1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vintage 1930s peak lapel chesterfield topcoat

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by Vintage Gent, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

Some time ago, I happened upon this treasure in one of the local thrifts--truly one of the gems of a decade of thrifting. Rarely does a day go by that I don't lament not being able to wear this coat. But the simple reality is that I'm not ever going to fit into it, so I offer it here with the hope that it'll find a good home.

Quick description: dark charcoal chesterfield top coat from the 1930s; flap pockets; chest pocket; peak lapel; velvet collar; center vent; fully lined in black bemberg; 3-button front; nipped waist; near mint condition; very heavy fabric (20oz+).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My best guess is that it's a size 36, so good news for the more slender among us. A few measurements:

19" across the shoulders
    23 5/8" sleeves
    41" chest
    42" long

Cost? Nothing. I'll even spring for the postage. It's but a small gift to a forum that has given me so much. However, if you were so generous as to offer in return perhaps a nice pocket square, a Carlo Franco tie or one of the new Mulberrywood grenadines, I certainly wouldn't say no. [​IMG]

Just a few conditions:

(1) You must agree that the coat is for your use only and that you won't attempt to resell it.

(2) You must live in the United States or Canada.

(3) So heavy is the coat that I'd prefer it go to someone generally north of the Mason-Dixon line--someone who'd get some use out of it. But I know there are some southern precincts where the winters can be particularly brutal, so this requirement isn't firm.

(4) PM me to let me know of your interest.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

That is simply stunning. So stunning, in fact, that while I'd love to take you up on the offer, and take the coat off your hands, I think it should go to someone who will wear it more often. It belongs over a suit, and I rarely wear them.

3. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Member

4. j

j Well-Known Member

OMG! Guess that's what I get for leaving my desk occasionally. It's probably too small for me anyway...

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

Cost? Nothing. I'll even spring for the postage. It's but a small gift to a forum that has given me so much.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

6. Vintage Gent

Our own DocHolliday was quick on the draw. Congrats, Doc. Wear it in good health.

7. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

A grand gesture, VG, and a beautiful coat.

8. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

That was really classy! I've put on some weight the last few years. I'm going to look for some really nice stuff that I might never wear and do the same. Well on second thought, I might not pay the shipping. I'll see what I have!

Again, a great gesture!

9. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

10. Vintage Gent

Gentlemen, thanks to each and every one of you for the kind words surrounding my small gesture. I've thought for a while what a great idea it would be to have something akin to a Style Forum clothing exchange. For what it's worth I'll continue to do my part, offering up the occasional item gratis.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, thanks to each and every one of you for the kind words surrounding my small gesture. I've thought for a while what a great idea it would be to have something akin to a Style Forum clothing exchange. For what it's worth I'll continue to do my part, offering up the occasional item gratis.

Well, I think it's a very generous gesture indeed and I applaud you for it. Unfortunately my wardrobe cannot compare plus I'm a bit too mean to part with anything so nice [​IMG]

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

As the recipient of said topcoat, let me add my thanks to the thread. It's really quite the outstanding item to give away, VG. Remarkably nice of you.

13. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I think VG deserves some sort of custom title for that.