1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aportnoy, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

Globalization has costs as well as benefits. Even if your nightmare scenario were to come to pass - as I'll explain below, I think it's a strawman - I wouldn't feel any more or less sorry for these two gentlemen then I do for a call center employee who was laid off because his firm moved to India or a factory worker who's unemployed because her company couldn't compete with a Chinese company on quality or price. Like it or not, there are costs to basing a business model on the fallacy that borders are still relevant to commerce in the 21st century. It's really quite reckless, if you think about it. It's sad for some of the individuals affected, and in cases where necessary I certainly support government-funded safety nets and civilizing reforms like single-payer healthcare to minimize the human costs of dislocation as much as possible. It is also ultimately for the good of the entire world to see countries like China and India follow in the footsteps of the UK and the US in their development, grow middle classes, and climb their way out of poverty. If Vass or any agents on their behalf wish to prevent prices from more or less harmonizing across borders, they are free to attempt to amass the capital to control the destiny of their shoes from every point up to the end user in every market. If they cannot or will not do that, they are resigning themselves to fight an ultimately losing war against the free market.

Now that's very extreme. For one thing, with the internet being what it is sooner or later almost all of the good niche producers of everything all over the world are going to be known to those who wish to find out about them, regardless of any individual's hard work.

Now, someone going into Bergdorf, trying them on, and ordering them elsewhere, I'll agree, is distasteful. But I would venture to guess that the majority of people who are buying expensive shoes over the internet without trying them on have done no such thing, so suggesting that internet sales are taking away from local sales itself is quite the strawman. And frankly, if BG dies drops Vass the more likely reason is that Americans in the main aren't that interested in the Central European shoemaking traditions, and have ingrown preferences for sleeker English and Italian products. I know that people have commented on my Ludwig Reiters for over five years, but nobody has ever asked me where he could get a pair.

Also, the requisite disclaimer: I've neither seen Vass shoes at BG or anywhere else, and certainly never considered paying $500+ for a pair of shoes on a last I've never tried. $500 is not pocket change to me. However, when I go to Europe in August I might look for some because I am a fan of that school of shoe design. If I judge Vass to be worth the price difference from Ludwig Reiter then I probably will buy a pair. Unless they raise the European price to US levels, in which case no matter how good they are they won't be relevant to my lifestyle.

I can't see why you say that Vass worldwide internet sales are "quite the strawman."

It's part of this business model, as you implictly admit in your comments regarding the modern, borderless economy.

No doubt the Vass distributors were aware it could happen, and sought, quite understandably, to protect their territory. To suggest that Internet sales is a strawman is to suggest that the universe of Internet buyers is finite and closed.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Okay... you guys are all talk. I still don't have my duffle bag full of cash. If you must know, I prefer the Duffle Bag to be one of those sweet Hermes deals.

3. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Okay... you guys are all talk. I still don't have my duffle bag full of cash. If you must know, I prefer the Duffle Bag to be one of those sweet Hermes deals.

Personally I would prefer this (seems roomier to fit more cash):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Why restrict yourself to what YOU can carry? Pick an illegal/immigrant/foreigner to carry a giant sack of the money FOR YOU [​IMG]

(Yes, I know I am a foreigner but I do not count. I have bad shoulders, doctor has told me I cannot lift heavy weights due to the possibility of ripping my shoulder out. However I can help with the administrative tasks that would entail my safeguarding the money. Uhm, and also "dynamic personal acquisition investment" in things such as size 10.5 shoes and size 38 suits. Full Canvas, how much is one of those Alfa GTZ again [​IMG] )

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

WHERE did you get that overnight bag?

...Jean Paul Gaultier

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Why restrict yourself to what YOU can carry? Pick an illegal/immigrant/foreigner to carry a giant sack of the money FOR YOU [​IMG]

And maybe a parasol, to keep you properly shaded.

7. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

What a disaster...

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I didn't have the strength to read this whole thread, and didn't think that I wanted to get involved, until I saw that people were leaving because of it.

I make my living managing international channels. one of the basic premises of the whole system is that, if you sell to a channel in one territory, he is not supposed to move the product to another territory. that is hugely basic. and policing this takes up a lot of my energy and time. it is perfectly understandible that vass should want to control their channels. comnplaining about it is like complaining that mcdonalds uses disposible wrappers - it shows a misunderstanding of the basic business model.

sorry - I know that it may be painful, but that is life.

9. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

if a nuclear bomb hits tomorrow (apparently they making them in Iraq), the only survivors will be cockroaches and this fucking thread

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Don't forget Cher.

11. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Cher is made of cockroaches.

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

They're making nuclear bombs in Iraq? Let's invade!!!! So we've finally found WMDs there...

13. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

if a nuclear bomb hits tomorrow (apparently they making them in Iraq), the only survivors will be cockroaches and this fucking thread

and Bergdorf Goodman, which will continue to sell Vass shoes at a ridiculously high mark up...to cockroaches.

14. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

and Bergdorf Goodman, which will continue to sell shoes at a ridiculously high mark up...to cockroaches.
    ... plus ca change...

15. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

(Yes, I know I am a foreigner but I do not count. I have bad shoulders, doctor has told me I cannot lift heavy weights due to the possibility of ripping my shoulder out. However I can help with the administrative tasks that would entail my safeguarding the money. Uhm, and also "dynamic personal acquisition investment" in things such as size 10.5 shoes and size 38 suits. Full Canvas, how much is one of those Alfa GTZ again [​IMG] )

Okay, well this has me thinking:
    [​IMG]

16. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

... plus ca change...

Oui.

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

They're making nuclear bombs in Iraq? Let's invade!!!! So we've finally found WMDs there...

We better watch out or Iran will invade Irak to get those nukes for their nuclear program

18. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LOL!

Great one Soph!

19. j

j Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Man, that would ruin my lunch hours. We have two great taco/burrito places around here, and I couldn't go long without either.

20. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Man, that would ruin my lunch hours. We have two great taco/burrito places around here, and I couldn't go long without either.

Man, there is nothing like the real, authentic Burrito as big as your head after drinking, oh wait, I'm having a college flashback.[​IMG]