1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Visit to Yale for Admissions: Need Clothing Advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pylon, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Pylon

Pylon Well-Known Member

As I prepare to apply for graduate school for Fall 2009, I'm planning a tour of one of my top choice programs at Yale in November. They have three or four tour dates for the program, where prospective students may come, meet with an admissions person, sit in on a class or two, tour the campus, and hopefully make enough of an impression that your application squeaks into the less than 10% accepted.

I have a mediocre GPA from a private Franciscan college, so I am trying to be and appear absolutely outstanding in every other area - GRE scores, work experience since undergrad, personal statement, recommendation letters, etc. I really feel it will also be important to look and be impressive during this tour visit.

I've also been planning on updating my personal style, so I'm not married to anything in particular. My existing worksuits and clothing are nothing spectacular, though not shabby. I am, however, skinny and tall. Any ideas for what to wear? I don't want to look like I'm overdressed (french cuffs, dripping with gold, etc.), poorly dressed or underdressed. Any Yalies here with particular advice? I'd like to put a few hundred dollars into getting something together for this particular day. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Dripping with gold might make it a more interesting look given that I suspect the majority of these people will be in very conservative clothing.

Think Sammy Davis Jr.

3. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

Blazer, tie, nice pants.
    Shine your shoes.

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I think you'd look out of place (in a bad way) if you wore a suit. Wear a nice dark blue blazer, some crisp khakis with no break and some nice brown shoes. Make sure you have a nice leather/briefcase/messenger bag too

5. LabelKing

Wouldn't you want to be make a distinctive appearance at these things?

6. cvac

cvac Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be discouraging, but these "tour programs" for graduate/professional schools usually don't lead to acceptance if you are not otherwise a "shoe in". I wouldn't get worked up about the whole tour thing if I were you.

The blazer with khakis, a buttondown, brown dress shoes and no tie sounds good though.

7. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Well-Known Member

Dripping with gold might make it a more interesting look given that I suspect the majority of these people will be in very conservative clothing.

I would do the dripping with gold as a way to say 'I can pay my own way and much, much more!'.

"Yale could use an international airport!"

8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you want to be make a distinctive appearance at these things?

Distinctive appearance is one thing, being confused for someone who works there...

9. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

A gun, Yale is actually a scary place in many parts. However, there are some nifty independent restaurants.

10. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be discouraging, but these "tour programs" for graduate/professional schools usually don't lead to acceptance if you are not otherwise a "shoe in". I wouldn't get worked up about the whole tour thing if I were you. The blazer with khakis, a buttondown, brown dress shoes and no tie sounds good though.
    That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt. The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.

11. englanderjk

englanderjk Well-Known Member

+1...solid advice

That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt.

The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.

12. LabelKing

I would do the dripping with gold as a way to say 'I can pay my own way and much, much more!'.

Distinctive appearance is one thing, being confused for someone who works there...

I don't think a Sammy Davis Jr.-esque look is going to get you confused with someone who works at Yale.

13. redgrail

redgrail Well-Known Member

A gun, Yale is actually a scary place in many parts. However, there are some nifty independent restaurants.

Yale is not. New Haven certainly is.

Look, this is easy. Khaki chinos, nice brown shoes, plain shirt, navy blazer, repp tie. You'll fit right in, and put no one off.

14. AgentQ

AgentQ Well-Known Member

Stop by J. Press and pick up some gratuitously skull-and-bones emblazoned clothing.

15. redgrail

redgrail Well-Known Member

Stop by J. Press and pick up some gratuitously skull-and-bones emblazoned clothing.
    Dumbest thing you could possibly do.

16. plhoang

plhoang Well-Known Member

Blue suit, white shirt, no tie, black shoes.

You don't want to look like every other undergrad on his way back from a Whiffenpoofs rehearsal, and you don't want to go overboard. You are, after all, trying to set yourself apart and be memorable in a good way.

New Haven really isn't that scary, especially given that it's a lot nicer today than it was when I was there (Y'94).

17. Jferg4350

Jferg4350 Well-Known Member

I'm not made of airports get out! [​IMG]

but i would go with what everyone else is pretty much saying

blue blazer, tan chinos/khakis, brown shoes, button down shirt

not sure if i would go with a tie or not, your choice

18. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

On second thought, I agree with LabelKing. Go as overboard as possible. Wear a Run DMC esque clock necklace

19. blackplatano

blackplatano Well-Known Member

On second thought, I agree with LabelKing. Go as overboard as possible. Wear a Run DMC esque clock necklace

If you are going to say something stupid at least get it right. Is Flavor flave that has the clock necklace.

20. dopamine

dopamine Well-Known Member

That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt. The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.
    Definitely true. I went to a large college admissions event in my town, dead set on going to Harvard, but met the Dean of Admissions at the University of Pennsylvania after the event. 45 minutes, a business card, and a promise of admission later, I was impressed enough to do more research and eventually apply ED to the Wharton School's undergraduate business program. I would say not to try too hard - please don't wear a red rep tie.. You want to look slick but not like you just came out of a Glee Club event or jumped out of a Brooks Brother's catalogue. Navy Blazer, Khakis, no tie, v-neck sweater (possibly argyle) underneath. Preppy, but not boarding school-like. Alternatively, you could ditch the blazer completely. Regardless, just make sure to bring a folder containing copies of your resume and actively seek out the admissions office for some face time with admissions officials.