• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Gent learns to play the piano

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by my daughter, who's been tearing up the keyboard for the past three years (in fact, she and her duet partner just won the state competition), I've started, at the ripe old age of 42, to take up the piano. In my middle dotage, the learning isn't as smooth as it was when I took guitar lessons, but I'm giving it a go.

After a couple of early, getting-to-know the piano kind of pieces, I'm working on Bach's Prelude in C. Except for a few rough spots in measures 19-24, I've pretty much got it down.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
VG - congratulations to your daughter!

Man, I have wanted to learn the piano since hearing Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto years and years ago, but never quite got going. I respect your efforts and wish you good luck with it.

Tangentially, I'm picking up the guitar in earnest now, after dicking around with one in high school and learning nothing of consequence. Partly this is to keep the little one moving forward in his own lessons, though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Recital next month. Starting work on the second piece in Schoenberg's Sechs Kleine Klavierstucke.
Are you playing the Bach for your recital, or the Schoenberg, or something else?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will there be YouTube?

I've always wanted to return to it, myself

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your daughter winning State!!!
Congrats on you learning the piano...thats very very cool !
smile.gif

Regards.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Inspired by my daughter, who's been tearing up the keyboard for the past three years (in fact, she and her duet partner just won the state competition), I've started, at the ripe old age of 42, to take up the piano. In my middle dotage, the learning isn't as smooth as it was when I took guitar lessons, but I'm giving it a go.

After a couple of early, getting-to-know the piano kind of pieces, I'm working on Bach's Prelude in C. Except for a few rough spots in measures 19-24, I've pretty much got it down.

I'm looking to start learning as well, and I'm curious exactly what your teacher has your doing, how long your lessons are, what you're paying, etc. Thanks for the info!

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to learn the piano. I thought it would be great to break out at random times, but like a piano bar type of thing - not classical stuff.

I havent a lick of musical knowledge... is it easy to pick up? Do I need lessons? Will a keyboard work just as well?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the good words.

Originally Posted by barims
Will there be YouTube?

Probably, but if I mess up royal, I won't share the link.

Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
I'm looking to start learning as well, and I'm curious exactly what your teacher has your doing, how long your lessons are, what you're paying, etc. Thanks for the info!

The lessons are 30 minutes a pop. My instructor has me doing several things: started with some easy pieces to get the fingers used to moving across the keyboard, worked on scales (D and E, in particular), and then moved on to the Bach Prelude. I'm fortunate in that I can read music, at least in a rudimentary way, so that helped accelerate things.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recital is confirmed for the 14th. I will be playing both the Bach and the Schoenberg.

At yesterday's lesson, I started work on Petzold's Minuet in G and Philip Glass's Metamorphosis 2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads