1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by LA Guy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

What are the options? I know you mentioned YKK and Talon, can we just get whatever as long as we can source it?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that it means you can use whatever Vanson carries. For this, you want something likeTalon, which is durable and easily fixable.

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

That's what I figured, is there a list anywhere? I.e. even within just YKK there is a big difference between the slightly oversized YKKs used in more recent margiela 5-zips and the ones you usually see.

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the follow-ups. Checked out a firenze Vanson, that seems to be a good compromise. I couldn't imagine wearing a comp weight leather around all day just for looking cool, jackets are heavy!

Any more info on that vegetable tanned horse? I much prefer veg. tanned hides as well.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Excellent, I am definitely comfirming I am in. I don't want to post too much about this but since several people share my opinion on hardware and some even messaged me about it I'd like to know what you'd suggest for the following aspects of the jacket:

-relatively light calf leather (I'm assuming the firenze is the best choice but just so I know)
    -Thick and silver coloured (no bronze hues) zipper pulls/zippers
    -Body that looks normal (no oversized sleeves, they end at wrists or long body -not rider short but still-) on a 5'8" size 45-46 (us 35-36) person*.

As to the design I am correct in assuming there will only be one configuration (i.e. I cannot replace the side tabs with a belt) or remove a zipper or whatever? I must admit I can definitely enjoy the side tabs so this point is minor.

*I'm a 0 in TB, 44 in Margiela, 46 in Lanvin, xs or s in RO etc. sizing varies a lot. I think that would make me brianSD's size but since he is quite taller I'm just wondering how we can both look cool in the jacket.

Oh and I am petitioning for the jacket to mention Vanson, thurston bro and Styleforum.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    4 people like this.
  6. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

what Fuuma said. ^^ I am in if the size/measurements can be known in advance. will the pattern be made in just S, M, L or will it be more parsed, ie. 36, 37, 38, 40, etc?

1 person likes this.
  7. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Do you know how thick the firenze leather is compared to Z150? Or am I assuming since they are the same weight they are the same thickness?

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

You must have an 07 model then. The 07s were really heavy - the heaviest of any of the collabs, and it was the only year that used CdG-supplied leather. It had camo lining like the 08s, but the 08s were a bit lighter and had a little bit of a sparkle to them.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I tried the 07 at the time, considered buying for the look and design but passed because the leathers were way to heavy for me. Just the viewpoint of someone who wears leathers a lot but casually to go out/hang around/whatever and not do anything special.

1 person likes this.
  10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I'm 5 ft 9 and an EU 50. :foo:

11. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Well-Known Member

I looked on the vanson website for some info

What is the difference between your competition weight leather and the medium weight Firenze leather?
    The Firenze (fuh-ren-zee) leather is cowhide that is approximately 1.mm thick. It has been tumbled to increase the softness and texture. It is very durable and strong and is more typical of the weight and feel of other industry standard leather.
    Our competition weight black cowhide is 1.4-1.5 mm thick and produced with a proprietary process that results in a smoother, stiffer appearance. This product is very carefully crafted and requires several steps to produce. It is extremely strong and gives our products that characteristic look and longevity that Vanson is known for.

I think someone mentioned that we can also get a shaved down version of the comp leather to make it thinner/lighter?

Here are some pics of the leathers

firenze (there is a hi-res link on the page) http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-MODEL_AR2F_in_medium_weight_Firenze_leather-250.aspx

comp weight http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-HARD_CORE-375.aspx?

also who is designing the sf collab logo? :D

12. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this. Besides black which is a classic colour what would be a good colour for a double rider? I already own a black TOJ moto so I'm looking for another colour. Dark navy? A medium or lighter brown?

13. thewho13

thewho13 Well-Known Member

As long as it's extremely cute I'll be happy

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

What do you think of the weight and thickness of the calfskin used on the Margiela 5 zip moto? It's pretty thick, but it's not as stiff as Vanson's comp weight.

I might go with the z150 leather. The veg tanned horsehide sounds great but throwing an extra 400 out for it is too much for me these days. I think Thurston refer to z150 as "light comp"

15. sinnedk

Yea i remember thurston said z150 is a bit thicker than firenze...

16. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Well-Known Member

is the comp weight more $?

17. sinnedk

thanks i read that too, but there was a comment that firenze was very close to z150 so i just want to figured whats what

18. LA Guy

I am between a 48 and 50 in Margiela 5-zips, and the size that I tried, which would be a medium in this jacket, was wwwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyy smaller than my size 48, especially at the waist. The large would fit me. I would guess that the medium fits a true 37/47. I suppose that this means that a small would be around a true 35/45? @Parker , I think that you would be a medium. You are consistently 1 size smaller than me in most things. The guy who wore the medium (note that that medium was not an ultra slim) is about your size, albeit a couple of inches taller, and iirc, slightly more angular through the shoulders.

19. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Slightly over 1mm thick (source: just measured)

Around that is a perfect weight for a fashion jacket IMO

20. LA Guy

fwiw, I wore, in succession, the VAJ3, my Margiela 5 zip, my TOJ Front Quarter Horse hide moto, and my Aero waxy blue moto. The Aero was, by far, the heavyweight. The VAJ3, in Firenze, was about the same weight as my TOJ FQHH jacket. The Margiela calfskin jacket was the lightest of the jackets, but not by that much.