1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vass shoe retailer? Another Vass post

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Apr 26, 2006.

1. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

If someone's muling, how do you deal with customs? I know the various bespoke makers that come to the US prove they're not importing by either just bringing one shoe of a pair, or showing that their sample coats are very obviously incomplete.

--Andre

2. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

This place ships to Italy, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland, and another country i'm not sure of. So then its Vass saying these companies can't ship here but being pushed by US retailers? I do have a trip coming up as a graduation present, hmm maybe budapest is in my future. Someone said you can order straight from Vass in an older AA post. I emailed this particular company to see if they would ship to the US and am going to Email Vass to find out if they ship here and a price list. This is somewhat disheartening.

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Well, maybe, but maybe not. For example, you could depart from New York this Friday at 7 pm, be in Budapest Saturday morning at 9:40 am. Go to Vass Saturday (hopefully the shop is open on Saturdays), and then catch a flight Sunday morning from Budapest at 11:55 am and be back in NY by 3:30 pm local time and still be ready for work Monday morning. [​IMG]

For many of the NYC professionals who can afford to pay this much for shoes, we have to work weekends (and past midnight during the week!) in exchange for that money. A classic catch-22.

4. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

On a side note, this thread has made the unfortunate image of a Vass shoe mule trying to shove a pair wingtips in a polyurethane shoe bag down his throat pop into my brain. [​IMG]

Down the throat is the easy part. Imagine when the mule has to "produce" the shoes for the buyer [​IMG]

5. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Well, I've had my bags searched about twice in over a hundred intl flights. Personally, I'd love to help as many SF members as possible, but in the end, it'd probably be only a couple pairs.

Still, duty is pretty negligible when all the figures are tallied in this case. I seriously think an enterprising forum member could fund a nice weekend trip to Budapest.

6. Patrick Bateman

What about buying them at the Budapest shop and FedExing them back to the US (not that I don't trust the Hungarian post office, but...)

7. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Another good idea. I wonder if the Vass store would frown on large purchases in various sizes. Similar to LV.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Yes, there are great arbitrage possibilities if you have the time and care enough. Mr. Vass might be a little skeptical if you come in and ask for 100 pairs of shoes in all different sizes, however.

I think iammatt had the right question, which is: why are we showing such concern over their distribution methods when 1/2 of their shoes are really quite ugly? A $500 handmade clunker is still a big ugly clunker. But chacun a son gout...

9. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

For many of the NYC professionals who can afford to pay this much for shoes, we have to work weekends (and past midnight during the week!) in exchange for that money. A classic catch-22.

Oh stop being such a party-pooper. [​IMG]

10. Patrick Bateman

Indeed I have no right to complain, I knew what I was getting into.

Agree with z that a lot of the models are clunky. The "Budapester" or whatever it's called (which is supposedly their most famous design) is just hideous, I'm sorry.

11. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen one in person?

For those considering a trip to Budapest, please do. We have always encouraged this for those willing to make the trip.