1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Watches - what would you choose

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DubyaEE, Aug 14, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Lolz, of course we are cool. I wasnt offended in the least broski.

2. in stitches

3. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I'll add my 2 cents. I have 'average' sized wrists and have a non GT Reverso that looks fine on me as a dress watch, it does look small if I wear it on 'bare arms' eg with a polo shirt.

4. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

I still think the Hampton is a better bet than the Cartier; they are similar quality, in my opinion (though one has a more prestigious name) and you can find a better discount on a brand new B&M. Reverso still beats either, though.

5. papa kot

papa kot Well-Known Member

Do not worry, I am quite sure you look fine if you don't follow today's fad of gigantic watches. If anything, a smaller watch on a bigger wrist looks better than a big watch on a small wrist.

Also, when you work in any industry where you have direct relationships with clients based on fees, e.g. financial advisory, selling insurance, etc., it is best to have a watch you can tuck under a sleeve, as it is gaudy to flash an expensive piece of jewelry, so the clients do not have to say, "Ah, I see where my money goes!"

6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

it is, no doubt. thanks for asking.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Papa Kot...those are definitely some great suggestions, although the Tribute 1931 Reverso is probably going to be well beyond the OP's budget even if he can find a used one.
    Baume & Mercier is a good brand, but saying B&M is similar quality to Cartier is generalization. B&M and Cartier really are only similar in quality of one is comparing a B&M to say a Tank Francais or a Santos, both of which use ETA movements as a base...and even then the Cartier will have better resale or trade in value if the OP wants to trade or sell the watch someday to get a different watch. There are even some places I know that won't take anything other than high end brands such as Patek, Lange, AP, VC or well known brands such as Cartier and Rolex in trade or for purchase.

Also, if one is talking about a pre-owned or vintage manual wind classic Louis Cartier Tank, Tank XL, Tank Obus, Tank Americain, etc, its generally going to be a much finer watch than a B&M and use an F.Piguet, Piaget, or JLC base as for a movement. Again these are going to have better resale/trade in value if the OP ever tires of the watch and wants to sell or trade them.

8. TimelesStyle

You are absolutely right. I was thinking in terms of 1) mainstream cartier pieces (SS/two-tone Tank, Santos, Pasha, Roadster) and 2) buying watches to keep, not trade. However I recognize that only Rolex and possibly Panerai maintain their value better than Cartier (when it comes to mainstream, mass-produced watches) so that is definitely worth considering.

9. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Well-Known Member

Zenith makes great watches.

10. in stitches

+1. i have a B&M that my wife gave me, and i love it. but i dont think i would ever compare them to cartier.

they do, but they are not everyones cup of tea.

11. TimelesStyle

They're still very well made, but the styling is much gaudier than about a decade ago, when they were just about the most understated of all timepieces. Manufacture movements, decent prices and discounts, complete stealth look. Unfortunately LVMH did their thing to the brand...

12. Dino944

Just a quick note with respect to the Pasha, their old time only watches used basic ETA movements. However, most Pasha's have used some really impressive movements from F.Piguet, GP, Gerald Genta, Piaget, and JLC. So I would say that elevates the Pashas above the level of say the Santos Galbee or the Tank Francais or many offerings from B&M.
    Its really a shame what became of Zenith. They really were a bargain considering what they were offering years ago in terms of designs and movements.

13. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Well-Known Member

Don't beat em up too bad!

[​IMG]

14. Dino944

Its not my favorite design in terms of dial, but its not even close to being one of their worst designs.

15. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Well-Known Member

16. Apollotrader

Can we get back on point and discuss watches??

17. TimelesStyle

Where are you seeing a genuine Tank for under $1k, and which version?

18. Dino944

The Tanks that are in that price range are part of Cartier's long discontinued Les Must line of watches, which had gold plated sterling silver cases and I believe most are quartz. Its definitely NOT as high end or as finely finished as the Louis Cartier Tank and Tank XL. Personally, I think there are far better watches from Cartier and other brands that one can buy rather than a Les Must Tank, if one has a budget of $4K, as the OP does.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  19. Apollotrader

20. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

I just took a look at the JLC Master Compressor page and apart from the Tribute to Deep Sea they all look like cartoon watches.

I the OP's position I would choose a used IWC Portuguese or a Zenith Captain. If you want a complication which is subtle and useful go for a power reserve or dual time.