1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vass shoes from a harris

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jcusey, Mar 6, 2004.

1. RLDean

RLDean Member

Pardon the remedial question, but is there a real quality/longevity/etc advantage to hand-welting, or is it more of a personality, old world craftsmanship, etc issue? thanks, /richard

2. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Well, I would think that there are two potential practical differences here: I would think that the leather feather carved out of the insole would be less likely to fail (no glue, made of leather, etc.) than the glued-on linen feather and would allow for more reweltings throughout the life of the shoe. In addition, you get back to the old hand-stitched vs. machine-stitched argument. The idea is that hand-stitching is more pliable and conforms better to the foot than machine-stitching. The tradeoff, of course, is that machine-stitching is probably more durable.

Of course, all of this is speculation.

3. greg54

greg54 Member

John Cornforth, English bespoke shoemaker, explains the advantage of welting and sole stitching by hand on his web page: http://mysite.freeserve.com/tumblehome. Look on the page: The Hand Sewn Shoe.

4. greg54

greg54 Member

5. MPS

MPS Well-Known Member

Manton,

Could you post some pics of your shoes? I'm interested to see the wing-tip in cordovan. Thanks.