1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

Yeah SW&D actually is pretty knowledgeable on affordable slim fitting knits because they're very difficult to find. A few I missed...

-Epaulet. Forum affiliate, owner is a nice guy and happy to answer questions. Haven't tried their sweaters personally but most of their products always seem well made and very affordable.

-4Horseman is also a forum affiliate located in Canada and once every year they come out with an awesome thick knitted cardigan that ranges around $300 retail. They usually sell out instantly.

-A lot of SW&D brands make decent knits that can be pricey but found on sale for a good price. Rag & Bone is an example of these, while sadly a lot of production has begun to shift to China it does not seem to have affected their quality much. The Official Sales Thread is a great resource to find out about great deals and the occasional Jil Sander/Dior/Margiela piece can be found for ~200-300. There's also a thread like "Awesome deals on B&S" or something like there where gems are posted for the benefit of the community (lots of posts come from other sites too, you're more likely to find nice designer pieces for good prices from SuFu).

-Inverallan used to be like the best kept secret for scoring custom made, high quality knits for affordable prices but unfortunately they no longer offer that practice. A few pieces however can still be found with enough searching and asking the right questions.

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. The pants are Epaulet seersucker.

I agree with you on the saddles, Lufty. I'd love to own more traditional saddles, but they're just not on my list right now. Perhaps next summer.

3. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

Thanks for the praise! I have some other tighter sweaters as well, but I felt like the camel color that day.

Wow, you're quite the talker, I can tell you're a psychiatrist! :p

Anyway, you make some good points, and I agree with much of what you said.

In any case, there's been much debate of what is MC Casual, what is MC, what is SW&D. This is obviously a subjective topic, but in my opinion these truly are 3 separate categories, although obviously each one overlaps with the other to some extent.

While the definitions of MC and SW&D have already established themselves quite clearly, I would recap that in my opinion MC focuses on outfits that should at the very least contain a sports coat, a tie, a suit, or preferably two of those elements.
    I personally would consider sportscoat with no tie, but with pocket square, to be approximately the lowest level of dressed-up-ness for the regular MC thread.

Whereas SW&D - I don't want to sound like one of the supposed clueless MC'ers who tries to tell SW&D what it is that SW&D likes - however I think it's safe to say that any outfit that involves a hooded sweatshirt has no place in MC, and should go to SW&D.

My interpretation of the MC Casual thread is that it's slightly more traditional than SW&D, so that is to say no hooded sweatshirts in MC Casual, but no suits or ties either - those can go to regular MC.

Now, this is only my interpretation of the thread, since it's not really explicitly stated, but what I personally would say to define the MC Casual thread is that the minimum to post here should be some kind of collared shirt (certain exceptions permitted). That is to say a tennis shirt or button front shirt, but no v-neck tshirts. Your own interpretation may differ.

Here's testing this theory on the collective crowd, stretching my own definition to the absolute maximum of casualness, consisting of a blue gingham shirt (not sure why it wrinkled so oddly, maybe because I was kind of looking down), shorts, flipflops (not the cheap 2$ rubber kind though, durable quality ones), and a navy belt. I will admit myself that this is very borderline to get in this thread, but I'd consider it the bare minimum. I'm probably already stretching it one item too much (sandals or shorts).

[​IMG]

4. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

Great looking shoes, may I ask where you purchased these fine shoes?

5. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

I am glad this thread exists, but some of the assholes need to stop debating it; either post images, critiques or GTFO! The reason this thread needs to be is because SW&D is full of people who dress badly 80% or more of the time! Yes, certain looks from there are nice (I'm not trying to be an asshole), but most of the time, there are too many shitty sneakers, black, baggy 'ninja' looks and just general poor fits, etc! No, I'm not trying top be all 'grown up' and shit by saying the 'ninja' look is bad (I have seen plenty of good 'ninja' looks), but most of the ones from SW&D are just bad, IMO!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

That's what I think of a lot of fits SW&Ders swoon over.

A few random examples pulled from your WAYWRN, generally supposed to be great fits worth sharing:

First page, the crappy stretched out collar t shirt. Which probably cost $50. And everything else may look good to your subculture, but to the rest of the world...
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x306/LeonardLeroy/chucks.jpg[/quote]

WTF? Seems to just be the one poster though.
    [img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5921567782_7758efcf33.jpg[img]

Hey look, another t shirt with a stretched out collar!
    [img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/willycheesesteak/tojnyc.jpg

Hot day with a sweater around the neck. How clever.
    [​IMG]

Bacon neck AND an ill fitting cardigan!
    [​IMG]

I will admit that there are a lot of good fits in there. But the extreme ninja goth clown ones are the ones that stick in my mind, and the attitude of jean fit that regards what I would consider an awful fit as something close to godliness is really hard for me to get past.

Also, stop tucking pants into boots. It looks ridiculous.

It's great that you have your own internal codes of what looks good and all, but realize that to a large part of the world, even the 'caring how I look' part, the extreme stuff actively counts against you, even if it's oh so awesome to the internal culture. Ever hear people talking about how stupid fashion is, with people spending thousands to look homeless? They're not talking about the MC crowd.

I'm not trying to tell SW&D what they like. I'm trying to tell them what other people perceive of what they like, if anything.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I'm glad you mentioned art; I was actually thinking about it while I was typing my earlier post, but then got distracted by something else so forgot to mention it.

Art - in whatever form - has always used symbolism to transmit messages, but historically it was quite easy to interpret art of several levels, depending on your background/culture. If you looked at, say, a portrait of a famous monarch, the general public could receive one message, the educated man another, the political insider a third. Other forms of communication are similarly layered (think of a satirical novel or play). Clothes can be used to communicate layered messages in the same way.

Now, I think you're right when you say that the narrower the target audience, the more overt and detailed the message can become, because there's a narrow but highly focused band of communication. It's like a scientific journal full of jargon, compared to a popular science documentary. Some modern art still succeeds in capturing the attention of the widest possible general audience, because it's good enough to send a meaningful message to them as well as a (possibly different/more complex message) to the art connoisseur. But that's not to detract from narrower forms of expression within modern art, aimed strictly at a more educated/familiar audience.

Similarly, I rather tend to think that a style of dressing can legitimately appeal to a wide cross section of the public or to a narrow one, or to both. What you're essentially suggesting is that perhaps both regular MC clothes and regular SW&D clothes target fairly narrow niches, as meaningful and useful communications as they are within those subsets, whereas MC-casual perhaps speaks to a wider, mass, cohort than hasn't had an opportunity to define itself on SF before. If there is such a silent majority here, it will certainly be interesting to see how this thread develops.

All this is rather OT to the thread itself, and I'm sure will get "tl;dr" or "moar pics", but as I think I wrote upthread, I like thinking about this stuff and where else will I do it other than SF! :)

9. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Hi Japan Alex,

Your fit is a perfect example of a fit that I think belongs on this thread. It is indeed casual - yet uses mostly classic elements which are well fit to your body. Even though it entails denim the jeans are not outrageously trendy or worn in an outrageous way.

I remind everyone who would like to debate what belongs here and what does not that the overall statement for this 'side' of style forum is to discuss "men's classic tailored clothing". And I think this fit is at least one good example of how a fit can 'bridge the gap' between classic tailoring and the 21st century reality of casual dressing.

Just my two cents worth! :slapfight:

10. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

KGMessier, Your fit is the very definition of MC Casual Style in my mind. All composed of classic elements, or modern interpretations thereof in the case of your shoes. All is well fitted and well combined. Keep the fits coming!

11. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

CPTJeff stop shitting up this thread. Start another thread if you need to carry this on.

1 person likes this.
  12. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

thanks for including me as an example.

The sleeves aren't actually wrapped around the neck, but are draped and sewn at the shoulders to give an illusion of a sweater wrapped around the neck. The knit sleeves are very light and draped strategically to not wave around when moving. It also comes in handy when it's hot and I'm sweating because it acts as a handkerchief

13. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Wow. You are a right cunt, aren't you?

14. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

+1

15. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

16. Mr.K

Mr.K Well-Known Member

A Sunny, Hot Day In The South

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Those yellow trousers look good but don't seem to pair well with the shirt. All too often your colours seem so bland against your pale skin that you melt into the foreground. I compliment you on stepping out of that with these trousers along with a pair of bright red ones I saw you wear, and encourage you to continue to explore these bolder colours.

(How's that for a back handed compliment?:D)

18. Trungtastic

Trungtastic Well-Known Member

As long as we're criticizing outfits, I would say that coat looks too big and all together you're going to look like a big brown bland thing. Sure it's not gonna get any negative leers and giggles from the general public but it's not going to please anyone but yourself either.

19. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Ok dude - you are just f**king with us, right? You can't seriously think this is a good look on you, or anyone else, right? :happy:

1 person likes this.
  20. llkk52

llkk52 Member

Pretty sure that is a Stowa. Absolutely beautiful watches. I love mine!