1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vibram 5 fingers

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by CTGuy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. adversity04

adversity04 Well-Known Member

I run barefoot on the field before every track workout and have done so before VFFs existed. I run barefoot on the sidewalks from time to time but I need to manage my shin splints.

I don't fan my toes when I run. I don't see why it makes sense to -- the toes all largely work in unison except for the largest toe which contributes to the final push and is controlled more independently.

I find it especially odd to have toe separations considering most of the mainstream popularization of barefoot running was done by people using sandals.

They can be used for more than just running. Separating the toes helps with balance.

2. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Well-Known Member

That reminds me, I thought that there were shoes that were made for runners for only one race and VERY thin?

Similar to the 5 fingers but without the separated toes.

They're called racing flats, and yes they wear out easily.

I think people running barefoot don't understand the fucking point of running barefoot. It's a modality, not a religion. Separated toes just seems completely pointless outside of marketing them as 'Five Fingers'.

Separated toes make all the difference IMO between wearing shoes and walking around barefoot. If you ever have a swollen foot for any reason (I have 5 sprained ankles between running shoes, basketball shoes and casual shoes) watch as you place it on the ground. You will have a bulbous foot, but upon contact with the ground the weight of the body fans the toes. It's not a conscious thing.

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

I've been in Panama for the past week and have worn these almost every single day. If you're planning a trip to Central America in August - or any other place that mixes insane sunshine with furious rain storms, then these are the perfect shoes. I wore them walking, boating, fishing, etc. They actually make fantastic boat shoes and really grip the deck well. And one quick wash in the machine took all the stank out. Very convenient.

And luckily, most people in the countryside are wearing hideous imitation crocs. So wearing a techno foot-glove like the Five Fingers doesn't attract any undue attention. Muy bueno.

4. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

^ Yup, those vibrams are excellent for travelling. I wore them in NZ alot.

5. hard_times

hard_times Member

Anyone with bunions ever try these out? Do they help?

6. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

7. Rookje

Rookje Well-Known Member

I was gonna look into these until I roomed with a friend who had them, and he took them off and... well, the smell was unbelievable. Not sure how you deal with that?

8. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Well-Known Member

I was gonna look into these until I roomed with a friend who had them, and he took them off and... well, the smell was unbelievable. Not sure how you deal with that?

I just wash them every week, or if they get really bad but thats usually only if i leave them in my gym bag by accident

9. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

You can wash them. I've worn mine on small boats quite a few time, and as bad as foot sweat smells, nothing is worse than seawater and mud after a few hot days. A machine wash takes almost all of the stank out.

10. mtechnic

mtechnic Well-Known Member

Good article on getting away from the heal strike method of running.

11. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

FYI I received my VFF Mocs and will be using them at the gym for the first time in about one hour. Good riddance Nike Frees.

12. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I enjoy wearing my Vibram 5 fingers when riding my fixed gear bike, taking frequent breaks to quench my thirst with fair trade certified acai juice.

13. Korben

Korben Well-Known Member

Love these things for trail running and any water sport.

14. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

I enjoy wearing my Vibram 5 fingers when riding my fixed gear bike, taking frequent breaks to quench my thirst with fair trade certified acai juice.

Don't you dare group me in with those jackass hipsters. This is purely something I do for me.

15. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Seriously thinking about getting a pair... Which model would you recommend for like pavement running?

16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

the kso? keep stuff out? model. the rest of the models are kinda annoying when gravel gets in is what I hear.

one thing to take notice of is that most people will stare at your shoes and a few ppl especially when working out will straight up ask you about them

17. Morinav

Morinav Active Member

I've had a pair of KSO's for about a year and really like them. Mostly I use them for running, which they work very well for.

I would recommend finding a place locally to try them on, if at all possible. The ideal fit is pretty snug, like gloves for your feet.

Also, I'd recommend taking it slow when you first get them unless you have completely ridiculous leg muscles. First week, I wore them almost exclusively for walking and light jogging only a few hours per day. Second week I moved on to jogging and light running. By the third week I was good. Not only do your muscles have to adjust, but it's easy to forget to not heel strike when you first get the shoes. If you're not careful, you can end up with some nasty heel bruises.

18. PolePosition

PolePosition Well-Known Member

I use the KSO's for pavement running. My friend uses the Bikila for pavement running. Can't go wrong with either one. Be sure to try them on or find a reseller that has a good return/exchange policy. Most people dont use socks, but I use the Injinji socks when I run with my KSO's. Feels more comfortable for me that way but try it out and you can decide.

19. jpb

jpb Well-Known Member

I ride my fixed gear bike wearing 5 fingers.

I like the Bikila best. I wish they would come out with a warmer/waterproof model for those of us in colder climes.

20. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Vibrams and have 2 pairs of the ksos and 1 pair of the treks. Looking to acquire the bikilas in the future. I wear them as my work shoes because I have no sense of style and want to project a terrible and weird image, but also because I bike to work and go to the gym in them and am too lazy to carry around spare shoes to change into. Also I like to keep my feet used to them and my work is filled with weirdos so no one really cares (One of our founder wears them). My three issues with them are: 1. They feel gross once you get some water into them. 2. I sweat easily and frequently and this goes for my feet too. 3. The smell. I've dealt with these issues by: 1. Avoiding puddles. 2. Buying injinji liner socks (Yes also toed). 3. http://www.simplegreen.com/products_pro_3.php for #3. This was mentioned in a blog's comments by someone and I gave it a whirl. Totally works. This is a fungicide which will even kill HIV it says so on the bottle! (Yeah I know HIV can't really survive for long outside of a host so it's mostly just marketing probably). I soak my vibrams in this 1-2x a month and then run them through the washer and odor is completely annihilated. I found that washing them even once a week previous wasnt really dealing with the especially tenacious post puddle odor infections.