1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWN - The best of

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Foo: plz in future get 3b coatz.

kthxbai.

2. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

Anyone know any info about these overcoats? http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8...80303rexv5.jpg
    It was a collaboration between a Japanese retailer called Beyes and a Swedish printmaker (hence the orange check). Quite cheap too, about $300, I was chuffed. +1 on all of the il Vecchio admiration. It is an extremely refined aesthetic, distilled even, and clearly comes with age and experience. Maximum possible with minimum required.

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Damn I already forgot I had that jacket

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Nice jacket, didn't know you acquired it.

5. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Well-Known Member

Please keep 'em coming. Inspiring.

6. barims

barims Well-Known Member

I like the understated nature of his suits - dark, simple colors. while I like a lot of the more "Dandyish" stuff people wear, it isn't for me. IV wears stuff that I would love to wear.

the issue of not trying too hard is also a big one. he looks very natural, and simple. it looks like no thought has gone into what he is wearing.

Some, including me, would argue that this would make IV a dandy himself. His style seem to be what some dandies grow into as they approach a more dignified age and begin to dress accordingly. I like his look for more or less the same reasons I admire my abovementioned uncle or Prince Charles - classic English tradition. I plan to occupy a hinterland between flamboyance and sobriety in the next few years and hope to be as close as possible to this sort of ideal a few more years after that

7. bluemagic

bluemagic Well-Known Member

Contrast this with what is unavoidable with most people who post, simply because of age or background. I would say that a great majority of people in WAYWRN have not figured out how they want themselves to look, or if they have, they are often unable to or unwilling to make the leap and investment into looking as they wish and sticking with it. Reinvention is not effortless...it can be edgy, it can be interesting, it can be mortifyng...but it is not effortless. Again, this is not a criticism...it is rather inevitable since the generational chain of men teaching boys how to dress was long ago sundered. Nearly everyone starts out on their own now. Nearly all flop around like fishes out of water for a time...and maybe, forever.

Let's get back to more good pics! Thank you again, Il Vecchio, for showing us one standard of elegance. It's not the only one...let's see more!

- B

Another great VS comment/essay. It strikes at the core.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I must have been drinking very heavily the first half of 2008; I remember seeing about 10% of these pictures.. [​IMG]

9. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised that the little tangent that I posted was so interesting to many. It was very gracious of Il Vecchio (thank you, S!) for tolerating the additional images that I posted, and my further comments about his tailor which I offered because I thought they provided some interesting clues to why he looks so debonair.

Moreover, the photographs are wonderful. The extremes of appeal or dismay are most easily reached with a natural atmosphere, which his has, but those of us who blur or crop out our faces will not have except rarely.

Keep in mind that Il Vecchio's soft-tailored clothes were made in the 80s and 90s. I don't believe that he had anything new made after Mr. Russell died. So: these garments that you see are worn in, physically and psychologically they have become old friends. They are 20th century clothes worn in the 21st century. This is one of the things about bespoke tailoring that is antithetical to the concept of consumer RTW fashion. Why is he comfortable in his clothes? Well, he knows them very well. He chose them carefully. He had them made by someone who knew what he was doing. And he's worn them for awhile.

It is a formula that works.

Contrast this with what is unavoidable with most people who post, simply because of age or background. I would say that a great majority of people in WAYWRN have not figured out how they want themselves to look, or if they have, they are often unable to or unwilling to make the leap and investment into looking as they wish and sticking with it. Reinvention is not effortless...it can be edgy, it can be interesting, it can be mortifyng...but it is not effortless. Again, this is not a criticism...it is rather inevitable since the generational chain of men teaching boys how to dress was long ago sundered. Nearly everyone starts out on their own now. Nearly all flop around like fishes out of water for a time...and maybe, forever.

Let's get back to more good pics! Thank you again, Il Vecchio, for showing us one standard of elegance. It's not the only one...let's see more!

- B

Well done, sir! I believe you've hit at least a couple nails on the head with the one brief post, beginning with your cogent analysis of what makes Il Vecchio's look so appealing to so many here, and ending with the fact that so many of us continue to struggle to achieve that level of serenity and confidence in our own sense of style. Fast approaching 50, I still struggle to identify with a look that is truly my own, that says to me this is who I am. Of course aging can play into that, and some clothing I might have considered more "me" 20 years ago, now feels too young.

At any rate, I am enjoying this best of '08 retrospective, so please carry on...

10. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

May [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Colors/tint are off in the pic, but I have a feeling I would have loved this in person: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Foxx needs to embrace his inner Iammatt and undo another button, but this is still nice: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Well-Known Member

?? I'm quite serious. Perhaps I'm just an idiot.

Obviously, this is a very well-dressed man, colors and textures and all that, but to me, the cuts that tend to stand out are Matt's, vox's, Doc's, even yours. Perhaps I like a bit more muscular look with a strong chest and waist suppression. I'm looking at il vecchio's, and clearly I am missing something that is flooring everyone else. I came to SF to learn... so here I am, humbly asking a question.

Oh, so you like muscular men? [​IMG]

12. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Foo--

IMHO, this is shot offers a wonderful appereciation of how good your stuff looks. The posed shots in your apartment pale in comaprison.

Please, more action shots in light of day!!

+1

This was one of the first shots I saw when I first came to SF, and it's my favourite by far, though your DB shot is a close second.

Loosen up, man! [​IMG]

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

May

[​IMG]

Yes! I'd missed that one myself when I was scanning through the year's pics, but this one from LK is a definite pick. Love that coat.

14. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

One of my favorite posts- Socal is wearing his Raf Flintstone outfit

My wife and I were walking up Madison Avenue a few hours ago on our way to RL to check out sandals.

As you approached she nudged me and said, "Whatever you do, try to avoid what the guy in the mumu is wearing on his feet."

And you were on 76th going TO RL? That means I would have passed you while walking with you not towards you.

The only guy who I noticed that took note was a fellow in front of the Whitney who was dressed pretty dapper. I could say an RLPL or toned down Etro look. Want to say there was either purple or green and gingham in the outfit.

Actually, we were on the way from the Mansion to the temp Polo sport location.

That was me. Purple gingham shirt, green cardigan, brown cord jacket, cuffed denim and scotch grain brogues.

My first WAYWRN. Via your eyes.

There is something very postmodern about this.

15. tutee

tutee Well-Known Member

16. bmulford

bmulford Well-Known Member

Who knew there was this much love for Il Vecchio.

17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Is it love or fear?

If he's not already the lord of London's criminal underworld he certainly could play the same in the next Guy Ritchie movie where he would simply known as The Italian.

The colour of his pocket square? The colour of your blood, mate.

lefty

18. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

I like his shoes best. I bet they don't hurt his feet either like mine :'(

19. EasyGoing

EasyGoing Well-Known Member

Foo--

IMHO, this is shot offers a wonderful appereciation of how good your stuff looks. The posed shots in your apartment pale in comaprison.

Please, more action shots in light of day!!

[​IMG]

[/quote]

+1000. Everything looks great and it's all stuff that has been posted and hashed to death previously. Luca looks pretty good too.

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Luca's coat has the correct number of buttons.