1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  2. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Are those flannel trousers? You may have tipped me over the edge for getting some cricket white flannel trousers.

3. Newcomer

They certainly are. My favorite trousers, hands down. Highly recommend!

4. circumspice

circumspice Well-Known Member

Is that coat from this year? I like the liner color in conjunction with the jade

5. Isolation

I think I might get some made from Fox Flannel, are yours? If not where did you get them?

6. Newcomer

These are the Fox Flannel Formosa trousers from NMWA. I cannot recommend the fabric more.

7. Isolation

Is it the worsted one? Which weight? I think I'm very likely to get it from Luxire next order, but unfortunately I'll probably get it just as winter ends. Oh well.

8. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

^ I always have trouble reconciling blocks of purple (or lilac, or lavender, or mauve...i.e. various flavours of purple) with adjacent blocks of green.

Some others seem to like it though.

10. Chaconne

Chaconne Well-Known Member

Thanks!

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

^ Outstanding debut!

You should post this in the WAYWRN thread. It belongs there more than here.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Blue Monday:

[​IMG]

Ring Jacket A-1
    Uniqlo linen knit top
    Orslow jeans
    RM Williams boots

16 people like this.
  13. Isolation

Black looks wrong with blue denim to me. I like the outfit otherwise. I guess you think the usual brown or tan suede is boring?

14. SackSuitLover

SackSuitLover Well-Known Member

Unfortunately too often are observed tight pants of feminine aspect
    I would like to recommend throwing away all skinny, slim or others ugly fits for trousers.
    Learn from MacArthur (on the left), with these beautiful khaki pants, full, hight rise and pleated.
    They'll return...

[​IMG]

15. Isolation

Yeah, take it from a "sack suit lover" lol. For the longest time, menswear included skin tight pants, all rich men posed with their legs and calves shown, and it's mostly mostly due to the victorian era's backlash against indulgence of fashion that men stopped doing it, and it's only due to that period that legs and calves became linked with femininity becauses dresses and skirts were still worn by women but tights were not by men (and we've never recovered from that link), and thus, due also to the growing association of effeminacy with homosexuality, it's now seen as "unmasculine". In short, that perspective is homophobic in root. gj sir. There's nothing innately masculine or non masculine about tight or non tight trousers. If you don't like it tight, as most people here don't, then don't wear it, just don't claim it to be any more than an arbitrary cultural development. Then again, men wearing trousers instead of skirts and dresses or robes is also an arbitrary ("western") thing, but I guess that won't stop you from slapping labels onto them.

Anyway, here's a lot of brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    16 people like this.
  16. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

@Isolation, Thanks for a very informative history lesson, but your seeing homophobia in every other post gets a bit tedious.

2 people like this.
  17. Chaconne

Chaconne Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the spirit of this. It doesn't seem at all homophobic to me for someone to suggest that the goal of classic menswear, or at least one of them, is to emphasize make attributes as opposed to female.
    Of course we can wear whatever we want but the term "menswear" implies, to me, clothes that are flattering to men and exemplify a male aesthetic.

18. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

Sorry, guys, but I'm with Isolation on this one - sacksuitlover has got issues which aren't strictly sartorial, and the example he showed of what he considered "proper fit" would be laughed out of town, were someone to wear trousers that loose and long in these fora today.

For myself, I've not been in my current state of svelte-ness since the first Reagan administration - I'll be damned if I'm going to hide myself in blousy trousers if I don't have to.

8 people like this.
  19. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I recall the last round of sacksuitlover's posts, he suggested that we should all dress like Mickey Rourke in Angel Heart.

The Internet, dude.

2 people like this.
  20. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I think the point is that "male attributes" and the "male aesthetic" do not exist a priori. They are, as expressed in any particular instance, the result of context, time, and various other factors.

There are two very interesting threads right here on SF in which General MacArthurs trousers might not be laughed at (although I bet they'd lose a few thumbs for not being black... :)).

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

EXTREMELY ADVANCED: official oversized/next level clothing thread

3 people like this.