.
  9. in stitches

gray/khaki is a great color combo imo.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Shoreman, I agree with stitchy that grey/khaki can look great (Brunello Cucinelli does it a lot). Personally though, I would prefer a solid navy tie with that fit. Something with some texture, like a shantung or a knit. But then I'm pretty colour averse so disregard as needed ;-)

They're PT 01, Slim Fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another one you may like

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. in stitches

and so well. one day i will stock my entire closet with brunello.

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

thanks, they're RRL officer chinos in selvedge..

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

WORD. I have a pair, mainly out of a sense of obligation I think, and I never wear them. I don't understand why they're considered an acceptable pairing with tweed or other non-cotton jackets.

14. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I've never understood khakis and tweed as a combo. Somehow, its gotten a measure of acceptance around here.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about khakis or chinos? Courser twill khakis/drill cloth looks okay to me.

16. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

I like tweed + wool trousers in theory but rarely have occasion to wear that combo, as opposed to tweed + cotton trousers which is a classic smart daytime look. Maybe if your lifestyle involves a lot of dandified business casual it would be different.

17. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

i suppose i mean chinos in this context, although i use the term interchangeably because down here you don't need to wear heavy duty pants so everything's a khaki.

18. CapitalKifoo

CapitalKifoo Member

19. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

^SW&D

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

To clarify, there is another subforum, Streetwear & Denim, where this fit would be more appropriate (and you'll get more helpful feedback).