• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches - what would you choose

-Ace-

Reaction score
Have you looked at Ball? It would definitely be "less" mainstream, they have quite a few models from 40 to 43mm which would be ideal for a smaller wirst, and they are a quality piece.

DubyaEE

Reaction score
Rooster, that is a beautiful watch. Unfortunately, I am looking for something that can be work for dress and casual purposes. I would also note that I am fairly young (early thirties) and my work environment is not conservative. It's a mix of people that dress in suits and those that wear polos with khakis

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi,

Looking to decide between some watches.  I am a male, banker, and have a thin wrist, so please keep that in mind.  Narrowed it down to these two:

1.  http://www.jomashop.com/jaeger-lecoultre-watch-q2518411.html 

Prestigetime says the above watch is a ladies watch!?!?!

2.  http://www.jomashop.com/montblanc-star-mens-8451.html

Thanks for your thoughts and other suggestions are welcome in this price point.

first link does not work for me.

the MB is cool. Reverso is already in the game, so I'm out. nvm.

Last edited:

AlexG33

Reaction score
Considering your budget and the fact you want something rather thin due to your small wrist why not consider vintage, you can find something from great houses like Vacheron, Patek or Audemars at around 4k!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Master Compressor will be too large and thick, given what you've described. Consider the Master Ultra Thin or else a slightly larger Reverso. If doing the Reverso, I'd get the manual wind movement.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering your budget and the fact you want something rather thin due to your small wrist why not consider vintage, you can find something from great houses like Vacheron, Patek or Audemars at around 4k!
+1

$4K might not get you a Patek, but you can probably find a good vintage AP or VC in that price range.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

first link does not work for me.
the MB is cool. Reverso is already in the game, so I'm out. nvm.

WHY DO YOU HATE REVERSOS SO MUCH

silvercitynyc

Reaction score
Where are the best places to shop mint pre-owned and vintage watches around NYC?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

WHY DO YOU HATE REVERSOS SO MUCH

since an avid watch collector told me that these are strictly for wimminz. i would buy one for my wife but never for myself. c'est la vie...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

since an avid watch collector told me that these are strictly for wimminz. i would buy one for my wife but never for myself. c'est la vie...

Are you aware of the term describing avid watch collectors WIS - Watch Idiot Savant? I think your collector friend fits this description well, minus the "watch" and the "savant". His statement to you is categorically false and fails to account for:

1. The fact that JLC markets the watch for men (in the larger sizes).

2. Many men wear them.

3. Perhaps most importantly, the history of the piece. Do either of you know the Reverso's origins???? It was designed in the 1930s for polo players so that they could wear their timepieces without risk of them getting smashed. Polo, at that time, was most certainly a men's-only sport, so the watch was designed with guys (and might I add, guys who ride around on horses swinging sticks) in mind.

While the Reverso, even in its larger iterations, is on the smaller side for a gents piece by today's standards (as far as current trends are concerned, at least) the same could easily be said for the Rolex Datejust, which plenty of men certainly continue to buy. While women are increasingly buying watches initially intended for men, in keeping with the "large watch" trend, that does not, in any way, make them "women's watches".

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dude above spelled it out the long way, but your friend is just plain old wrong.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dude above spelled it out the long way, but your friend is just plain old wrong.

no, it was a whole group and all made sense till today. sorry to disappoint you and the dude above. he's blocked from now and can safe his answer, period.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no, it was a whole group and all made sense till today. sorry to disappoint you and the dude above. he's blocked from now and can safe his answer, period.

You know, it would be a lot easier to respond to your insults if you could phrase them in proper English. Just saying...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads