1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wallets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david135, May 24, 2005.

1. david135

david135 Active Member

I was wondering what you guys think is the best wallet... I want to get one for graduation and hopefully a new car (keep fingers crossed)... I was looking at a lot of them... Louie Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, or Cartier and a breast pocket style ( i currently have a vintage Cartier wallet and i like it a lot) just to name a few... I was just wondering what would be you guys opinion on which one i should get...And where is the best to buy them... in the store or on the internet like on a website like Eluxury.com any input would be appreciated.

2. david135

david135 Active Member

3. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

All I use anymore is a 3"x4" credit card case. Salvatore Ferragamo is the maker. Good for: driver's license grocery store discount card 1-debit card 1-credit card $20 in cash (weekly ATM withdrawal) http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main....SLOT=15

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

agree with JohnA, as always [​IMG] (john, dude, you get buy on 20 bucks cash a week? I got to get out to Indionapolis, the greater new york region is sucking out my very lifeblood, and costing me way to much in day to day living expenses)

5. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

globetrotter,

I use my debit card for most transactions. Cash is bulky, lost once it's lost, and dangerous because I can't track my purchases as easily. Plus, I take leftovers for lunch. Here's my daily cash usage breakdown:

morning coffee: $1.71
    lunch soda: $1.20
    afternoon coffee: $1.51

All of this is, of course, an elaborate scheme so I may set aside more money for clothing purchases.

John

6. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, I do the same except that I use a Launer credit card case with which I've been quite happy: http://englishhall.com/shopping/54/page/2 Montblanc has some respectable offerings although they tend to be expensive relative to their quality. Both Launer and Montblanc offers several kinds of wallets in addition to credit card cases. dan

7. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

eluxury.com is a LVMH shoppingmall basically. I no longer have a high opinion of most leathergoods sold by Prada or Gucci, while LV and Cartier are obviously getting an even larger premium for their names. Do you want quality or do you want something that you can say is Prada/LV/etc.? Personally the kind of wallet I'd ask for for grad is a full one.

8. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

If you want a brand name for a wallet, forget Gucci and Prada. LV "specializes" in that type of good, so you ask for one of those. I can vouch for their quality. Mine is fine, and my dad has had the same Taiga LV wallet for like 20 years. (Not sure if it's taiga, but it's a black calf skin) and it's fine.

9. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

I have Launer's "visiting/credit card" case Link. Very pleased with the quality as well as the service from English Hall.

10. dorian

dorian Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren Purple Label Crocodile bill fold, fold-over wallet or credit card case. In brown.

It will last you for years, and it gets better with age.

11. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

i have a great jack spade wallet that i got on sale. i travel for a living and i have to carry around lots of things on my person, so i need a full size bifold wallet. the benefit this wallet provides is its very rigid and will not expand, so i cannot overstuff it, and it stays slim.

i couldn't find a picture on his website, but the outer piece is a dark grey canvas.. its hard to describe, but it has a very professional look to it. i enjoy it.

12. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

Swaine Adeney Brigg.

13. seok

seok Well-Known Member

re: the thin ferragamo wallet, what do you do when you purchase a $3 item, at a cash-only place, producing the change?

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

i have no name rubbish

one of these days i'll get an alligator one, but that time is not now

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

An Hermes in crocodile with rolled gold edges, and your initials stamped in gold foil.

16. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Swaine Adeney bridle leather wallet in London Tan.

I've had one for about a month, and I love its smell and texture. It is warm to the touch and ages very nicely. In fact it is gathering patina as I type, and even developed fine stretch marks as it comforms to the way you keep your wallet. It will definitely look better with age.

17. Will

Will Well-Known Member

You can buy the Swaine's from their web site. They last for decades. Not as continental as Hermes or LV, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

18. david135

david135 Active Member

Thanks guys i will probably get a Swaine wallet... thanks for all the help guy