1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I am thinking hard about it. I wish they were a plain toe. I have a like 5 captoe boots and no plain ties. But the color looks awesome

I really wanted the Bison boot in the exact makeup but on the 2030. I totally get why it is on the 110 but I am just concerned I would find it too wide in person for me

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

No, you want a brogued captoe on the loden. The plaintoe is good for highly grained leathers (but not pebble grained - a captoe also works better for those), and models like the chukka, but I feel that the brogued captoe works a lot best for smooth, "refined" leathers. It just gives the boot something special.

Also, if you like captoe boots (which I do), just stick with a winning formula. I see too many people who know what they like decided to do "something new", and just never get comfortable with it.

3. Understatesman

Understatesman Well-Known Member

I'll take this one, as I've owned both and have an MTO in black oil tan coming in next week. Just gave away my 3sixteen black CXLs to my older brother today, as well.

The thing you'll notice about Viberg's regular black CXL boots are the natural edging, where you see the raw, tan leather. This indicates, if I'm not mistaken, that the leather is superficially dyed. I don't know all the correct terminology but what it comes down to is this: the black on the CXL can and will rub off in some areas in time, leaving behind "raw" beige spots. I just started to see it on the ankle of the 3sixteen pair today. So deeper scratches and gouges will reveal the tan leather underneath.

The black oil tan leather, specifically why I chose it, is (though, a duller finish leather) is what you call "drum dyed" - that is, the entire leather is soaked to absorb pigment and is dyed all the way through the leather. That's why you see black edging on them. You cut the leather and the dyed interior shows through - black on black. The thing about the 3sixteen boots, specifically, is that they compensated for the surface dying by edge dying the cuts as well. It's a great idea and good look, but the raw leather is still there, underneath, waiting to show through eventually.

Just my two cents. I was surprised when I discovered this.

Heft-wise, I found the black oil tans more pliable than the CXL (I've owned three pairs of CXL boots now, the blacks and Icy Mochas from the Viberg site and the Stealth Edition from the 3sixteen site and one pair of black oil tans bought off Ebay. I believe the CXL's were less forgiving when bending with the foot and will require a longer break in period. Though, this should make them last longer, theoretically. Me, I prefer a more comfortable boot even if it's at the slight expense of the sheen of the leather.

4. LA Guy

The black oil tan is actually the standard leather Viberg uses for it's workboots. It is thick and pliable and tougher than CXL, if durability is what you are looking for. More water resistant too, if that matters to you. I like CXL for it's textural qualities and rich color (the black oil tan can seem "dull" to a lot of people). However, both leathers have their merits.

5. N E B

N E B Active Member

Man, I know this subject is beat to death, but I'm still confused for some reason. Apologies in advance.

When you're sizing Vibergs, it seems like you're supposed to match it to your Alden Barrie size (if known). Do you match in UK size (ie 10 UK Viberg to 10 US Alden) or in US size (ie 9.5 UK Viberg to 10 US Alden)?

Also, when an American company has Vibergs for sale, such as 3sixteen or whatever, do they generally list American or UK sizes (if they don't specify, that is)?

6. Arizor

Arizor Well-Known Member

Match means match, semantically it becomes pretty useless otherwise.

To make it as basic as possible: whatever NUMBER your Alden Barrie is, go for exactly that in Viberg. 10=10, and so on.

Depends on the company, Barneys have been known to list an American interpretation of Viberg's sizing, whilst others will give the Viberg size as printed on the boot.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. N E B

N E B Active Member

I understand that. My question is rather should I match the US Alden size to the UK Viberg size or should I convert the Viberg size to US before matching the size?

Thank you for your answer about the stockists.

8. Arizor

Arizor Well-Known Member

Good God man, how much clearer can I be.

Whatever size is printed on your Alden Barrie, order that exact same size for your Vibergs.

E.g. - If printed on the inside of your Alden boot is '10', order a 10 for your Vibergs. Forget any notions of conversion.

Simply order exactly the same number.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I agree 100% that this advice is correct. But I was actually confused by this as well as I have read that Viberg was UK sizing. I anticipated seeing "9" printed on my boots instead of "9 1/2." If Viberg is indeed UK sizing then a lot of the sizing advice out there regarding Viberg is simply wrong - I think a lot of buyers automatically are assuming they should size down a 1/2 or a full size from converted US sizing when that doesn't seem to be right...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. Arizor

Arizor Well-Known Member

The real problem lies in the fact that uniform sizing is a fiction that continues to perpetuate.

There is no such thing as 'US' and 'UK' sizing in terms of a standard, quantifiable measurement.

Especially today, there are only brand sizes as reliable indicators of how a shoe will fit for you foot.

A size 10 in Nike is not the same as a size 10 in Adidas, regardless of whether they're both UK/US, and so on.

So, as rough as it is, we make comparisons such as: an Alden Barrie in size 10, will fit roughly similar to a Viberg 2030 in size 10.

11. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

He asked about UK size since before Guy said here that Viberg wasn't UK sized, most retailers say it is. So before it would be you got Viberg in UK sizes and you go half down for actual viberg size

12. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

Thanks to those who chimed in on my Oil Tan question. Good to hear some feedback. I had a chance for a pair of Oil Tans but passed; of course, now wishing I hadn't...

Another 2 cents with regard to sizing: I have worn Red Wing, Chippewas, Caterpillers, Oak Street and Alden (trubalance) over the years, and am almost always a 10D or 10E. But I've tried on a couple of different Vibergs in size 10, and they are always consistently a half to a full size big on me. I don't know whether it is UK sizing or not (even the Viberg folks have given conflicting answers to this question over the years), but they are definitely, in my experience, larger than all other US sized boots, regardless of last (which always seems to affect width more than length).

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Morgan at Viberg told me point blank that Viberg at not UK sized. People tend to say that because they run larger than TTS. Exactly like Alden Trubalance and Barrie. I could see the 110 running maybe a half size larger but the 2030 is very similar to the Alden's. There are of course slight differences but sizing is similar.

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

They are not UK sized, but most stores list them as UK sized so people will size down one as Vibergs fit big.

15. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

A quote from another board:

"I found out the hard way that Viberg even though they are a Canadian based company have always used UK sizing. I spoke with Brett Viberg about this who confirmed they only use UK sizing ( 1 size down from US sizes ). The story goes that back in the 1930's when Ed Viberg started making boots he took some instruction from an English boot maker and the UK sizing regime stuck and has never been changed since."

So, who knows...Honestly, I don't think of it as either "US" or "UK" sizing, but just "Viberg" sizing.

16. peezlep

peezlep Member

17. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Yes because it's always better to trust a website rather than the guy that's worked there.

18. ben2t

ben2t Well-Known Member

I had regret also of letting the chance passed for a pair of Black Oil with plain toe.
    [​IMG]

19. Arizor

Arizor Well-Known Member

^^^Wearing these right now and couldn't be happier, even got each boot sized differently due to Fok's hard work, so they fit each foot perfectly.

20. LA Guy

We have one extra pair in a size 9.5, in the store, if anyone is interested: http://www.styleforummarket.com/viberg-standard-black-service-boots-exclusively-for-styleforum/

We also have a single pair of the cinnamon roughout in a size 10 as well.

Incidentally, you probably don't want to miss out on this next round. We have enough for the Loden Service Boot on the 2030 last to go forward. The last day for preorders was extended to Dec 15, but I would not sit too long on this round: http://www.styleforummarket.com/viberg/

Cheers,

Fok.