1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Watch & suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Nov 18, 2004.

1. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

wait, you have spent 60K on watches but buy suits on ebay?

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Who said I spent $60k on watches? My AP and some of my Rolexes were gifts, I've bought about half of the watches that I own.

Also, since when are having money and buying things at a discount mutually exclusive? Does spending $90k on a car mean that I'm not allowed to buy suits on ebay?

3. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

i'm sorry, i'm not trying to pass judgment, i was just surprised. i'm only 23, but, personally, i hope at least that by the time i spend 90k on a vehicle, i won't be bothered to bargain hunt and will splurge for the service high-end men's stores provide.

4. Styleman

Styleman Well-Known Member

That's called being stupid with your money, and thus its probably not likely that you will ever have that kind of money in that case.

5. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

i don't think so. i understand that most people on here might disagree. however, i still think there is something to be said for walking into bergdorff's or barney's or wherever and just having a sales associate bring you clothes and espresso while you try things on without being aware of "price". luxorious clothing/accessories are just that--a luxory. i also enjoy the experience of shopping for clothes and feeling fabrics, etc... far more than i enjoy bargain hunting. when i can spend basically 6 figures on an automobile i, personally, will indulge myself in my clothes shopping as well.

6. drizzt3117

I guess I've never been particularly concerned about level of service when it comes to buying things, I like to browse on my own, and since I set a budget for myself, I can purchase more high end goods if I purchase them on ebay and at discounters. I'll add more to this later, heading to a meeting now.

7. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

oh, "styleman" there's no reason for you to ad hominem and assume i won't be able to earn high wages. don't be so defensive, i'm entitled to stray from the groupthink from time to time and, among other things, prefer barneys to ebay.

also, your logic is soft. being profligate and unwise with money says nothing of your ability to be a high wage-earner or to come into money.

8. Styleman

And you speak from experience?

9. Styleman

You call my logic soft, yet your examples are Barneys and Ebay?
    Read location - London, is there a Barneys in London?

10. Styleman

11. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

no there's a harvey nichols, are you saying you don't have access to good stores?

12. Styleman

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Hey Styleman and @riss, cool it. I think that I would like both the cachet of knowing where the deal is to be found *and* being able to walk into Wilkes or Selfridges and having people fetch me all sorts of things while I sip cappucino (actually, I've done this before with both parties knowing full well I couldn't afford a hankerchief. A store with good service does not discriminate between its clientele except in the positive sense.)

14. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

That's a goof price, I agree.

Can you have this on all watches?

15. drizzt3117

ernest,

I know that I can get that level of pricing on Breitling and IWC, and on some Rolexes, of course, on some others, like the SS Daytona Chronograph, you will be able to get minimal discounts. I will sometimes shop for watches in HK and other places in Asia as well, as you can get quite good rates there. I have heard that there are some shops in Germany that have great prices on Patek and Lange, but I have yet to go there for that.

16. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

i agree with you LA Guy. my whole point was not about being snobbish--i just really enjoy that type of service and i enjoy the act of physically shopping for clothes when i have access to the stores i like.

17. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

I know about Asia. I was asking about NY, where you told having pick up your watches.

How can you have 50% ? Have you got a friend in watches?

18. drizzt3117

@riss, Here are my thoughts on what you said before, I have a bit more time to write now as I am done with my meeting. I'm 28, so not too much older than you, but probably a significantly different perspective on things. It might sound cool to drop $5.5k on a Brioni suit at Wilkes, and it could feel nice to be catered to for a couple hours, but once you get home, you have more or less the same thing that you could have by paying $1500 on ebay or at Filene's. I have paid cash for expensive items in the past, but it doesn't feel "good" for me to do so, even if I can afford it, I feel like I am somewhat ripped off, regardless. This happens whether the object is expensive or not, it's probably a personality trait. I have a fairly loosely budgeted amount of money set aside for traveling, clothes, vacations etc, and would like to get the most out of it by getting the best value for my money. I have a habit of spending a large amount of money at restaurants and hotels, which you can't get substantial discounts on for the most part, and would like to maximize my ability to do so. The majority of my income goes back into the real estate market as I prefer to spend money to make more [​IMG] I don't think I would change my lifestyle too much if I had 10 or 100 times as much money as I currently have. I would likely still work, as I enjoy building (and sometimes selling) companies. I may travel a bit more than I currently do (although I am away almost every weekend) and go a bit farther afield for a longer period of time, but not too much else would likely change.

19. drizzt3117

ernest, I know some shops that give good discounts, and I do have some connections yes, the father of a buddy that I went to college with owns a jewelry store that sells Rolex and some other brands, and I can sometimes get good deals there but I prefer not to, if necessary. I also have a couple relatives (uncles, etc.) in the business but most of the stuff they sell are not of my taste (lots of gold, old school Asians love gold for whatever reason [​IMG] ) If you liked Breitling, I could tell you a shop that offers 35% off on Breitling stuff, but since you don't like it...

20. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

I do not like Breit in general that's true. Next week I am buying this = :http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli...idproduct=1486 I guess this is a amasing value for money.