1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

Right? It would be cool if the hides were patina'd then they constructed the boot. I get it though, because everything from the welt, the hardware and the stitching is part of the distressing which gives it a really nice look. It is just unfortunate that we are paying a premium for shoes that are almost guaranteed to be flawed out of the box.

1 person likes this.
  2. winston86dit

winston86dit Well-Known Member

Agreed. The funny thing is, is it seems to directly go against some of the ethos of the brand. Hiroki has always talked about making modern items that would one day become vintage so I also find it odd to make products knowing full well they won't last as long.
    There's definitely ways of doing similar distressing without comprising the integrity of the shoe itself. Just needs to be tested some.

On another note, those Brigs from this season, were they just released in Japan? I'm starting to think no one in the US ordered them or was able to get a hold of them and I'm becoming more and more bummed I missed out.

3. Shinoda

Shinoda Well-Known Member

There's no way that they'd discontinue something that's popular. Just look at the grizzly, they've been releasing similar denim / leather combo recently even though at a higher price.

The ICT version doesn't sound like it's worth the extra price then. I don't think one could tell the difference with the patina of normal visvim ver and the ICT ver once they are both worn in, asides the laces and the small tag differences.

4. magnumtobaggan

magnumtobaggan Member

Conversation Topic: Does anyone use they're visvim boots outside of city living (say for hiking, or similar stuff)?

I was scared to use my Scripturas folks because of the painted finish, but I recently noticed the tongue is sewn to the leather liner where the laces are, which seem like a water proofing feature. That Plus the lug sole seems to indicate theyd be decent for hiking.

5. Emixam

Emixam Well-Known Member

I would definitely use my Vis boots in the wild if I was not living in the city. Scriptura have to be one of the toughest Vis boots with the Cochise, but as discussed often here Vis bootsare tough Fashion boots i.o. with Viberg which are more like fashionable workwear boots.

Here are Ruco`s scriptura after 15 miles trek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. magnumtobaggan

magnumtobaggan Member

Double post by accident.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. magnumtobaggan

magnumtobaggan Member

Wow the uppers look fine, but the soles are completely wrecked. Do they not glue the soles as well as welting them? 15 miles seems short for that kind of damage.

8. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

I think the caption was taken a little out of context. Ruco had worn those for years before they went on a hike. The welt is handsewn to the upper but the sole is glued on 90% of models (sans things like poundmaker which have stitching through the sole) to allow easy replacement. This isn't unheard of for this type of boot, they are fashion boots afterall. Most of the modern hiking boots use a lot of machine stitching and synthetic materials which tend to perform better as far as adhesion goes.

9. magnumtobaggan

magnumtobaggan Member

Yeah out of context it was more disconcerting, but seeing as michigan hiking options are usually muddy, maybe it's best to save em for lighter activites.

Anyway added a new pair to the collection, Pizi Serras From FW 2012, the suede was god tier like I was expecting but then the seller told me he had applied repel at some point.

Anyway pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sizing wise I got a ten, which fits well but pinches my second to last toe. I think a 10.5 might have been slightly better fit, but these are not uncomfortable in anyway.

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Halp, I have an irrational want for these.

2 people like this.
  11. abcdefghijkl

abcdefghijkl Member

What are your opinions on suede repellent?
    Yes / No / depends ?
    I did not apply on my dark brown boots but just got sand isdt's and I'm considering it
    Thanks

12. Shinoda

Water repellents are good IMO and doesn't alter the look in any way at least in my eyes. I use it in almost all of the suede and nubuck stuffs that I have.

13. winston86dit

winston86dit Well-Known Member

Love both of these, especially the brown Sanjuro.

My only thing is, is that I think they are way too expensive for being denim.

Aren't they both sold out already as well?

14. magnumtobaggan

magnumtobaggan Member

I personally think it flattens out the nap of the suede, and "hardens" the texture. It doesn't change the look much though.I personally just don't use suede in any chance of inclement weather, and have eraser/brush for dirt/dust.

15. Shinoda

You can always use the suede brush to bring the nap back, no?

16. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

Got the new visvim thorson jacket today, definitely has a repro fit but I enjoy it. The dyeing process is "dorozome" or mud dye. Jacket is object dyed in vegetable source like bark then soaked in mud that acts as a mordant to bond the dye to the jacket. Normally synthetics like nylons are super hard to dye so the jacket only takes on part of the color. The dorozome process also reacts with the nylon to matte the fabric a ton, giving it a look similar to vintage jackets. Riri zips, cow leather pulls, premium wool ribbing and fine polyester lining. Way over the top but as expected from visvim. The color depending on light source varies greatly which is awesome.

makin' my jacket

[​IMG]

natural light

[​IMG]

indoors (can see a hint of dye from the browns in the color)

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  17. ddohnggo

ddohnggo Well-Known Member

holy shit, that's a great piece. does it use the same nylon as the fw thorson? i have that one and it's fantastic. did any US stores buy this piece b/c i haven't seen it at all.

18. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

TBH I dont own the fw thorson, a little too warm for california, so i cannot comment. From the other nylon pieces I own like the iris, its the same but treatment is different. Another difference between this model and the fw edition is the batting in this is cotton poly (i think) whereas the fall model is wool lined which makes it 3x heavier. This will not be released in the US, it was an isetan limited drop with sizes 0 and 1 for the archives demonstration and 1-3 available the weekend after at omotesando. Supposedly there will be a restock in august with a larger size run, no confirmation.

19. badeggcat

badeggcat Well-Known Member

Archive demonstration? Never knew size 0 exist.