• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWN - The best of

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Keep in mind that Il Vecchio's soft-tailored clothes were made in the 80s and 90s. I don't believe that he had anything new made after Mr. Russell died. So: these garments that you see are worn in, physically and psychologically they have become old friends. They are 20th century clothes worn in the 21st century. This is one of the things about bespoke tailoring that is antithetical to the concept of consumer RTW fashion. Why is he comfortable in his clothes? Well, he knows them very well. He chose them carefully. He had them made by someone who knew what he was doing. And he's worn them for awhile.

I was, following Baron's comment and Manton's knowledge ("Given the softness of the construction, the shoulder tends to "break down" over time and eventually fall over the delt with wear."), tracking down the idea that these were old from the shape and look of the sleevehead. Not because they were made to look like that, but because they evolved to become that shape.

All of a sudden I find myself in awe of his tailors.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Which is clearly the face of a stone cold killer.

Of course by the time you register this, you're already dead.

lefty

heh

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
More good stuff, from the first half of Roctober:

WAYWT-140.jpg

ml.jpg

kiton1.JPG

yfyf20081013remh2.jpg

L1050889.jpg

L1020700.jpg

suit1

L1050939W.jpg

- B

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the little tangent that I posted was so interesting to many. It was very gracious of Il Vecchio (thank you, S!) for tolerating the additional images that I posted, and my further comments about his tailor which I offered because I thought they provided some interesting clues to why he looks so debonair.

You should add his pictures to your A&S expat thread. Fastest way to silence all the A&S drape haters.

--Andre

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo--

IMHO, this is shot offers a wonderful appereciation of how good your stuff looks. The posed shots in your apartment pale in comaprison.

Please, more action shots in light of day!!

ml.jpg
[/quote]

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Foo: plz in future get 3b coatz.

kthxbai.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Anyone know any info about these overcoats? http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8...80303rexv5.jpg
It was a collaboration between a Japanese retailer called Beyes and a Swedish printmaker (hence the orange check). Quite cheap too, about $300, I was chuffed. +1 on all of the il Vecchio admiration. It is an extremely refined aesthetic, distilled even, and clearly comes with age and experience. Maximum possible with minimum required.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

L1020700.jpg

Damn I already forgot I had that jacket

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Please keep 'em coming. Inspiring.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I like the understated nature of his suits - dark, simple colors. while I like a lot of the more "Dandyish" stuff people wear, it isn't for me. IV wears stuff that I would love to wear.

the issue of not trying too hard is also a big one. he looks very natural, and simple. it looks like no thought has gone into what he is wearing.

Some, including me, would argue that this would make IV a dandy himself. His style seem to be what some dandies grow into as they approach a more dignified age and begin to dress accordingly. I like his look for more or less the same reasons I admire my abovementioned uncle or Prince Charles - classic English tradition. I plan to occupy a hinterland between flamboyance and sobriety in the next few years and hope to be as close as possible to this sort of ideal a few more years after that

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrast this with what is unavoidable with most people who post, simply because of age or background. I would say that a great majority of people in WAYWRN have not figured out how they want themselves to look, or if they have, they are often unable to or unwilling to make the leap and investment into looking as they wish and sticking with it. Reinvention is not effortless...it can be edgy, it can be interesting, it can be mortifyng...but it is not effortless. Again, this is not a criticism...it is rather inevitable since the generational chain of men teaching boys how to dress was long ago sundered. Nearly everyone starts out on their own now. Nearly all flop around like fishes out of water for a time...and maybe, forever.

Let's get back to more good pics! Thank you again, Il Vecchio, for showing us one standard of elegance. It's not the only one...let's see more!

- B

Another great VS comment/essay. It strikes at the core.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must have been drinking very heavily the first half of 2008; I remember seeing about 10% of these pictures..
plain.gif

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the little tangent that I posted was so interesting to many. It was very gracious of Il Vecchio (thank you, S!) for tolerating the additional images that I posted, and my further comments about his tailor which I offered because I thought they provided some interesting clues to why he looks so debonair.

Moreover, the photographs are wonderful. The extremes of appeal or dismay are most easily reached with a natural atmosphere, which his has, but those of us who blur or crop out our faces will not have except rarely.

Keep in mind that Il Vecchio's soft-tailored clothes were made in the 80s and 90s. I don't believe that he had anything new made after Mr. Russell died. So: these garments that you see are worn in, physically and psychologically they have become old friends. They are 20th century clothes worn in the 21st century. This is one of the things about bespoke tailoring that is antithetical to the concept of consumer RTW fashion. Why is he comfortable in his clothes? Well, he knows them very well. He chose them carefully. He had them made by someone who knew what he was doing. And he's worn them for awhile.

It is a formula that works.

Contrast this with what is unavoidable with most people who post, simply because of age or background. I would say that a great majority of people in WAYWRN have not figured out how they want themselves to look, or if they have, they are often unable to or unwilling to make the leap and investment into looking as they wish and sticking with it. Reinvention is not effortless...it can be edgy, it can be interesting, it can be mortifyng...but it is not effortless. Again, this is not a criticism...it is rather inevitable since the generational chain of men teaching boys how to dress was long ago sundered. Nearly everyone starts out on their own now. Nearly all flop around like fishes out of water for a time...and maybe, forever.

Let's get back to more good pics! Thank you again, Il Vecchio, for showing us one standard of elegance. It's not the only one...let's see more!

- B

Well done, sir! I believe you've hit at least a couple nails on the head with the one brief post, beginning with your cogent analysis of what makes Il Vecchio's look so appealing to so many here, and ending with the fact that so many of us continue to struggle to achieve that level of serenity and confidence in our own sense of style. Fast approaching 50, I still struggle to identify with a look that is truly my own, that says to me this is who I am. Of course aging can play into that, and some clothing I might have considered more "me" 20 years ago, now feels too young.

At any rate, I am enjoying this best of '08 retrospective, so please carry on...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
May
2455169509_939dda4bed.jpg
287992074_Bka83-O.jpg
ClothingShots255.jpg
291832334_iyT2d-L.jpg
photo-22.jpg
292885520_jQnyo-O.jpg
Colors/tint are off in the pic, but I have a feeling I would have loved this in person:
p1030129zc5.jpg
DSC04196.jpg
DSC04187.jpg
DSC04220.jpg
Foxx needs to embrace his inner Iammatt and undo another button, but this is still nice:
tanspp7.jpg
294656340_bYSZT-O.jpg
294656346_N6jE4-L.jpg
0513_0014_edited-1.jpg
photo-27.jpg
photo-29.jpg
yfyf20080517recg0.jpg
DSC04435.jpg
DSC04438.jpg
epr80p.jpg
n711281722896686766tl6.png
bwindow.jpg
bwshoes.jpg
yfyf20080529relx4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads