1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vietnamese Cuisine.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 24, 2008.

1. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Speaking of pho/Vietnamese, where can I get tasty pho etc. in NYC? Not interested in gourmet, interested in authentic.

If you don't mind venturing out to Flushing, Phobang is pretty good.

Edit: apparently they also have a location in Little Italy.

2. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

If you don't mind venturing out to Flushing, Phobang is pretty good.

Edit: apparently they also have a location in Little Italy.

Thanks for the tip. Two of my favorite things in one restaurant.

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Two of my favorite things in one restaurant.

The bang and the pho - you like it?

4. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

If you don't mind venturing out to Flushing, Phobang is pretty good. Edit: apparently they also have a location in Little Italy.
    Pho Bang (if by Flushing you mean Elmhurst) is pretty bland (not just Pho, but everything they serve). There's no good Pho in Queens. The only decent Pho place is Thai Son, but their food is generally too greasy.

5. playdohh22

playdohh22 Well-Known Member

I noticed that many of them are run by Chinese people, rather the Vietnamese themselves.

6. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Pho Bang (if by Flushing you mean Elmhurst) is pretty bland (not just Pho, but everything they serve). There's no good Pho in Queens. The only decent Pho place is Thai Son, but their food is generally too greasy.

I don't necessarily disagree. The friend who introduced Pho Bang to me said it makes the 2nd best pho in NYC, I didn't inquire further. Haven't tried TS yet, may be I should next time I get to the city.

re: blandness, see what I wrote earlier on the different food styles. [​IMG]

7. Mauby

Mauby Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread, I just had pho for lunch. It was Laotion though...slightly different but very tasty.

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I love Pho.

Extra large bowel with extra sides of sliced raw beef and other beef products. Throw in the bean sprouts and all that basil leaves and squirt in those lime wedges. Yum!

I mix the Hoisin sauce with the Sriracha to dip the beef. [​IMG]

9. iron_ball

iron_ball Well-Known Member

I get the pho at Thai Son two or three times a week; that or the nasi lemak at Jaya across the street. And the hostess at Thai Son is as cute as they come, too.

10. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

I like pho once in a while but all the places I've been tend to put msg in the soup so I get really thirsty after eating it.

11. why

why Well-Known Member

I like it, but it's not my favorite overall. The French still make a better broth and baguette, but I like the added spiciness.

Durian kicks ass though.

12. tbone226

tbone226 Well-Known Member

Speaking of pho/Vietnamese, where can I get tasty pho etc. in NYC? Not interested in gourmet, interested in authentic.

Saigon Grill. Theres one on 90th and Amsterdam and another at University Place and 11th.

13. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I noticed that many of them are run by Chinese people, rather the Vietnamese themselves.

Yeah, many of the Vietnamese restaurants in the NYC area are run by Chinese-Vietnamese. The flavors are very close, but just don't seem quite there. Since I'm new to the area, I'm still on the quest to find the perfect Pho and Banh Mi.

14. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

I'm just getting aquiantied with, it is neck and neck with Thai as my favorite Asian food.

15. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Extra large bowel with extra sides of sliced raw beef and other beef products. Throw in the bean sprouts and all that basil leaves and squirt in those lime wedges. Yum! [​IMG]
    Sounds like another fetish that only Edmorel can explain.

16. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Well-Known Member

never found any good vietnamese food places in nyc, adequate but not good. they have a few good banh mi spots tho.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

If I recall, The Slanted Door is a kind of fusion restaurant.

There are a lot of Vietnamese dive-y places in the Bay Area. However, they don't seem to be located in San Francisco; rather, many of them are in the Silicon Valley area.

That Tully place is a good example although there are differences in quality in the restaurants.

18. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

There's excellent Vietnamese food in Oakland's Chinatown.

I agree with the others that say Slanted Door is not real Vietnamese.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Slanted Door is fusion, but the chef/owner is Vietnamese and Vietnamese food is the foundation, as it were. It's a concept restaurant, and Phan is something of a celebrity chef, and celebrity chefs these days scoff at doing traditional cuisine from any country. They have to add their own twist.

As mentioned earlier, the Tenderloin has a lot of Vietnamese dives. There are also some in the Mission, which is where Slanted Door started.

And, did I mention, it's really goooooooooood.

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I agree the Slanted Door is great. It had kind of a down period right when it opened in the new location, but now it is as good as ever.