• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular Opinions

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Converse

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
A suit is a garment whose jacket and trousers are made from the same cloth. There is no other definition. Thus the BlazerSuit is a suit.

There is nothing that says that the buttons on a suit have to match the color of the cloth, either in type (blue on blue) or tone (dark on dark). Buttons typically do match, but this is not a requirement.

The first solid gray RTW suit I ever bought (Polo) had brown horn buttons. I rather liked them. I never thought it made the suit look unsuity. I have often seen blue suits with brown horn buttons, though until this one, I never owned one. It's just not that uncommon.

The combination of 3 patch, swelled edges, and brown horn may be uncommon, but I still don't think it disqualifies the jacket as a suit coat.

When we advise noobs not to wear suit coats as odd jackets, we are talking about coats that are totally "suit" in every respect: clear cut worsted (no surface interest), dark color, striped (maybe), flapped or besom pockets, plain edges, etc. Jackets from tweed or linen or in some cases flannel suits have always been wearable as odd pieces. All I did was stretch that to fresco.

That said, nobody has to like it.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I understand your points better now, but I still do not like the BlazerSuit ... if it works well for you, that is all that matters.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I think polos are for douchebags.
I hate almost all loafers.
I think most suits with drape are boxy and inelegant (although I like the idea of drape).
I think boots other than Chelseas or Chukkas are superfluous.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden, Alden and Alden. They look like ****, they're expensive, and it takes a year to get a custom order.

Longwings - hate them - looks like you're wearing those little rain slippers

White pants - how is it that they are making a comeback? Does no one do their own laundry anymore?

Rubinacci sleeves

Cordovan

I also hate that people have started calling RL Polo "Blue Label" in the sales forum. Polo is not Blue Label. Yes, the label is blue, but there is a big difference between RL Signature (the real Blue Label) and Polo. This bugs me to no end, because I essentially have no life?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are those who have called me a "clothes Nazi" but I feel I am the very soul of tolerance on sartorial matters compared to many here.

The amusing thing about these threads is that practically everything I wear turns up on somebody's **** list. I suspect this is true for just about all of us.

A great many of the things people list as "hates" hardly seem to be items held in general esteem by the majority of SFers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beware the wrath of the foo !!

fooderage.jpg

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Alden, Alden and Alden. They look like ****, they're expensive, and it takes a year to get a custom order.

Longwings - hate them - looks like you're wearing those little rain slippers

White pants - how is it that they are making a comeback? Does no one do their own laundry anymore?

Rubinacci sleeves

Cordovan

I also hate that people have started calling RL Polo "Blue Label" in the sales forum. Polo is not Blue Label. Yes, the label is blue, but there is a big difference between RL Signature (the real Blue Label) and Polo. This bugs me to no end, because I essentially have no life?

RL Signature was a limited-run line, not really its own "Blue Label." The SAs in the stores often call nicer Polo clothing "Blue Label," such as tailored clothing, ties, the nicer made in HK shirts, etc. I find this helps differentiate, for example, between crap sold-in-outlets-and-Macy's "Polo" pants from the much nicer and more expensive Corneliani made in Italy pants, also under the "Polo" label. Blue Label to me means legit, nice, usually Corneliani-made mainline RL stuff.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unpopular opinions....

I don't liek ascots
I LIEK girls.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not a hate, but more of an "i don't get what the big deal is"... C&J Marlowe (sp?) / Darltons
stirpot.gif

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
not a hate, but more of an "i don't get what the big deal is"...

C&J Marlowe (sp?) / Darltons
stirpot.gif

You mean you've seen the shoe and don't feel a thing?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Those darltons are probably the best shoes I have seen, ever ... the color is just outstanding. I own plenty of alden shells, even in the cigar color, but I don't think I have seen any other maker do the brown shell so exquisitely. The medallion design, the wingtip proportions, the double stacked soles with natural sole edge, the 325 last - this shoe is simply perfection itself. It will go great with whatever you wear, be it chinos, khakis or dress slacks. Some here would say there are not suit shoes, but I would not mind wearing them with a suit. My search on the C&J site shows that these are based on their Pembroke model - but here is the kicker - you cannot get them in shell cordo except from Polo. (Maybe as a spl order from C&J too but that is gonna cost you). I thought I had reached the holy grail of shell shoes with my vintage NOS Hanover longwings, but alas I was wrong. I fell in love with the darltons the moment I saw them. Polo also sels a penny loafer in the same leather. That is on my wish-list too for this year.

Here is an example that shows off the colors that you get with some wear on the shoes (belongs to member CrackedCrab on AAAC):

100_0334.jpg

And here is a pair of darlton penny loafers in the same brown shell corodovan (lighting is different):

IMG_3494.jpg

More pics here: http://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum...ad.php?t=83815

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^oh, they are definitely not ugly by any means, but when looking at them i can't understand why a lot of people go THAT crazy over them unpopular opinion for sure
nest.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads