1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

2. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

Also, as you can see in the pictures I just shared, etched on the top of my common Ray Bans you'll see B&L RAY BANS USA and on the underside you'll see B&L 1/10 12 GF much as described in the description for deep freeze, and though there is no rubber coating present on my pair the shape of the arms do not coincide with your theories of the Outdoorsman Ray-Bans. I did not make my theory blindly. I went through every picture and description and narrowed it down to what I did based on what I saw and read. Based on what I have shared since my original question, what do you think?

3. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

Those second ones look identical to the ones i posted and questioned if they were Deep Freeze aka "the holy grail" and you dismissed them as "common". Why so interested and this pair that looks exactly like mine and has the same details? Also, don't the arms on Outdoorsman curve like as the letter c in order to stay on? That's the trademark of the Outdoorsman isn't it? You said that's what mine was...can't find anything called large metal. When were those made and are they in the Outdoorsman collection or something?

4. oosterling

oosterling Well-Known Member

a pair exist of a few separate things, Frame, lenses, temples and case. The frame has again nose pads and temples have ear pieces if they are not curled temples.
    Your pair have the same frame as early deep freeze models as deep freeze models had standard frames in that time, later deep freeze models had different frames., but besides that, they are totally different. Temples are not alike, lenses neither and they dont have a deep freeze case.
    In other words: yours are definitely not deep freeze, any reference to deep freeze is misplaced

good luck selling

5. oosterling

all aviators were 1/10 12ct GF back then....large metals outdoorsman, caravans...it was the standard

6. oosterling

as i expected: the temples have been replaces. they are not B&L Ray Ban. The shape of the plastic eurpieces isnt correct, also the temple itself, in multiple aspects (for instance, they should end in a point)

7. oosterling

the aviator line have multiple models,
    outdoorsman like yours (standard nose bridge and a pearlish plastic brow bar)
    large metal, as above but without brow bar
    shooter, as the ODM but instead of a standard nose bridge there is a round shape, that makes them less wide compared to the ODM.

the curled temples are not a trademark for any of these models.

not taking the very first ray ban in account (they were shaped differently) the first model produces was the large metal. soon followed by the ODM. and few years later followed by the shooter.

8. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

Did you sell either of these? I have a pair that looks just like the ones with the plastic general bar, even also has a tiny chip in the right lens and has the same markings, and have been trying to find another pair that has all the same specifics. They look super similar to the outdoorsman as they were suggested to be, but the markings don't coincide with what I've researched. Have you had any luck or learned anything new?

9. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

I've been finding that similar frame or not, that what is impressed on the top and underside of the bridge is different from model to model. You mentioned mine looking like the G15 but the underside of those should say B&L RAY BAN 62 14 which doesn't jive with either of these frames. In fact,after reviewing every model of vintage Ray Bans aviators i can find, my frames don't jive with any of the "common" styles at all. Maybe the arms on mine aren't the originals? But the frames themselves much like this other guys are not common. Maybe I've missed a model out there? Gonna relist them regardless as i didn't know i couldn't go back and make corrections and there are already bids. Honestly, i got them by pure chance and don't care what they sell for, but i definitely don't ever like misleading anyone. I was pretty honest about that throughout the listing.

10. mmafia1

mmafia1 Well-Known Member

They're a pair of 60/70s outdoorsman with g15 lenses. Nothing uncommon about them really. Sorry, but b&l have lots and lots of models and often there is something that seems a little different to the norm but in all honesty yours are pretty common.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  11. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

Are they totally different than the ones in the other guys picture?

12. mmafia1

Which picture? Outdoorsman have been around for years, as oosterling mentioned. The sign of an outdoorsman in the brow bar. As yours are gf it just means they are a slightly earlier model, if the lenses arent etched then a little earlier still. But again, not uncommon.

Deep freeze have gradient lenses, either g15 double gradient or kalichrome. And then rubber guards on the arms or cheek guards. Very very distinctive.

Sorry but I've seen your eBay ad and although no, not being deceptive, your glasses really aren't worth a of. They are damaged and don't have original arms.

13. trendforgetter

trendforgetter Member

I changed the listing all together and am very honest. I was referring to the BigJay dude that had two pairs he asked about, one of which was identical in picture and description except the differing ear...you were interested in buying him. Just because you said that mine are so uncommon but we're interested in buying his, I was just curious as to what and makes his more interesting. Only asking as a vintage fashion curator and seller who is excited to expand my knowledge about things.

14. mmafia1

That wasnt me, was oosterling. But I'm assuming it's because theirs are all original and undamaged.
    It's fine to be unsure but your advert in eBay says a lot of maybe this and maybe that which simply isn't true. I'm only saying as I know how shit eBay is for sellers. Buyers will pick at anything that they don't like and eBay will always side with them.

It's 100% yours are just a simple outdoorsman, that has some flaws and replacement parts. That's it.

15. oosterling

"You mentioned mine looking like the G15 but the underside of those should say B&L RAY BAN 62 14"

Why should they?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  16. krp2nte

krp2nte New Member

Hi there.
    I recently purchased an old pair of Ray Ban Aviators in the original case that have unique lenses. 80% or so of the lenses are tinted but there is a section at the bottom of both without tinting so the pilot could easily read the instrument panel (so the old man said). I have been looking and can find nothing about this style. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What do you call this kind?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. doggerel

doggerel Well-Known Member

Tinted at the top not at the bottom, it is called top gradient or simply gradient.
    If it has a mirror finish it is called top gradient mirrored.
    By the way, the lenses appear to be quick thick? Are they prescribed?

18. krp2nte

krp2nte New Member

Thanks for the info. I was looking for value but could not find the right words to do the search. This may help. Regardless, I appreciate it. As for them being prescription, they are not. Thin (normal) lenses with no script. If you have other info or ideas on value, please say. I'm clueless on this. :)

19. Nick123454321

Nick123454321 New Member

Hello, I recently purchased a pair of vintage ray bans in California and I was hoping to get a little more information on them. I can't seem to find the exact style anywhere online. Everything seems to check out in terms of if they are real or not (glass lenses, B&L etched into both lenses, B&L stamped on the nose pads, "B&L Ray Ban USA" on the inside arm). The metal on the outside of the frames is pretty ornate and I have yet to find a pair with the same type of metal work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!

20. Nick123454321

Nick123454321 New Member

Upon further research I have found that the style code for these is W1698. I still have not been able to find much other information on them. Does anybody know the date range that these were manufactured? They also have some patina on the front of the frames. Is it okay to remove that and what would be the best way? I was thinking I would take them into a jewelry shop to see if they can do anything for them.