1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unscented anti-perspirant without aluminum?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by thinman, Sep 30, 2006.

1. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to find an unscented antiperspirant whose active ingredient doesn't contain aluminum. I want unscented antiperspirant, so I can wear colognes/aftershaves without the scent clashing with an antiperspirant. At the same time, aluminum-containing products trash my shirts. The armpits not only get stained, they get solid deposits that won't launder out and turn to rocks in the dryer (I know, too much information). Arm-and-Hammer has been suggested, but it contains aluminum. Any ideas and/or sources?

2. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, anti-perspirants are anti perspirants. They contain aluminum. That's why they're anti-perspirants. There are some very good unscented deodorants like Sharps or Anthony's which work very well. I was allergic to those so I started using The Crystal. It doesn't work as well as the others but I am not allergic to it. Just be careful when reading labels. I saw a "deodorant" by Jack Black which had aluminum in it. It was actually an anti-perspirant.

3. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I believe Tom's Natural Products has what you're looking for.

4. mbc

mbc Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I actually sweat less now that I've switched from anti-perspirant/deodorant to just deodorant.

5. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I actually sweat less now that I've switched from anti-perspirant/deodorant to just deodorant.

Same here.

6. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I believe Tom's Natural Products has what you're looking for.
    Thats just a deodorant.

7. twblalock

twblalock Active Member

I don't think that such things exist.

If you sweat a lot, you need to have an antiperspirant because too much sweat will overcome any deodorant.

Personally I haven't really had much luck finding any that don't stain, but then again I wear undershirts and really don't care about that much.

I find that all Mitchum and Degree antiperspirants stain the worst, especially Degree. I have had the best luck with Old Spice Red Zone deodorant, but it still does leave some residue.

My advice is either to use an undershirt or just deal with a deodorant (w/o antiperspirant). Anything else will stain.

8. thinman

I used to use Mitchum because, in my high school days, it was one of the first to use aluminum and aluminum-containing antipersiprants were all that worked. I recently tried Old Spice and discovered that it's OK, but it's all scented and I'm concerned about clashing with colognes.

Thanks for the tips. I'll find the unscented deodorants and give them a try. It's apparent that my body chemistry has changed from years ago and the deodorants may work OK.

9. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

thin: I am allergic to regular deodorants/antiperspirants. Any health food store will carry the natural type. One brand that I like is Kiss my Face. Heck, even Longs Drug stores carry that and others.

10. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

11. thinman

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll provide an update. I tried Tom's, but I was allergic. About an hour after application, my armpits starting stinging and they had turned the prettiest shade of pink. So I tried Kiss My Face, despite the silly brand name, and it's working well.

Now, on to testing fragrances!!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.[​IMG]

12. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll provide an update. I tried Tom's, but I was allergic. About an hour after application, my armpits starting stinging and they had turned the prettiest shade of pink. So I tried Kiss My Face, despite the silly brand name, and it's working well.
    Active Enzyme or Liquid Rock? Are you comparing them to non-natural deodorants or anti-perspirants? And do they work as in inhibiting sweat, neutralizing odor, or just not clashing with your fragrance? [​IMG]

13. thinman

Active Enzyme or Liquid Rock? Are you comparing them to non-natural deodorants or anti-perspirants? And do they work as in inhibiting sweat, neutralizing odor, or just not clashing with your fragrance? [​IMG]
    Kiss My Face (I think it's Active Enzyme) works for me to neutralize odor for about 8-10 hours, not as long as non-natural deodorants, but still good, and it's fragrance-free. It doesn't really inhibit sweating. I haven't yet been able to test it under major stress, which is the _real_ test.