• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is definitly a lighter than navy dupioni. Have a look at Draper's.

Flusser had this one. He had three shades of dupioni: tan, elephant gray, and a slate/AF blue. I really, really wanted the latter. Alan wore it in the shop the day I tried to order it. He talked me out of it. Said it was impractical. A Palm Beach/man of leisure suit. I never forgot it, and eventually got a similar color in mohair.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Sorry for yet another tangent, but I'm wondering if there is a royal blue dupioni or some kind of blue lighter than navy? I'm not having much luck finding those kinds of colors. --Andre
Before it changed hands, the owner of D. Singer Textiles in NYC got me a chart of high quality duppioni silks to choose from. I chose a medium grey and a silvery grey for a sports jacket. I almost chose a bright blue too but I already have a bright blue jacket. I mention this because there were a lot of nice colors on the card and many shades of blue. It was from Italy. If I get a chance I will inspect the fabrics to see if a maker's tag is stapled to it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I don't know for sure

As I recall, it looked a bit too slubby to be Dupioni. I have it on Blueray, I could check.
bounce2.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
In other words: when norms are tossed out for new norms, but without good reason, I think the old norms should be restored since they, at least, rest on experience and less risky magnitudes of change. I think, we have come, as a society, to value change in and of itself (thank you, Mr. President)--I view this as a sort of intellectual disease because it is costly (destabilizing norms that don't necessarily need destabilizing), and it distracts us from changing norms for good reasons.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
What you are lamenting isn't the variation in the nature of the changes but the acceleration of hypermodernity. Too much info is making us loose control and some find it a cause of anguish while others think it is exhilarating.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well, then, back to what I found interesting, back on pages 10 and 13.

It is at least arguable that this idea of accelerating change is wrong. There were far bigger changes in the 50 years from 1900-1950 then from 1950-2000, including the dissolution of a 400 year old world empire and the electrification of cities. The last fifty years have been relatively stable in everything but computers and population.

I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea that somewhere in the 1930's were year 0 in Sartorialist History. Perhaps when the world found its ground shifting under their feet it latched onto the myth of the Upperclass and the images of the AA crystalize this aspirational idea.

I'm also fascinated by the idea that Ralph Lauren capitalized (literally) on this in the Purple Label line.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I'm also fascinated by the idea that Ralph Lauren capitalized (literally) on this in the Purple Label line.

Next week, I might wear a RLPL chalk stripe flannel by Chester Barrie from the first year of the collection...if so, I'll post it in the regular WAYWRN.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The last fifty years have been relatively stable in everything but computers and population.

You neglect the revolution in self-tanning products.

- B

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mere fluff. As is the space race and polyester.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, then, back to what I found interesting, back on pages 10 and 13. It is at least arguable that this idea of accelerating change is wrong. There were far bigger changes in the 50 years from 1900-1950 then from 1950-2000, including the dissolution of a 400 year old world empire and the electrification of cities. The last fifty years have been relatively stable in everything but computers and population. I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea that somewhere in the 1930's were year 0 in Sartorialist History. Perhaps when the world found its ground shifting under their feet it latched onto the myth of the Upperclass and the images of the AA crystalize this aspirational idea. I'm also fascinated by the idea that Ralph Lauren capitalized (literally) on this in the Purple Label line.
In recent times, those AA/Esky plates were referred to publicly mainly by FLusser. Of course designers pore over history (all history) for ideas and I am sure they refer to them amongst other things. But they are not year 0, that's an opinion.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Year 0 also means there is a before as well as an after, and 0 marks are always arbitrary.

But Ann Demeulemeester's historical pickings aren't in the main line of men's clothing, whereas Manton made a strong case that there is nothing really out of the ordinary in many of the AA/Esky drawings. Fuuma had to argue that is was everything is sum that was outlandish, but then, these were fashion shots. It just seems like the main line variations have been Thom Brownesqe re-interpretations of minor details.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"Dear, is that a Foof?" [hands over binoculars]

"Hmmm...big head...resplendent plumage...I think you've finally spotted one, dear."

"I'll check it off in the book." [takes back binoculars]

"Oh my...what is that big, lanky one doing with the large rabbit?" [hands over binoculars again]

"I don't know, but it looks ugly. The rabbit is also a bit odd...it appears to be wearing a waistcoat with...rabbits on it. Is that in our book?"

"Oh, here they are...they're in the New Yorker chapter, in the section on exotic, infiltrating fauna. Apparently, the tall one's native range is the Pacific coast."

[scans edge of forest] "Oh, there's that Kunkle again. With the sun out, it's head really gleams."

"What's he doing?"

"Need I say?"

[laughs] "He must do that five times a day."

"At least."

"Oh, here comes dopey."

"Come on in, D. Here's an extra set of binocs. One lump or two?"

- B

It's the ones you cannot see that ought to worry yourself and the missus. If you listen closely you might just hear them toiling underground: teeming, misshapen and tireless Morlocks -- mining and sapping in the darkness ...
patch[1].gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Year 0 also means there is a before as well as an after, and 0 marks are always arbitrary. But Ann Demeulemeester's historical pickings aren't in the main line of men's clothing, whereas Manton made a strong case that there is nothing really out of the ordinary in many of the AA/Esky drawings. Fuuma had to argue that is was everything is sum that was outlandish, but then, these were fashion shots. It just seems like the main line variations have been Thom Brownesqe re-interpretations of minor details.
There isn't anything inherently wrong with the AA/Esky plates, rather it is how they are approached, interpreted and applied. A fundamental element of design and taste is to borrow and refresh. There are literalists, LITERALISTS as well as people who who panic if they have to make a decision. People can often recognize the fruits of taste and successful interpretation even if they cannot achieve it themselves. Doubtless you know people who can appreciate humor or a joke but are not themselves witty. The suit is a young historically. The 1930s were the first time there was a dynamic international exchange of styles, fabrics, colors what have you which in turn served as a bounty for a magazine or catalog to codify. The 1930s are neither evil nor supreme, they possess plenty of things to adopt and just as many to discard. If one has or wants to develop a sense for clothes, they need to figure out which is which. This is a continuing and hopefully stimulating experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads