1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

Gotta embrace that laceless boot feel[​IMG]

Initially, the noticeably lack of control [over snugness] was disconcerting.

Another issue I had was__ constantly tugging the sock legs up cuz and boot shafts keep pulling them down ... just annoying [​IMG]

I guess it's all about mindset__ relinquishing control. Nowadays, I just strap in and not worry about laces ... nor slouchy socks [​IMG] ... kinda liberating, really.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

3. Whirling

Whirling Well-Known Member

These are the socks you're looking for.

Darn Tough Made in Vermont Over-The-Calf Merino Wool "Westerner"

1 person likes this.
  4. docdocgs

docdocgs Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Darn Tough socks are the shit. Way better durability and tenacity than Smartwool. And the lifetime guarantee is hard to argue with.

2 people like this.
  5. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

^ ^^ ^^^
    I got my thicker socks, as well: DarnTough, Smartwool, Chups, Anonymousism ... & yes, I agree__ DT's the best[​IMG]

I've been wearing medium weight socks throughout summer
    [​IMG] much easier slipping in&out during the break in process, cuz the lower shaft entry on my Hoppers were a bit of a tight squeeze due to high instep [​IMG] ... 1st few wears, I had to use plastic bag @heel to slide in [​IMG]

Also, I've had a few CP heels before. Usually, they're about half spent by the time the boots break in ... w/c means closer to re-heel when you're just starting to reap the fruits of your labor. So, I had heel taps put on to extend the CPs life.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Kahuna75

I will give Darn Tough a try...though I can not complain about the smartwools...from sierra trading post an about 8 bucks a pop on sale I bought a bunch of the thick ones in the same color as I hate looking for matching socks. Are the Darn Tough's warm? Sitting at a desk most of the day so keeping my toes warm is a priority...I even have one of the matts on the floor that is heated

7. Deusis

Deusis Well-Known Member

A few photos of the Crust Chromexcel Service Boots off Viberg's website. Full image album available here. Since I work with leather a lot too, I mainly wanted to get these because I have always enjoyed Chromexcel and I wanted to compare it to standard Chromexcel. I spoke to Nick about this when I visited Horween a few weeks ago so it intrigued me. It is very similar to other regular Natural Chromexcel cowhide but it seems to be more of a "matte" finish due to the lack of finishing/dye in the end steps of the tanning process.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Okay guys,

So, I will put this up in a separate GMTO thread for now, but for the time being, I'd like to put up the following leathers for consideration. We can make up to 3 boots this time. The first will be a city boot - a choice between a zip up and a chelsea, on GYW. The next will be a rugged boot. And the third will be a "street" boot. The second two, obviously, are open to interpretation. I initially wanted to do the echo boot this round, but that may take some serious sampling, so assume that that is not happening this round.

Leathers presented for your consideration:

Leathers that can be used for GYW options, from left to right:
    black horse, tan horse, seal brown tumbled horse and burgundy horse

[​IMG]

Roughout side:
    [​IMG]

For the stitchdown models:
    Leathers for the "tough boot" that can be used in the stitchdown construction, from left to right:
    black oil tan, black bullhide, black bison and crust CXL

[​IMG]

Roughout side:
    [​IMG]

9. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this again Fok.

I know I should hop on Millwright makeup but really want side zip [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Black bison or non-brown roughout 3sixteen ripple boot and call it a day.

11. Rogerdoger

Rogerdoger Active Member

Dude, Fok can't and shouldn't make a boot that is close to resembling a boot that Viberg already makes for a stocklist.

I think Fok already stated this as well.

12. LA Guy

I like the stacked leather midsole, but if anyone suggests anything that looks remotely like something the 3Sixteen has already done, I'll have to shut it down.

13. LA Guy

That said, I could seem for a streetboot, a black bison scout boot on either the 110 or 1035 last (for a rounder toe), on a stacked leather midsole with a FULL ripple outsole. that might look super cool.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Could be good. Once you start getting into the bulkier lasts, they almost always start looking no bueno for a "street" look. If you want crazy chunky, you'd just go with Grizzlies or something. Or Junya x Trickers vibe stuff.

@Steel28 if you're planning to wear those with skinnier jeans, you're gonna have a bad time.

1 person likes this.
  15. vettemike

vettemike Well-Known Member

These in burgundy horse....wow

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

As for the difference between natural and crust CXL, this from the Viberg site, that Guy wrote up: (https://viberg.com/blogs/journal/service-boot-crust-chromexcel)

During our last visit to Horween Leather in Chicago we noticed a pile of hides with a unique brown tone we had never seen before. Nick, who was in the midst of giving us a tour of the facilities, explained that it was Chromexcel leather in its crust state. Crust refers to a particular stage in leather processing where the hides have been fully tanned and dried, but not yet dyed or finished. We immediately asked if we could purchase the leather as is and almost a year later we are excited to offer a Service Boot utilizing this unique material. This is Chromexcel leather in it's most natural state, which means it exhibits more character and inconsistencies than a traditional finished hide. It also means that it will age and patina faster and more drastically than just about any other material. Purchase the Service Boot Crust Chromexcel here.

17. LA Guy

Strongly disagree on both points.

"Street look" boots are nearly always chunkier. I mean, the 110 last is very similar in shape to the shape of the 7-hole or the Virgil, and the sole unit we've picked is actually less chunky.

The chelseas look fine with anything that is not SLP tight, and even there, you just get an exaggerated silhouette, which you may or may not like, depending on personal preference.

18. Kahuna75

what about a stacked sole chelsea or side zip......with just leather sole? no ripple at all just the little black dovetail piece at the heel....would require 1 more piece of leather in the sole but might look cool..I assume it is a stupid thought but it just popped into my pea brain

19. vettemike

vettemike Well-Known Member

How will the voting go this round? Will you propose the make-ups and then we vote, or do we have the opportunity to propose make-ups for a vote? I understand that this time you want to streamline the process with fewer options, faster voting period, etc.

20. LA Guy

WE are essentially doing proposals here right now. So far, I have the millwright, I have the short shift, I have some type of all black side zip or chelsea, though no one is really proposing anything solid on those yet. We have an all black scout on a gloxi-sole.

That's what I have seen proposed so far...

Bring them up early and often. That's how you get supporters. Write to your friends. Write to your congressmen. Write about your preferred makeup here, on your FB, on reddit, whatever. And get it done. That's how it always gets done.