1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wardrobe Maintenance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 29, 2012.

1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Every 6 months or so, I will sort of power clean my shirts that need it (collars, cuffs, pits). I use the following method and its very effective for me and doesnt cost me a lot of time:

1) Shirts go in a bucket with warm water and OxyClean
    2) Take a shirt out of the bucket, Fels Naptha soap rubbed on the collar/ pits/ cuffs as necessary, then a quick scrub with a nylon brush to raise a little lather and work the soap into the fabric. This step takes literally 30 seconds a shirt
    3) Put scrubbed shirt(s) into a garbage bag to soak over night. Launder normally the following day.

I am a sweatier than usual guy, so the above is necessary for me to prolong the life of my shirts and not let them get dingy and funky...

2. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

well, Ecru/cream shirts are supposed to be pretty nice too. :satisfied:

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I mean it just seems like a quarterly dry cleaning would be much easier.

4. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

it would. but minimal effort puts forth minimal results.

5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

My routine takes about 30 minutes, plus the normal wash cycle, but gets the shirts very clean, removes stains and smells and my shirts look almost new. Dry cleaning would require me to drive to the cleaners, wait a day, drive back to pick them up, pay for the service and still not have the shirts really clean and odor free.

I guess it depends on perspective as to which is easier, but this works for me.

6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

As far as dress shirts, before sending them to the cleaners I wash them. For colors I simply spray with Shout around the neck. White shirts, I scrub the collar and arm pits with a brush and a diluted mixture of bleach, water and laundry soap every now and then if they begin to look yellow. I'm always doing a load of colors or whites anyway so this isn't a hassle.

I have never found dry cleaning of shirts to be as good at cleaning cotton shirts as regular washing and pressing. I also prefer the feel of laundered shirts. They are a bit more crisp.

1 person likes this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

Hmm, I walk to work and pass the cleaner on the way. Easy peasy. Also the cleaners now and again just to get the collars clean. I'd still wash them and iron them myself in between these trips.

Shout pretty much does nothing for my collars and on top of that it makes the washer sud up way too much and I have to rinse them 100 times to get the soap out. I generally shy away from doing anything that involves scrubbing though.

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Lazy ass

9. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

i think this is the tldr from pB. ;)

10. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

I can attest that this works very well. I tried it on some white shirts that had developed some quite bad yellow stains. Normally, I would have just tossed them but I had had these made up and I would have been sorry to see them go. The results were impressive. And my experience is that you can skip step 4. I also didn't do any brushing. I just left them sitting in the super-concentrated Oxy-Clean overnight. The vinegar does make a big difference though. It doesn't take a lot of effort but you use a lot of Oxy-Clean.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  11. patrickBOOTH

I tried the oxyclean. It didn't do much more than the oxyclean infused detergent does... Also, it left as absolutely offensive chemical smell on my shirts even after rinsing a million times. Whole bucket of Oxy right in the garbage.

12. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

I did a lazy version of what everyone is suggesting. Just warm water and oxyclean, put in a garbage bag in the afternoon and washed the next morning. Results were very impressive. All (or nearly all) yellowness is gone.

Ink stains from pen on shirt remain, which makes me think this treatment would be safe on lighter blues and ecru shirts, too.

Thanks to @DerekS for the original helpful tip. Even lazy/rushed people can disolve some oxyclean and leave the shirt laying around in it overnight....

Will try to post before and after pics tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  13. scatterbrain

Here is a before. White Oxford had gotten pretty gross.
    [​IMG]
    Lazy soak in oxyclean, and wash with oxyclean and detergent, and viola.
    [​IMG]
    Still some small remnant of yellow, deep in the seam, but otherwise no noticeable discolouration in real life.

1 person likes this.
  14. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

kapow!

I'm sure the smell pB is noticing is his smug sense of self worth bleeding thru. AYO

1 person likes this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

Oxyclean sucks.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

You need to stop buying the cheap, Chinese knock-off Oxyclean from the bodega and splash out for the original.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  17. scatterbrain

Lol. I like the consistency.

18. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

says the guy wearing shirts with yellow pits and brown ring around the collar.

19. patrickBOOTH

Well, no because I'm dry cleaning that away. I also don't smell like fertilizer.

20. badsha

badsha Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good garment rack for hanging clothes? I would use it to hang clothes I wear during the week for work. Thank you.