• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ownygaard

Reaction score
Hi,
Hope you can help.
Lost one of the glasses in my vintage Ray-Bans. Would like to buy two new glasses but can`t find out wich model this is. They are aprox 18-20 years old.
Regards
Willy

Last edited:

ofiry1968

Reaction score
Dear expert,

I got Ray-Ban sunglasses purchased in the 80's, and I want to make sure they are authentic.

These are the marks I could find:

1. The famous white "Ray-Ban" logo on the right lens.
2. "B&L Ray-Ban U.S.A" engraving on the external side of the bridge.
3. "B&L Ray-Ban 62[]14 " engraving on the internal side of the bridge.
4. "BL" Laser engraving both on the left and on the right lens (near the arm hinge).
5. "BL" engraving on the metal that holds the nose pads.

Based on that, can you tell whether they are authentic or not?
I'm especially concerned with the fat that the "BL" laser engraving appears on both of the lens (which, as far as I know, ususlly appears on the left lens only).

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Ofir

musehead

Reaction score
@nergock yes some vintage Ray Bans were made in W germany those aviators agentorange posted pics of look authentic.

@Kbrenna1 pm me some pictures please

@ownygaard those look like the lennon vintage ray bans but with a top bar accross the top. Search ebay with vintage ray ban lennon in the description and you'll find a bunch of them.

@ofiry1968 Yes they sound authentic, on Vintage Ray Ban aviators B&L was laser etched on both lens . Modern made in Italy Ray Bans have RB laser etched on one lens

Last edited:

tomr7574

Reaction score
West Germany models were made of real gold: either 10k or 12k mixed with other metals. If you encounter anything that has this on the paddle, providing they are authentic real vintage ray ban usa, youre in for a rarity

tomr7574

Reaction score
also: authentic current ray bans are manufactured in China: they have nothing to do with vintage bausch and lomb USA...but if you want to buy sunplastics, go ahead and pick up a pair of those: you are better off buying some shades at the local grocery store if you take that route:

Bausch And Lomb Ray Ban USA is still light years ahead of all the current "sunglass" companies: the technology they came out with for example, in 1987 (ambermatic double sided mirrored anniversary RB-50 lenses) is superior to what competitors and current ray ban has to offer: Think of it as The Beatles Revolver LP being released back in 1966: They set the bar so high, and still no one can reach it. That is why counterfeiting Asians still try to replicate these to the T

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Luxottica Ray Ban are not all polycarbonate lenses. I have a few pair and they all are glass. I have broken lenses on a couple of pairs and they were most certainly glass.
I would not have purchased if they were polycarbs. Polycarbonate lenses, even multiple hundreds of dollars reputable ones, scratch in less than a week of my use.

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Hello musehead

I have a pair that my grandmother bought me in 1991. I never actually wore them as I didn't like them much as they have dark green glass but as a kid I wanted the cool mirrored ones that she bought my brother :embar: I've taken them out to see sunlight for the first time in about 20 years.

It is complete with sticker, case and even papers! (All pristine like new in fact). Could you please tell me what model it is as I honestly do not know? I can't see any inscriptions on it but both lenses have BL etched on them.

(I assume it is genuine)

Thanks in advance :)

(Apologies for the specks of dust)

Last edited:

tomr7574

Reaction score
yes: not all are "polycarbonate" lenses...but the glass they are using is cheap...easily breakable.

tomr7574

Reaction score
chuckie those are regular G 15 green glass aviators. very common. simple. its a basic model ray ban luxottica replicates/designs today. just sayin

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. All these years and I never knew so it's good to know.
shog[1].gif
Oh well, back inside the drawer they go!

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Quote:
Whoops... correction - i just had a closer look and there is actually engraved inscriptions on the bar, top and bottom.

B&L RAY-BAN U.S.A
B&L RAY-BAN 58 [] 14

Never noticed before!
shog[1].gif
In my defense, very difficult to see unless looking for it.

musehead

Reaction score
@chuckie egg yup those are g-15's in a black aviator frame. You can sell them on ebay for about 200-250 since they're basically new. They came in a 58mm or 62mm frame. 58's are the more desirable ones (that's what you have), 62's are a bit big imo.

musehead

Reaction score
@saturdays I'm 99% sure they never made them from real tortoise shells.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads