1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unusual foods.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

2. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

ah that was it, I knew it was some french dog, I read that article a while ago

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I have eaten raw horse with a raw egg cracked over it, some people here in the states say I have no soul, but eh, its their loss. Horse wasnt bad.
    Don't feel bad as most people lack the sophistication and adventurousness to enjoy such a delicacy.

I once had a horse hamburger (by mistake!) in France. Turned out to be quite tasty. [​IMG]
    I do like a lot of Kansai area specialties like Takoyaki and Okonamiyaki (I guess only the Takoyaki can be considered strange for a foreigner to like).
    Neither of these would be considered unusual in any major U.S. city. The latter in particular is very accessible for non-Japanese.
    I eat the tail of tenpura shirmp.
    That's a little weird. Don't choke!
    Also if anyone wants to be especially adventureous there is a cook that specializes in using ingredients with certain moral and legal obections surrounding them (poodle meat was part of his last big feast he hosted)
    Ill find a link

Yes, link please! Poodle meat sounds great.

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Maybe you were thinking of bichon frise?

Thanks Kent! [​IMG] Kind of a long article though.

5. Dormouse

Dormouse Well-Known Member

Any cannibals lurking about?

6. seanchai

seanchai Well-Known Member

Shark finning is abhorrent, but I hear the result tastes good.

I love black pudding and the French equivalent, name of which I forget but it is Alsatian and much crumblier. A lot of people here think blood sausage is unusual.

Lutefisk!

Also, haggis is fun but the texture is disconcerting.

7. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Shark finning is abhorrent, but I hear the result tastes good.

I love black pudding and the French equivalent, name of which I forget but it is Alsatian and much crumblier. A lot of people here think blood sausage is unusual.

Lutefisk!

Also, haggis is fun but the texture is disconcerting.

Speaking of blood, every time I set foot in Hongkong, a warm dimsum dish of pork blood, curdled into a semi-solid cube, is always on the itinerary. yum yum.

May I also recommend after eating unusual food items, a warm cup of civet coffee?

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

In China's Ningpo cuisine, there is an emphasis on seafoods, and some of them can be quite unusual. The large Ningpo restaurants in Shanghai are 7 stories high, with the entire ground floor devoted to a sort of aquarium where customers choose their animal of choice.

Choices included sea anemone and a rather bizzare looking creature that I can only describe as looking like a chubby muddy tapeworm.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Any cannibals lurking about?
    South America used to have tribes that consumed human flesh.

Given the corporate destruction of the rainforests, who knows now?

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

Are these raw? Is the flavor strong or does it not taste like much?

I have not encountered raw crab anything. Kani miso is very pungent and may be an acquired taste. If you don't like uni, you'll really hate kani miso.

An American friend of mine here lived in China for a long time, and tells the story of travelling in the countryside somewhere and eating from a food vendor's cart. When he asked what it was he was eating, the vendor replied that it was mule and that every part of the mule had been used. My friend held up a piece of something and asked which part of the mule it was. The vendor replied that it was the lung.

I never miss the opportunity to bring up the tastiness of mule lung when we get together.

11. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

My foray into exotic foods has been limited to shark, swordfish, and buffalo. All of which are very good.

12. Dormouse

Dormouse Well-Known Member

Kani miso is quite a delicacy.

One of my favorites is chicken fried buffalo steak.

13. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

In HK dishes, we regularly have roast goose and pigeons as well in addition to roast duck. I wouldn't think it as too outlandish, but prior to being in HK the most interesting dish I had would probably be deer meat. It was one of my favorite dishes, but probably artificially tenderized to a point where meat texture wasn't really representable of the original. Once I had arrived in HK 10 years ago, the weird stuff started to come. For starters, for really regular chinese food we have stewed Chinese Softshell Turtle, Sharksfin is obviously very popular, Fish Maw (The better ones have an extremely interesting texture - extremely gooey, yet still able to retain its own mass), Sea cucumber, Fish Bladder, pork Ears, pork neck, not to mention all the pig innards (intestine, stomach, liver etc), horseshoe crab also probably the most interesting shellfish to behold in person is the - Geoduck (sounds like a pokemon) Of Japanese Sashimi and Sushi - It has come to a point where pretty much anything of the sea is edible? nothing is really too surprising anymore unless its horse meat, or raw beef :p.... The last time I was genuinely surprised was when my GF had went to Japan last week and had a serving of...Fish sperm sushi!...apparently it was delicious. [​IMG] Out of the really odd things I have had, there was this one trip to China where I had "Water Cockroach". I knew I kept these photos for a reason, A photo of them swimming, you get to choose your food while they are alive to ensure their freshness [​IMG] Them all cooked and juicy. You have to first peel off their legs and wings which are very hard. They were crunchy at first due to their exoskeleton part being fried and all, then their insides had a completely different taste, mushy and savory to the taste [​IMG] and then you have the even more interesting snacks, of which my colleague bought but we never ended up eating. [​IMG] I would say the most odd thing America has are....Chicken waffles. :p

14. seanchai

seanchai Well-Known Member

I wish you had said chicken fried buffalo shark. Mmm mmm.

15. fatty

fatty Well-Known Member

*enter teh asian*

lobster sashimi, duck "fetus", snails and sea snails, intestines, tongues, stomachs, hearts and livers of various animals. sharkfin, abalone - that stuff rocks. [tonights dinner was crab with egg noodles-southern chinese, barbequed squid, and fried rice.]

16. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

When i was younger, my mum used to make lamb brains fairly frequently. She'd fry them with garlic, and we would eat them with lebanese bread and a bit of lemon juice squeezed over them. We also had lamb tongues, bone marrow; and my dad occasionally still has raw kidney/ liver with salt and pepper.

17. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

I've never had that, which is somewhat suprising considering my family used to own and raise bison. We ate buffalo, prepared in numerous fashions, almost weekly.

18. King Salmon

King Salmon Well-Known Member

also probably the most interesting shellfish to behold in person is the - Geoduck (sounds like a pokemon)
    Maybe you're thinking of Geodude? [​IMG]

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I am pretty well ready to eat the musclular flesh of almost anything, I jsut really dno't like innards, even of the most common animal.

I've had donkey and pony, monkey, deer, wild boar and a variety of fish and birds. in india, goat is very very common, so I have had that more times that I could imagine.

20. CBDB

CBDB Well-Known Member

Uhhhh....think I'll have dry saltines and water for lunch. I have fairly "catholic" (read universal) tastes but this thread is working better than Jenny Craig.[​IMG]