• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to think that he started to do the unbuttoned collar as influenced by foof, which helps my above point.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I tend to think that he started to do the unbuttoned collar as influenced by foof, which helps my above point.

No, I think PG has done that for quite some time, maybe even before posting pictures.

It's a more subtle artifact of the well-known Agnelli-isms, and I doubt anyone seen doing it here adopted it from any one else on SF.

Doc also Foofs his collar from time to time.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Alright, let's say that you are right.

Do you think that this is the case with the degree of acceptance or approval of PG's informalizing touches in his tailored clothing ensembles?

You are a fair person to ask since I penned the terms "Foofed" and "Foofy" to describe certain things, particularly, the unbuttoned OCBD collar.

With respect to PG? I dunno. I like the way he dresses, but who knows what forces are converging to form that opinion in me? I don't think there's a measuring stick for this sort of thing. The most that can be said is that external influences can affect how we judge things, even when we do not recognize those influences. Moreover, the nature of such influences is that they are not easily recognizable. Both entirely discounting the influence of those influences and assuming that only those influences operate to form our opinions would be folly. Everyone wants to believe he's apart from the herd.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
No, I think PG has done that for quite some time, maybe even before posting pictures.

It's a more subtle artifact of the well-known Agnelli-isms, and I doubt anyone seen doing it here adopted it from any one else on SF.

Doc also Foofs his collar from time to time.

- B

Regarding the Foofed collar - I tried this look in "real life" and had four people comment on it with the same sentiment: "why is that unbuttoned?"

Sometimes things that are viewed as cool or hip or trendy on SF are viewed as ridiculous, lame and stupid in real life.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Sometimes things that are viewed as cool or hip or trendy on SF are viewed as ridiculous, lame and stupid in real life.

The real question is whether this matters. It's possible that 'real life' people are just less well-informed or socially directed toward a competing norm. Or maybe your collar looked stupid.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The real question is whether this matters. It's possible that 'real world' people might just be less well-informed or socially directed toward a competing norm. Or maybe your collar looked stupid.

I bet myself $100 that you would be the first to chime in and that you could not escape adding that tidbit somewhere in your reply. Bravo.

To answer, I guess it doesn't matter, as we all dress solely for ourselves.
lookaround.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
With respect to PG? I dunno. I like the way he dresses, but who knows what forces are converging to form that opinion in me? I don't think there's a measuring stick for this sort of thing. The most that can be said is that external influences can affect how we judge things, even when we do not recognize those influences. Moreover, the nature of such influences is that they are not easily recognizable. Both entirely discounting the influence of those influences and assuming that only those influences operate to form our opinions would be folly. Everyone wants to believe he's apart from the herd.

Come down from your abstractions and articulate something concrete.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come down from your abstractions and articulate something concrete.

- B

It's a trap. You're asking me to articulate more than I am (or anyone else would be) rationally able to. I generally like PG's style, and I think I like it for substantive style-related reasons, but I'm not willing to say that I know I am not partially subject to forum influence.

You would be assuming quite a lot about other individuals and human nature in saying you know why they say they like something or that you know they are not being socially influenced to some degree.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted. But Vox doesn't need more encouragement
smile.gif

At any rate, even the most knowledgeable and stylish person shouldn't be able to tell you what you think looks good. AAAC died in part because people came to vest too much in the credibility of particular posters.

I agree (on both counts). But, as beginner I felt I needed this kind of guidance and I appreciated it (and still do). Some of the things I thought looked good, well, didn't. LOL Those negative comments are a learning resource, just as Flusser's books and old AA pics are a resource. As I progress, I take more liberties knowing that certain items or combinations are not going to be applauded by the particular credible posters, but do it anyway because that's what I like, and I do it confidently because I understand better why the naysayers don't approve.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AAAC died in part because people came to vest too much in the credibility of particular posters.

I thought AAAC died because one particular poster shouted down everyone else and it quit being fun to go there.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
There's a guy who posts his pics in various poses on AAAC and never, ever, EVER posts comments about anyone else's pictures. Ever.

I find him to be a bastard.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend standing like a mannequin in your own office.

That seems to guarantee absence from the weekly digest.

- B

Don't be so hard on yourself, you'll make it in some day.
thumbs-up.gif

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This, I think, is a subset of the emergence of a StyleForum style. This would make an interesting discussion in itself, but I suspect it would just get mired down in the usual tired talk of groupthink.

I do worry that we're becoming a bit like the Borg, assimilating newcomers so they become like us. In some ways, I think the forum has become more open to new styles, and in other ways I think the forum has a way of homogenizing newcomers. Not necessarily deliberately, mind you. It just seems to happen. I look at WAWY each week and am struck at how many similarities the pictures often share.

I do find the trend toward idol worship a bit odd. PG looks great, but I have no desire to dress like him.

I agree with you. That said (and I know it's been mentioned), a lot of this is just guys coming in who have no idea what they're doing. So you wear KC shoes (not that there's anything wrong with that) and a sack suit that doesn't fit you and you look good compared to 99% of the population and suddenly they discover that there's a company called Edward Green that makes shoes that cost $1200 dollars and are decent value for the money. At risk of adding a stupid analogy to the mix, it's like going from dating girls in a small town in Montana to dating models in NYC. Sure, maybe they should expand to dating the pretty trader or a hot bartender but they need some time to adjust to the leap they've just made. The people who stick around seem to pick and choose what they like and while there are a lot of similarities I think part of that is that the world of menswear is just not that big (at least in MC). I guess there could be more french suits on here, but other than that what's really missing?

Let me help you think outside the tin:

MONICA.jpg

Do you need a horn spoon, or are you fine without?

Let me know.

- B

Jesus Christ.

Alright, let's say that you are right.

Do you think that this is the case with the degree of acceptance or approval of PG's informalizing touches in his tailored clothing ensembles?

You are a fair person to ask since I penned the terms "Foofed" and "Foofy" to describe certain things, particularly, the unbuttoned OCBD collar.

- B

I'll plead guilty to this - I like PG's stuff more because he smiles and he takes excellent pictures. I don't like unbuttoned OCBD collars generally, but on PG I think "what a nice guy, he looks like he's really enjoying having his collar unbuttoned. good for him." I happen to think that he objectively looks quite good and would do so with unbuttoned collar and headless pics, but the fact that he's got the PG grin going in all his well-taken pictures just makes me appreciate the look more.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like clothes. Clothes are fun to wear.

These pages and pages and pages of philosophizing really blow my mind sometimes.
crazy.gif
smack.gif

Also, I like PG's clothes. I wish I had his clothing budget.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the add Vox.

my thoughts on this topic is that if you are an average or above average dresser prior to SF, you would probably not be caught up in the group-think because you have a level of confidence in how you look/dress. in a sense - this is similar to what TC said above.

i absolutely believe that SF makes an individual a better dresser - however i hope that people are not coming here and copying others to create their style, but rather honing their personal style based on bits and pieces they pick up from other posters.

group-think probably affects those who come here with a clean slate looking to learn from scratch (and this is fine). what is important is that as the individual learns how to dress and dress well, it is paramountly important for them to also learn how to dress individualistically.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmmm.

How about approaching the PG thought of the day this way...PG informalizes his ensembles through various techniques...is there a good case to be made that this is the way to give tailored clothes modern significance?

Something more thoughtful than, say, removing your tie.

Maomao also comes to mind.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads