• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros Japanese slim fit Japanese moto jacket MTO

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what we should do with the front chest pockets then. Clearly Thurston Bros is hinting that they must be changed. But that's kind of the appeal of the jacket in the first place imo. I'm not sure to what extent they must be changed.

I'd rather just do an MTO varsity jacket or something instead if we can't have those chest pockets.

HeavenResign

Reaction score
Oh yeah I was referring to the chest/handwarmer pockets in my post, I just realized you (Thurston Bros) thought I was talking about the main (center) zipper.

Like I said I'm open minded to the idea because regardless we'd be getting a really slim fitting moto but I think for most people reading if we can't copy the chest/handwarmer pocket alignment it's sort of dead on arrival

Last edited:

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh yeah I was referring to the chest/handwarmer pockets in my post, I just realized you (Thurston Bros) thought I was talking about the main (center) zipper.

Like I said I'm open minded to the idea because regardless we'd be getting a really slim fitting moto but I think for most people reading if we can't copy the chest/handwarmer pocket alignment it's sort of dead on arrival

If people like the DR, we may be able to do the basic design of that with a straight zip and the pocket combo that you're referring to....we'll first see if people like the DR...

Vordhosbn1

Reaction score
If people like the DR, we may be able to do the basic design of that with a straight zip and the pocket combo that you're referring to....we'll first see if people like the DR...
If the compromise here would be a banded hem on the body I could deal with that I guess...Do prefer the cleaner front though. Not sure on the exact details of the double Rider back-Is it similar to what I've done below? Excuse the rushed PS jobs

Maybe changing the rear banded hem to a panel (like on the comet) would allow for the single panel front. Below:Comet lower back panel detail and coincidently modified front pockets..

Last edited:

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If the compromise here would be a banded hem on the body I could deal with that I guess...Do prefer the cleaner front though. Not sure on the exact details of the double Rider back-Is it similar to what I've done below? Excuse the rushed PS jobs

Maybe changing the rear banded hem to a panel (like on the comet) would allow for the single panel front. Below:Comet lower back panel detail and coincidently modified front pockets..

The back is very close...it's going to be close to this:

However, doing a moto jacket like you showed above would be very cool...we love split backs!

Last edited:

Vordhosbn1

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm in agreement about the banded hem - especially on the front. It takes a 50s racing shirt style and makes it too 70s(?) It visually makes the jacket appear shorter also and impacts on the sharpness of a clean panel. Just trying to put out some ideas that allows the details we all like as it seems my initial post veers to closely to the Junya for Vansons liking...

I think the Daytona Model would provide a good base design with the following adjustments:
1: Curved/Slanted Snap back collar (Vaj3/continental comet)

2: Full front length double zip to hem (Vaj3/model b) - Visible (a) and not concealed (b)
a b
3: Front facing sleeve zips
4: Remove the placket and arm stripes
5: Chest and hand warmer pockets as seen on the Junya

A cursory edit of the Junya to meet this design. (removed forearm-elbow panel & bicep zip)

HeavenResign

Reaction score
I mean really if it's just the chest/handpocket zips I'm fine if they're placed like the one above in vord's post which isn't a Junya, right?

But I do want the 2 chest pockets to be at an angle, maybe not identical, same collar, since getting the same fit according to Thurston Bros is very possible. Everything else is negotiable for me I really do want this jacket haha. Also not really digging the banded hem there has to be a way to make it different enough without having a banded hem

Last edited:

HeavenResign

Reaction score
Ahoy just to bump this and get a status update. So Thurston Bros: as of right now, we're looking at the moto version just being a heavily modified version of the double rider instead of an entirely new jacket? Is this correct?

If so, does this mean we no longer need 10+ orders for this and our order would just be part of those looking to get the DR?

Like is it possible to get what vords posted as a custom DR order and then have the banded hem on the back, but not the front? If so, I am 110% in.

Pics for reference

Thanks

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be right, but I don't want to get your hopes up. The pattern for a rider and for a moto are pretty different, and it sounds like you want a lot o different details as well. It doesn't sound like a very similar jacket at all, except that it would be leather, and made by Vanson. Again, @Thurston Bros has the definitive answer, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that much...

HeavenResign

Reaction score
Yeah I understand, I think it is sort of dead if it turns out we can't copy the chest zipper placement, we could turn it a few degrees or whatever but any more than that and it'd be hard to get everyone to agree on a pocket layout.

What Thurston Bros said did give me a little hope but I understand if it can't happen. It's just a shame; I can't really justify to myself another double rider when I just got the schott 626 but i really wanted to be a part of these collabs and I love the junya moto

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah I understand, I think it is sort of dead if it turns out we can't copy the chest zipper placement, we could turn it a few degrees or whatever but any more than that and it'd be hard to get everyone to agree on a pocket layout.

What Thurston Bros said did give me a little hope but I understand if it can't happen. It's just a shame; I can't really justify to myself another double rider when I just got the schott 626 but i really wanted to be a part of these collabs and I love the junya moto

If the Junya is the jacket that you'd like, there are a lot for sale out there...I think we can make something better. But for this to be better, we do have to change things a bit...

HeavenResign

Reaction score
Quote:
Are there? I was under the impression the jackets are a little hard to find, I guess I'm not looking in the right places I feel like we keep dancing around exactly what we need to change to make this a go, or maybe I'm just being really dense (if so I'm really sorry). Can Junya really own that particular chest/handwarmer pocket combo? If so, honestly at this point even the default pocket layout on the daytona seems cool to me, I feel like vorbs nailed it back on the first page, I just changed his comment about the pocket layout since it looks like we can't keep that the same
Quote:
2: Full front length double zip to hem (Vaj3/model b) - Visible (a) and not concealed (b)
a b
4: Remove the placket and arm stripes

A cursory edit of the Junya to meet this design. (removed forearm-elbow panel & bicep zip)

Is this no longer good to go? Put the sleeve zips on the back to add some differentiation, use the japanese super slimfit as agreed on earlier, have the default Daytona zipper placement or maybe someone can come up with something better than the Junya one idk

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads