1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

If you don't like it, why do people over there spend large sums of money on what appear to be oversized t-shirts with stretched out collars?

As for the jeans, I know that SW&D likes jeans that look more or less like leggings with sagged asses. However, in the interests of brevity...

2. Pembers

Pembers Well-Known Member

A bit mean? I'm her for constructive criticism, don't claim to be particularly stylish at the moment (I'm an undergrad, everything comes from ebay/second hand shops), but not sure I appreciate this kind of thing at all.

I'm cleverer than you, and not that impressed or intimidated (honest) by pseudo-pithy internet putdowns. That being said, they doesn't exactly encourage beginners like me to stick at it with SF, and it's probably best for all involved if this site is welcoming to newbies.

3. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Look, fellow-MC'ers, nothing is gained by bashing SW&D.

Putting on some kind of superiority front because you are, on average,
    older then them, on average, is still just a front.

Learn from them at what they are good at. In return, some
    few of them will want to learn what the MC guys are good at.

1 person likes this.
  4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

The SW&D WAYWT thread is SF's biggest liability (and just plain...mystery). Invariably, noobs are torn to shreds by the five or six assholes who live there, racking up insults, 'till invariably, they lose their cool and call one of the resident trolls a f*ggot. Then the new guy gets banned. You see it over and over and over again....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Pembers,

Don't let the a*holes get you down. There are a few in every crowd.

Stick around and you'll continue to also get good sound advice and feedback.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

everybody just take a deep breath....

I think there's a definite place for this thread. It's for all the guys like NOBD, or Gshen, or AceCow, or various shots from Mr.K and NYRanger, etc... ie guys who're dressing often in a khakie+buttonshirt+sportscoat or maybe a polo, jeans, and dress shoes, ie a consistent coherent dressy casual look that's quite different from the SW&D gang. I think that's where the range should be for this, sort of a business or dressy casual look, plus a bit of experimentation (eg what ManOfKent does)

that being said, can we seriously just stop debating the thread and just post+critique?

7. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Click to enlarge...

[​IMG]

(edit: fixed the desaturation issue)​

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I got my best fit advice from SW&D a few years ago. WAYWRN guys were too general.

1 person likes this.
  9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

great job. I love the socks

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Two different looks from a ways back. I think this balances MC with casual fairly well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I really dig the outfit. Love the pants! Deets on them?
    I'm really glad you've found time to post. You're looking great. I just wish we had the weather in SoCal to dress like that.

12. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Hear, hear.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Do TB's shoes flirt with the dreaded square toe? I ask because I am looking at something similar yet slightly shorter in overall length.

[​IMG]

14. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

I like this all except for the shoes - it's a take on a saddle that doesn't appeal to me. I think standard saddles would look much nicer.
    Yes. Well done.
    They don't look too square to me, but I'd prefer weejuns.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Are you seriously saying that aesthetic appreciation done from a position of ignorance is superior to one done from a position of knowledge? That you cannot gain more insight into something and develop your taste? That is utter falsehood and everyone reading this knows it.
    BTW the four people on the picture aren’t even dressed in the same style. Now I’d easily posit that for many people it would be easier to appreciate most/all of these outfits than MC-casual as the codes are, say, better known by young people. On the other hand it doesn’t mean anyone there pulled it off better/worse than someone trying to do a good MC casual look. Sometimes you have to approach things on their own terms. Fact is I am familiar with “MC” aesthetic and various SWD ones which gives me an, at least minimal, angle of approach when viewing most outfits posted here or seen in the street.

2 people like this.
  16. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

+1 I find it amusing that the very people who oppose the existence of this thread are keeping it alive by posting their opposition to it.

Ah, but how long did it take the wounds to heal?

Deets on the bag, please, Moo? Also, does it have enough structure to stand up on its own, or does it flop over when you set it down?

My J&M loafers are definitely not SF-approved, Dig, but not because of the toes. The brand doesn't help, of course, but I think most of the objections stem from the fact that my loafers don't really know what they're trying to be. SFers in general, and WAYWRNers in particular, seem to have a marked preference for uber-traditional, non-stylized, loafers. My J&Ms are sort of a hybrid of loafers and driving mocs, and they don't really fit the bill in either category. They're fine in real life, though, and I'm going to keep wearing them until I can afford a pair of C&J Mertons.

[​IMG]

Mertons are probably still a bit too stylized for most of the WAYWRN regulars, but I think they're gorgeous.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  18. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

You're right, I apologize.

I just get so sick and tired of the MC forum putting words in my mouth, saying "This is what SW&D likes? LOL" when often the picture they quote is usually the laughing stock of the SW&D forums. Just FYI, I'm also in undergrad and considering how long I've been active on Sf I have spent far, far, far less than than the average member of most of my stuff comes from below retail prices.

That being said, my criticisms largely still stand (though perhaps let me re-word them better).

Sweater fits too big, and yeah it does look kind of like extra skin. It's simply not flattering, and it's not an "anti-fit" either. It's just a bad, ill fitting piece of clothing. I sympathize with the difficulty of finding well fitting knits. The jeans aren't terrible, but aren't great. Like I said, mediocre fit, just ruined by a sloppy cuff. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish there. That being said, the shoes appear nice. If the sweater was switched out for a slimmer fit (and perhaps a different color), along with less sloppy stacking (or hem then to no break even if you want, despite it going against the grain members like GetSmart wears no break jeans and it works for him) then the fit would be improved.

If you want cheap, decent fitting sweaters here's my recommendation from cheapest to nicest.

European H&M --> Uniqlo --> All Saints --> SNS Herning --> Jil Sander & Dior Homme.

In fact, I will be more than willing to help you with any other bits of advice regarding fit or finding styles you prefer. Once again, I stress at the vitriol in my post wasn't directed at you as a poster but how MCers constantly attempt to portray SW&Ders.

Ok man, this is exactly what I mean. Apparently we don't even know what we like but you do, right? If you could post an example of what you mean by the first sentence then please do.

Regarding your jeans comments... OK, sure, just like MCers only like massive baggy dad jeans with Walmart washes right? :rolleyes: See how pointless this becomes when you attack the subforum in such a manner?

We might as well start a thread in SW&D posting pictures from Men's Warehouse saying "LOL THIS IS WHUT MCERS LIKE HAHA LETS LUAGH"

1 person likes this.
  19. Pembers

Pembers Well-Known Member

Apology accepted. The "anti-fit" phrase wasn't used by me, by the way; in fact it's something i'd never heard of till reading this thread.

The jeans are just standard Levi 501s, and yep I'll probably end up hemming them so they don't break. The shoes are Trickers for Burberry, £19 BNIB from ebay :happy:

And thanks for the advice re sweaters. I already own loads of uniqlo/H&M, and like what I have. No way am I buying anything by All Saints and no way can I afford Jil Sander or Dior...but I'll look up SNS Herning!

20. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

out of focus in Brussels...

going into [or was it leaving?] Au Bon Vieux Temps...

George Bespoke patch pocket double-breasted blazer
    russell & hodge shirt
    Levi's 506 jeans
    adidas trainers
    [ATTACHMENT=89]brussels.jpg (57k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]