1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vietnamese shirtmaking....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Matt, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Matt,
    which pattern did the tailor use for your shirts? Did you give him shirts to copy or did he measure you? If he measured you, we should just have someone else take the measurements that he has taken and then he can make the pattern himself.

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

he just measured me. i doubt he even made a pattern, VNese tailors rarely do, they just measure u and draw it on the cloth.

In Vietnam cutting corners is an artform.

As for all the pleating options etc - forget it. Way too hard to translate to him - if you want that stuff, send me a shirt and Ill tell him to copy it, but on paper, cant do it.

3. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

if we are nearly happy with how the first shirt turns out, could we expect to have minor alterations to the pattern before we order a run of 10?

how do you plan to handle the potential administrative nightmare you are about to undertake? this would take a fairly organized person to execute effectively. keeping everyone's measurements and requests and payments in order would take some prior planning. should you perhaps considering charging an additional couple bucks to hire some part time help?

and for this amount of money, i would try it, but only if i could do it without shipping a shirt (im not happy enough with any of mine to consider one a perfect template). i could take numerous measurements from a shirt that is close to perfect, and then send those numbers along with some thoughts on where the shirt fails to fit in hopes of getting something better.

good luck

4. j

j Well-Known Member

I think it would be much better if you took your shirt to a tailor here and had it altered to fit correctly, and then sent it. Measurements are not going to translate.

M@t, I'm interested in this venture. It's something I had thought of doing a few years back when my uncle went to Vietnam and told me about the cheap tailoring there. You say you have someone there who is going to be running this deal, maybe you should have her(?) sign up on the forum and discuss it?

5. color_reporter

color_reporter Active Member

I'd be interested too if there are fabrics I like.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Can anyone find out what the shipping would cost? Both ways?

Great idea, and very generous of you M@t.

7. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

(briancl @ July 05 2005,18:35) and for this amount of money, i would try it, but only if i could do it without shipping a shirt (im not happy enough with any of mine to consider one a perfect template). i could take numerous measurements from a shirt that is close to perfect, and then send those numbers along with some thoughts on where the shirt fails to fit in hopes of getting something better. good luck
    I think it would be much better if you took your shirt to a tailor here and had it altered to fit correctly, and then sent it. Measurements are not going to translate.
    this got me thinking.. and what i should do is get a shirt made locally from a reputable custom shirt maker.. so i know it will be perfect, and use that as my template for my custom shirt adventures. i have such a terrible time with fitment of shirts that its worth the money.

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

9. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Bump.
    *shudder* there is another AAAC/SFer about to have a Dung-made suit, will leave it to him to post his mail-order results

10. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a wonderful thing you are doing, both for us and for them. I am definitely in and the terms and conditions are fine by me.

11. Beckwith

Beckwith Well-Known Member

I can see an epsiode of ER, with Clooney rubbing the paddles and yelling clear as he tries to pump some life into this thread......charging 300.... I would be interested......clear

12. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

*shudder*

there is another AAAC/SFer about to have a Dung-made suit, will leave it to him to post his mail-order results

That is me. I am awaiting the fabrics as we speak. I have a five point plan of attack (sending them a suit, pics of me in the suit, measurement template from the Baron website, pics of other suits whose details I'd like to copy and throwing Matt's name around liberally.) I'm considering the first suit as more of a sample and then I'll send in for a second suit with corrections from the first. Given the cost, I figure I can have two or three suits made simply for the purpose of "fittings" and I'll still come out on top.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

matt,

are you still up for this?

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

That is me. I am awaiting the fabrics as we speak. I have a five point plan of attack (sending them a suit, pics of me in the suit, measurement template from the Baron website, pics of other suits whose details I'd like to copy and throwing Matt's name around liberally.) I'm considering the first suit as more of a sample and then I'll send in for a second suit with corrections from the first. Given the cost, I figure I can have two or three suits made simply for the purpose of "fittings" and I'll still come out on top.

Why not just send them a suit to copy?

15. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Why not just send them a suit to copy?

uhhhh

That is me. I am awaiting the fabrics as we speak. I have a five point plan of attack (sending them a suit, pics of me in the suit, measurement template from the Baron website, pics of other suits whose details I'd like to copy and throwing Matt's name around liberally.)

matt,

are you still up for this?

not at the moment Zach, drowning in work and laid up post operation (currently running the company via IM from a mattress in my loungeroom).

See how Ed goes with Dung mail order, they do damn nice shirts at $17, so that may be a great way to go if their service is up to it....

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

17. phaedrus

phaedrus Well-Known Member

Thought I might as well use this thread as the other thread I posted in before my trip to Saigon no longer exists. Went to Saigon in Feb and had a number of shirts made, and two suits.

The suits were 2 button, single breasted in a navy and grey, super 120 and 150 wools respectively. Working button holes, 2 pairs of trousers per suit in a flat front, slimmer cut. I had two visits to the tailor, first for initial measure and selection of fabric (+ description of the style of suit I wanted). Second visit was about 5 days later, checked out the progress and had a fitting. At this stage, pants were not even started, was assured this was a very quick job so left until last.
    The third visit to the tailor was 2 days later, usually it would be the last and final, however, had issues with the fit of the jacket (was a bit large around the waist) so it was agreed this would be altered. Alterations made and tailor's wife delivered both suits to my hotel 2 days later.

I can't remember the exact cost, but it would have been around $AUD400ish including fabric, for both suits with two trousers.

I have a few pics of the suits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pic of the selction of fabrics for the shirts:

[​IMG]

Also had a number of shirts made, will post pics when I can.

18. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

you said youd call, you promised youd call *sob*

who made them for you?

19. phaedrus

phaedrus Well-Known Member

sorry matt about the catchup, but even when I eventually logged on to the internet, the forum was down so couldn't get your details from the PM. Anywa was pretty hectic first few days and there was lots to do in so little time.

Tailor was Tailor Vinh, he was located outside of the city, the name of the place escapes me at the moment.

20. Etienne

Etienne Well-Known Member

Thought I might as well use this thread as the other thread I posted in before my trip to Saigon no longer exists. Went to Saigon in Feb and had a number of shirts made, and two suits.
    All this in three days? Okay, since my trip to Hanoï is now almost certain, I am beginning to get severely tempted, since I will have between 3 and 5 days there.