1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Veuve Cliquot

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by alaaro, Dec 27, 2004.

1. alaaro

alaaro Well-Known Member

Real quick, I have heard two different pronunciations: "Vove Click-o" and "Vee-vay Cleeck-o".

2. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

There is not sound in French approaching the "eu" of veuve, but the closest might be the o of of when pronounced "ov", if that makes sense. The final e of veuve is silent.

Second word: click is not bad. And the o sound is one sound, not diphtongated. It is a deep o, not an open o. Like when you say: Ohhh.

3. Fabienne

Of course, if you are from the south of France, you do pronounce the final e of veuve. [​IMG]

4. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

Ummm... "eux" = them in French, so there is a very basic sound for "eu" in french.

Veuve cliquot is pronounced "vuh-ve cli-co"

5. Fabienne

6. Fabienne

And for those who are interested, veuve means widow.  The name is actually spelled Clicquot.  

Philippe Clicquot founded a wine trading business in Reims in the XVIII century, died prematurely, so his widow, Barbe Nicole Ponsardin became the owner.  Under her management, the "Maison" became famous.  For over 60 years, she remained the main decision maker.

This institution now belongs to LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy) and is still one of the biggest producers of great champagnes (grands champagnes).

7. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Well-Known Member

Also, because of its proximity to a k sound, the second v is pronounced like an f.

Think "veu-fklee-koh."

8. csfbguy

csfbguy Active Member

I am pretty confident you pronounce it like this:

Vooove Cleek-ot

9. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

ooo is not the right sound. It isn't the same sound as "vous".

10. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Well-Known Member

11. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Why are you wasting your time debating French pronunciation with a native French speaker?

12. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by csfbguy,30 Dec. 2004, 08:12
    I am pretty confident you pronounce it like this: Vooove Cleek-ot
    Why are you wasting your time debating French pronunciation with a native French speaker?
    That's what I don't understand. Americans always have a very funny pronunciation of French words, then again so do I compared to a french first language person, but compared to most I only sound like half an idiot.