1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Warhol Factory X Levi's

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by moosy, Apr 8, 2006.

1. moosy

moosy Well-Known Member

I was at Stel's today, and as usual they had nice stuff. WHat intrigued me was the Warhol Factory X Levi's, which have intesretung details (Link) , the fit was very nice (on the skinny side) but the quality didn't seem great.

Anyone knows these denim's story? Any thoughts?

2. Max

Max Well-Known Member

They're 501s that have a skull bleached into them and cost about 5 times as much as they should. Just get some shrink-to-fit 501s and a tide bleach pen.

3. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

The ones you linked are the 501s, but there are also these Strummer cut (slimmer fit). Both have printing on the inside which you may (or may not) find cool or worthwhile, as well as the silver patch, the unique buttons on the fly and the other details. The denim quality is okay, nothing outstanding. I found the fit of the Strummers to be great on me and I love Warhol, so I went ahead and bought them though I agree with Max they are overpriced for what they are.

As for the story, I assume Levi's simply licensed the rights to use the Warhol name and images as a way of selling to another niche market. It worked on me. [​IMG]

4. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I love warhol, but I'd save my $265 for a couple nice coffee-table books of his artwork.

5. Ahaz

Ahaz Well-Known Member

The ones you linked are the 501s, but there are also these Strummer cut (slimmer fit). Both have printing on the inside which you may (or may not) find cool or worthwhile, as well as the silver patch, the unique buttons on the fly and the other details. The denim quality is okay, nothing outstanding. I found the fit of the Strummers to be great on me and I love Warhol, so I went ahead and bought them though I agree with Max they are overpriced for what they are.

As for the story, I assume Levi's simply licensed the rights to use the Warhol name and images as a way of selling to another niche market. It worked on me. [​IMG]

Interesting. Pictures?

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

I've quoted the Philosophy of Andy Warhol at length elsewhere, but here's the reader's digest version:

The ones made by Levis Strauss are the best-cut, best-looking pair of pants that have ever been designed by anybody. Nobody will ever top the original bluejeans. They can't be bought old, they have to be bought new and they have to be worn in by the person. To get that look. And they can't be phoney bleached or phoney anything.

7. tangerine

Interesting. Pictures?

Buttons, Warhol Rivet:

[​IMG]

Warhol images on inside:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. denimdestroyedmylife

those are beauties...
    i would be afraid to wear them

9. tangerine

those are beauties...
    i would be afraid to wear them

Thanks. That's why I took the pics, so that once I've "ruined" them, I'll still know what they once looked like.

10. Ahaz

Ahaz Well-Known Member

In the Levi pictures, they look like the cuffs are permanently stiched that way. True?

11. tangerine

No, they're not stitched.

The pics on the Levi's site differ in a few ways from the jeans I've seen in the store. It may be the ones on the web site were actually stitched.

12. denimdestroyedmylife

I'd be tempted to wear them inside out.