1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Varvatos Converse Quality

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dastig, Oct 8, 2007.

1. dastig

dastig Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of converse slip on chucks from Gap about 6 months. They have been falling apart lately and I am looking for a new pair. I stopped by Off 5th yesterday and they had John Varvatos Converse for about $50. The price seems reasonable, but I am concerned with the quality. I don't want these to fall apart in 6 months.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality of Varvatos Converses? Are they made by Varvatos or are all converses made by one company and each company puts their name on them?

Thanks.

2. robin

robin Well-Known Member

Someone else might have the low-down on the manufacturers involved, but they're going to be about the same quality as the regular line Converse.

3. cldpsu

cldpsu Well-Known Member

I heard they're more comfortable though.

4. amr

amr Member

I have a pair of the painted white chucks and they are definitely more comfortable than my regular chucks

5. z_finley

z_finley Member

The price difference is mostly attributed to the materials used and the name on the insole. I can't imagine construction being much, if any better. My Varvatos Purcells are not nearly as comfortable as my regular Chuck low lace-ups - which I tie loose enough to slip on.

6. andyl

andyl Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the khaki slip-ons. the quality is pretty good...

do you guys put gel insoles in your chucks?

7. dastig

dastig Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and bought them. They are actually Jack Purcells. I like them becuase they are not as standard as chucks.

As for the quality. I've only worn them once so far, but they are more comfortable than my gap chucks. I noticed there is extra lining in the padding inside and on the tongue of the shoe. I know they are just sneakers, but they seemed more refined and all around nicer than my gap chucks.

Also, I love getting 100 dollar shoes for only 50.

8. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Well-Known Member

just got a pair of Varvatos chucks from gilt, and the difference between these (msrp ~$125) and normal Chucks (msrp $45) seem to be:

- better laces
    - leather circular patch
    - shinier (more expensive by 30 cents?) eyeholes
    - translucent soles
    - canvas on the shoes seems more refined
    - the insoles on the Varvatos are nice but I don't have a pair of normal chucks on hand to compare.
    - the rubber on the sole and captoe seem the same.

Overall, better materials and not bad at $70.

9. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Well-Known Member

They won't last any longer than the regular converse version.

10. Jokerman

Jokerman Well-Known Member

+1 Mine are less then a year old and there already starting to fall apart. Sad cause I really like them.

11. krillin

krillin Active Member

need these for summer. what color do you guys have? i only see blues but those are good enough. is there a cream or grey?

12. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

Never had the shoes, but the clothes are absolute crap. I have a (non-waterproof) trench, and the cloth is literally coming unwoven in less than a year's worth of wear.

13. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Well-Known Member

makes sense-- the Varvatos chucks, like normal chucks, are made in China, and most of the materials that take the most wear and tear-- rubber on the sides of the sole, cap toe, stitching, etc seem to be the same.

Oh, well-- they look good, feel good, and they don't need to become family heirlooms.

14. dibadiba

dibadiba Well-Known Member

I got a pair of the varvatos purcells, slip-on version.
    wore them pretty regularly but they didn't last much more than a year.
    they looked great and were really comfy and were worth the $80 or whatever I spent at the time

15. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Well-Known Member

I thought the major difference between varvatos converse and regular converse is that the varvatos converse got a thick padded insole, therefore, more comfy. other than that, it's pretty much the same.

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

JV version does have a thicker insole, kind of like the JP having thicker sole than regular chucks. I think JVs is slightly thicker than JPs too. I think JVs quality is a little better, I have 3-4 pairs of JPs, 1 pair of regular chucks and 2 pairs of JVs and they get about the same amount of wear and there are definitely more wear on the chucks and JP than the JV. From that, I would say JV quality is better, but not that big of a difference.

17. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

I've got 8 or 9 pair of JV chucks and purcells.

1) The soles on every pair of JV Chucks has come apart. I've had to glue them all on using shoe goop. After that, they're fine.

2) Material selection can be interesting. Velvet, canvas, plaids, etc.

3) Comfort: yes and no. All of my JV chucks chaffe my heel and blister up the first couple weeks. After that, as long as I wear them regularly, no more issues. If I take a month off, they blister up again. Regular chucks don't do that, but due to the insoles, I do get quite a bit of callous build-up on my big toe/ball of my foot that I mostly avoid in the JVs.

4) ebay is your friend.

18. laughter95

laughter95 Well-Known Member

my all black no lace jv jack purcells are a year old and now i have to retire them. water leaks in from the sole, getting my damn foot wet in the rain.

but they do look good. i wish there were an all-leather version w/out laces.

19. jay3429

jay3429 Well-Known Member

I've had mine for a little more than a year I believe and they're holding up fine. It's probably because I don't wear one pair of sneakers continuously. I alternate because I get bored.

20. cb_32

cb_32 Well-Known Member

it comes down to how well you take care of your shoes