• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ways to sew on buttons

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If a demonstration is performed, the background music must be "Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite" by the Beatles.

Over men and horses, hoops and garters, lastly thru a hogshead of real fire. In this way, Mr. K will challenge the world.

BjornH

Reaction score
This is so sad. I'm getting all excited over this thread and saving every page. I really should get a life.... B

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is so sad. I'm getting all excited over this thread and saving every page. I really should get a life.... B
I am mentally picturing how to sew these buttons on with every subsequent post.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to take still photos. Trying .... trying .... I want a Digital Video Camera...
cry.gif

HitMan009

Reaction score
Question for Mr. Kabbaz:

How many buttons can you sew with 800yds of thread?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for HitMan009: Will you share what you have been smoking?
smile.gif

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for HitMan009: Will you share what you have been smoking? Â
smile.gif
Only here can one find exchanges like this.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Question for HitMan009: Will you share what you have been smoking? Â
smile.gif
Hey, this is a question worthy of answering.... I picked up a spool of button thread and it is 800yds long. What have I been smokin? Those were back in the jolly good old days in college. The only smoke I have inhaled was from the burning exchanges in the black suit thread.
laugh.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize you were serious. A spool of cotton glacÃ
00a9.png
#24 is 220 yards long. It lasts us about 75 shirts at an average of 14 buttons per shirt. You must either have a VERY large spool or it is not cotton glacÃ
00a9.png

Apologies for the implication.

uriahheep

Reaction score
An average of 14 buttons per shirt? This is assuming a lot, but assuming an average of 6 or 7 buttons per shirt front, 1 collar button, 1 button on each cuff and 1 button on each sleeve placket this adds up to 11 or 12 buttons per shirt. Or do your clients more commonly request 2 buttons on each cuff and 2 collar buttons, adding up to 14-15 buttons for a shirt?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the 800 yard cotton glacee thread at specialty fabirc stores. Big, and sort of inpractical, I think. On a related note, I am thinking about purchasing an old school Singer. Alex, any recommendations? Also, what price range is reasonable for a reasonable machine?

uriahheep

Reaction score
LAG, be sure to buy an industrial machine. The motors in industrial machines are usually much much better than those in home sewing machines and would be better suited for the work I'm guessing you would do with denim.

Look at Pfaff.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise a Singer 95 (very old, but simple and strong as hell) or a Singer 491 (1970's-1980's). You might find a 95 for under $100. The 491 will go between $250-$350 if in decent condition. Given the choice I would go for a good 491.

Anything newer (591) is too fast and the stitch is not as good.

Yes, we figure at 14 buttons per shirt. Two per collar. Five for sleeves/cuffs(which averages out single and double button cuffs). Seven for front.

EDIT:
Pfaff is also an excellent machine. They aren't as prevalent at the used machine dealers, however. No Juki (except sergers), No Union Special unless you want double-needle chainstitch, No Consew, No Reece, NO NO NO Brother, No home machines.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Just for reference, I picked up this thread at http://www.sewtrue.com/Thread.html Went to the store in Manhattan though It's model number:TDU-24 Don't know if the price is good, but I thought so.... BTW, Where would one pick up an old sewing machine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads