1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. attesom

attesom New Member

@mmafia1 and @musehead , thanks for your replies; something I did not express clearly in my first post: the BL is on BOTH lenses, and even if that horizontal writing is strange I have already read on the internet about that kind of etching (and also of etching on the center top of both lenses, or some batch with no etching at all).
    What I needed was some help to know the age, the originality, and the value, and the strange writing orientation could be of help for this; of course they could be fake, but I think that the horizontal etching is not a good basis for saying this.

@mmafia1 yes there's also a GF written on, I have made a better pic of that and of the etchings, sorry about the previous ones

right lens
    [​IMG]

left lens (sorry it's a little blurred)
    [​IMG]

the GF marking
    [​IMG]

2. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

I love the look of ray bans but I have quite a large head and find that they aren't actually big enough to proportionally fit my face.

Any ideas some vintage ray bans that are larger than usual?

3. mmafia1

mmafia1 Well-Known Member

I see what you mean about the etching should be on both lenses, I agree with that, didn't notice its only on one here, but the orientation is correct for some 1970's models. On some the etching was flipped side ways and yeah as you said sometimes to the top of the lens. I have a pair of leather outdoorsman changables from the 70's here I can show you the etching. Or just check out my video :).

4. mmafia1

Ah there you go, I wasn't sure if it was on both lenses, couldn't see the other side. They are definitely as they should be. 1970's pair. And gold fill so thicker gold plating. I'm from the UK so prices are slightly different here. Does it come with the case?

5. attesom

attesom New Member

@mmafia1 I got these with some other object, and while the pair of glasses was one, the cases (classic Ray-Ban flat case) were two: one in the classic light brown plastic, the second in a sort of dark brown leather (don't know if real leather or not), so I don't know which of the two can be the correct for this model. I don't have them here now, if you need pics I can provide them in the evening.

6. mmafia1

Pics of them would be good. Are they both Bausch and Lomb? It can be a little hard to say the exact case it should be unless they are a specific series; leather, driving, ambermatics etc.

7. musehead

musehead Active Member

@attesom Sorry I was mistaken, thank you for clarifying mmafia1 they are indeed authentic, the sideways B&L is rare. They are either from the late 60's or 70's, I'd value them at 200-250 dollars maybe 300. The case I've always seen these particular pair is in a light brown bausch and lomb case they don't have a particular name on the case unless they're ambermatic Double gradient mirrored so any bausch and lomb case would do for them.

@duxnuts try the 62mm Ray Bans. They are considerably bigger than the standard 58mm.

8. attesom

attesom New Member

These below are the cases I was given:

[​IMG]

both of the cases are signed Bausch and Lomb.

@mmafia1 and @musehead , I'd like to thank you for the kind informations. Having some sign of use and age I think I will stand on the lower side of the price range suggested. In case anyone is interested just let me know.

ciao

9. mmafia1

Like musehead said, either case will do, though I would pop them in the dark brown one. Less common and I think a bit nicer :). I think they would get around £150 over here.

10. FoldingW

FoldingW New Member

Hi,

I found a pair of B&L Ray Ban Folding Wayfarer at my parent’s house, looks like they are from the 90s some time.

They are exactly the same as the Ray Ban showed in the video link and the other link attached under, with the “B&L RAY-BAN FRAME FRANCE”. The only difference is that the lenses are red and the lenses are missing the BL etching

The model number on the frame is WO670 NVBK

http://www.solakzade-en.com/product/2034

Do you think this are real Ray Ban ?

Thanks!

11. musehead

musehead Active Member

If you could post some pictures that'd be great. I can't authenticate sunglasses with just a description. Those links you posted have real authentic B&L Ray Bans I need to see your lens in order to determine if they're the real deal or not. Lens are interchangeable someone could get any real b&l frame and stick some generic lens on them.

12. Ryan44

Ryan44 New Member

Hi, can anyone help? I have a pair of Ray Bans I've never seen anywhere else. I believe they're from the 70s or 80s. All they say on the inside is "B&L Ray-Ban" and a tiny "OWAS" on one of the temples.
    [​IMG]

13. musehead

musehead Active Member

@ryan44 They look like Ray Ban Wayfarers. Post more pics to get a more thorough look of them

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  14. tomr7574

tomr7574 Member

LOL half of these reaponses of an" expert" need to be corrected, and i wish i had more time to reapond to each question: too much false information is being given on ray ban bausch and lomb usa...smh...mediocre advice and price quotes and "knowledge" being shared by this thread starter is too hilarious!

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I'd still like a response on this, he hasn't helped me at all

16. tomr7574

tomr7574 Member

Saturdays: No, tortoise shell was/is never used. It is called "tortoise" "tortuga" for the pattern, similar to a tortoise shell, made out of acetate/plastic frames. You can find them on ebay or amazon, just use those keywords. It is a beautiful look ;)

17. Ryan44

Ryan44 New Member

here they are head on. My guess was they are some kind of wayfarers, however notice the different lens shape. It's unlike any I can find. [​IMG]

18. mmafia1

Sorry missed your comment. Thanks for that, appreciate it. Glad they are of some help.

19. musehead

musehead Active Member

@ryan44 [​IMG]

These are Wayfarer 5024 L2053 OWAS they look almost identical to your sunglasses except the studs are on the side of yours and none in the front, that's throwing me off.

20. musehead

musehead Active Member