1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Washington Post article on "renaissance" of American menswear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bryce330, Jul 10, 2006.

1. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

I still think its awkward timing to bring the close fitting suit back at a time when a large sector of the population is obese.

I agree. If this does become a mainstream look, who is going to wear it when middle America is largely obese?

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I agree. If this does become a mainstream look, who is going to wear it when middle America is largely obese?

so clothing labels should cater to fat people and make everything supersized like their fries? fuck that, I like the fact that the clothing brands I am into only cater to skinny guys. I dunno man, there's way too much consideration for fat people these days, making everything larger to accomodate them, hence just enabling them to stay fat.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Go into Barneys, Jeffrey, Ron Herman. Not too many obese customers, if any. Even down at the pricepoint of Banana Republic or Lucky, the typical customer is not obese. They may be on their way there, but for the time being, they are relatively young and relatively fit (using the term very generously here).

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

so clothing labels should cater to fat people and make everything supersized like their fries? fuck that, I like the fact that the clothing brands I am into only cater to skinny guys. I dunno man, there's way too much consideration for fat people these days, making everything larger to accomodate them, hence just enabling them to stay fat.
    There is some room in the market for clothing labels that cater to fat people. There could be a lot of money in it. But no, not everybody has to do it.

But you have to admit that the mixed messages of gluttony and skinny clothes being fed to the masses are contradictory.

Making clothes smaller doesn't make people get fit, it makes them buy less clothes to avoid the disappointment or, worse yet, forces them into ghastly stretchy workout clothes and flip-flops because nothing else fits.

Go into Barneys, Jeffrey, Ron Herman. Not too many obese customers, if any. Even down at the pricepoint of Banana Republic or Lucky, the typical customer is not obese. They may be on their way there, but for the time being, they are relatively young and relatively fit (using the term very generously here).
    Barneys and Jeffrey aren't attracting a lot of obese people, to be sure. But as the aestheic filters down to the stores where fatter people shop, it's not going to work out very well. I think some average Joes will try hitting the gym to keep up, but if the people at your local mall look like the ones at my local mall, I don't think it will translate.

5. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

But you have to admit that the mixed messages of gluttony and skinny clothes being fed to the masses are contradictory.

Making clothes smaller doesn't make people get fit, it makes them buy less clothes to avoid the disappointment or, worse yet, forces them into ghastly stretchy workout clothes and flip-flops because nothing else fits.

Barneys and Jeffrey aren't attracting a lot of obese people, to be sure. But as the aestheic filters down to the stores where fatter people shop, it's not going to work out very well. I think some average Joes will try hitting the gym to keep up, but if the people at your local mall look like the ones at my local mall, I don't think it will translate.

It will work out the same as the overweight ladies wearing the pants that allow their bellies to overlap into the gap left below the short top. Just absulutely horrid.

Let us hope that men are not so silly.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

They're going to pull a Karl Lagerfeld.

7. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

I want the socks that the guy has in this picture. I've been searching high and wide for "ankle-height dress socks" and have been unable to find them. Does anybody have any ideas.

Here's a link to the picture:

Ankle high dress socks

Woah. I like what I see of that suit except for the Texas sized patch of leg [​IMG]

8. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

I think it was a well-written article, but upon reading it I couldn't help this queasy being-sold-to (as opposed to something-being-reported on) feeling washing over me. Maybe because I don't think the New York menswear scene it's championing is worth the a quarter the ink being spilled over it right now. They're a marketing machine at work, not a compelling vision of how men should dress. The only interesting designer in recent memory to come out of there was Varvatos, and his inspiration fizzled out pretty quickly.

Or maybe I'm just basically not a "fashionista." I guess deep down if I could wear anything five years ago, today, or probably five years from now (assuming I still can) it would be the same ol' variety of Attolini suits and jacket and not the latest new trend whatever it may be. (Not that I actually own any Attolini; a few Attolini made Barbera jackets and a suit, but I'm making a point.) And if that's fashionable, great. But if not, fine with me.