1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Want a career involving investments, which Graduate Degree?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by kwright11, Jul 18, 2011.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

thanks for that but you may have me mixed up with the OP. i am merely asking to learn, not so much applying it to a current position though further down my employment it may be useful. i just wanted to see if anyone from the actual field, which we can agree on uses excel extensively, would have recommendations for reading material before i just pick out any random book. i can see there may be a misunderstanding since i did mention in my OP investment/IB, but i am more interested in the general business analyst day-to-day operations and their use of such applications. fyi, investments/IB is no longer my real interest or priority atm. ...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. BDC2823

BDC2823 Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar position as the op. Will finish up my undergrad in finance in the spring/summer. I'm contemplating my options and thinking about going the MBA route right out of undergrad but not sure. I chose finance because I'm very interested in the field and as such have been learning about investment strategies and investing on my own for years. However, I haven't done much research into prospective finance related jobs. I primarily chose finance because I a) wanted to finish up and get my undergrad degree, and b) figured I might as well get it in a field I enjoy and will find useful even if I don't pursue that specific career path. But I am considering going for the MBA once I'm done with undergrad.

The thing is, my GPA is around 3.0 which is not so good. Chalk that up to not giving a fuck out of high school and moving across country without dropping classes, so I'm carrying F's which really hurt my GPA. Those were all at JC though and I transferred to a state school this past summer and took 15 units with a 3.5 and am taking 18 units this fall with 21 left for spring/summer.

Where I differ from the OP is that I'm going back to school after having dropped out 6 years ago to focus on my career. I have 5 years work experience. Not in the finance sector but in engineering/planning. I spent 5 years as an associate at a traffic engineering/transportation planning firm. I had a six figure income and wrote hundreds of traffic impact analyses for proposed projects that were approved by the city/county/state and are public documents. I've worked with hundreds of clients and governmental agencies from small city engineering and planning departments to the California Dept of Transportation and Office of the Governor. I've represented clients as a consultant at city council/planning commission/community outreach meetings, etc.

So I think my work experience is pretty good and unique, but not sure how that stacks up when considering getting admitted to a good MBA program.

My plan right now is to finally finish my undergrad asap which is why I'm taking the max units allowed per semester that my school allows. It's Cal State Fullerton so it's not a top business school, but it's still the 4th largest b-school in the nation and decent for a state school. I figured that I'll start figuring out my next move next semester as graduation gets closer, but it can't hurt to get advice.

I'm wondering what you guys think my chances are at getting into a good MBA program (I'm thinking I'd only move for a top 3 and might as well apply for the hell of it or get a job and attend USC/UCLA if I can get in). What advice you'd give me for what I should be doing now. Whether you think it'd even be worth it for me to go after that MBA. Any career paths I may want to look into pursuing given my prior work experience.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

3. junior varsity

junior varsity Well-Known Member

unless your parents make a $1M+ donation to the school and have a building named after you... its slim to none ?
    now, you are saying you are around 3.0GPA... you will be competing with kids with 2-3 years of real experience from real companies (GS, MSFT, GOOG etc) on top of their summer internships AND with close to 4.0 GPAs from better undergrad programs (Harvard, MIT, Yale, Stanford etc)...
    you might think you are more hungry than the silver spooned prep school punks, talking is cheap, so if you got F's and D's like freshman and sophomore year and then turned around made deans list every semester for junior and senior year ... that might be fine, because it shows maturity and you are capable of achieving. But what prevents them to throw your shit out of the window before they even read your cover letter explaining your sorry ass situation because your GPA is low?
    And on top of that... those rich kids from ivy level schools probably have better connections than you, their parents most likely are/know high management and would vouch their kids technically a free ride into the company - while poor fools get sucked into the placebo interviews because the company has to conduct interviews to conform with government hiring regulations

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  4. suited

suited Well-Known Member

You could always pursue your CFA instead of the MBA and not worry about admissions.

5. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Do the one that is the most rigourous quantitatively. That isn't the MBA, which really is a generalist degree, though some schools try to fancy it up with some mathematics requirements. Your one and only choice will be econometrics, naturally.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. TomAlso

TomAlso Active Member

Get a math degree, keep a good GPA and you'll be able to find a job in a company with good career opportunities right after college. Generally speaking MBAs are good for networking but they don't really teach much.

7. junior varsity

thats gonna get you a free ticket to being the office bitch

8. meph

meph Active Member

If you're actually looking to get into IB, going to grad school of any kind right now is pretty worthless. Not really sure why you're set on going to grad school anyways... why not just get a job?

9. junior varsity

because they want an IB front office job, not analyst I at some random corporation doing nothing all day

10. meph

meph Active Member

Going to grad school straight out of undergrad is pretty much a guarantee that he won't get a front office IB job.

11. junior varsity

well... if his parents donated $2M to HBS, and he got in and graduated... he can possibly find his ass a job at a BB front office associate position...