1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Uniqlo sizing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g.re, Sep 2, 2008.

1. g.re

g.re Well-Known Member

I'm about buying some Uniqlo stuff, but unfortunately I'm not able to try anything, being their shop some 1k miles away. Hence, my questions:

- Are the slim fit denims true to size?
    - Is an M Uniqlo tee the same size of an M American Apparel?

2. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

i know their pants fit true to size (vintage chinos are AWESOME!!!), but i am also curious about their shirts. i know i fit a medium in h&m slim-fit and j. crew, so should i go with the medium or size up?

3. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Active Member

Im a medium in most places, but at uniqlo i wear a small (at least for the graphic tees, medium on most everything else). Although I could probably wear a medium too. Unfortunately I cant help you because I dont have anything from jcrew or h&m to compare it to.

But, at least in the two graphic tees I bought, the differences between small and medium werent that large. In their sweaters, I wear a medium. No idea about button-downs though, sorry.

4. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

i can fit in XS uniqlo sweaters as well as smalls, some of my small items from earlier seasons are much tinier than newer seasons,

My BoO size = M, my uniqlo size = S

5. Tooch4321

i can fit in XS uniqlo sweaters as well as smalls, some of my small items from earlier seasons are much tinier than newer seasons,

My BoO size = M, my uniqlo size = S

thanks, you pretty much answered my question. it's funny because my j. crew, h&m, br and gap, i'm a medium and in BoO I'm in between a large and extra large. anyways, i guess i shall be trying the medium then...

6. g.re

g.re Well-Known Member

Couldn't someone make comparisons with AA? I'm unfamiliar with BoO or J.Crew.

7. Deluks917

Deluks917 Well-Known Member

Size down one on almost everything.

8. TyCooN

TyCooN Well-Known Member

Are you guys speaking for the Uniqlo in Japan, America, or the UK?

9. discret

discret Member

I can speak for the NYC one ... you might want size down a lot. compared to american apparel their shirts fit like brown bags. don't know about their pants

10. Deluks917

Deluks917 Well-Known Member

The American one.

11. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

For undershirts and t-shirts I find that out of the package sizing down works well, but once washed in a normal washing machine and dried -- there is serious shrinkage.

So -- Small in J.Crew, XS in Uniqlo out of the package, but size small after washing, re: The $4.90 color v-neck undershirts.

12. g.re

g.re Well-Known Member

Are you guys speaking for the Uniqlo in Japan, America, or the UK?
    Uniqlo UK. I still haven't understood what size to choose for my tees. I repeat, I wear M AA tees, and they fit me good, tight enough. Should I size down? [​IMG]

13. TyCooN

TyCooN Well-Known Member

Uniqlo UK. I still haven't understood what size to choose for my tees. I repeat, I wear M AA tees, and they fit me good, tight enough. Should I size down? [​IMG]
    Someone with experience with Uniqlo UK can help you. I went true to size for a JAPANESE Uniqlo Oxford, and it was the best fitting button up shirt I ever wore in my life.

14. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

for me the pants are always too tight. I usually wear a size 28 or 29 in jeans and I'd had problem with size 30 skinny jeans from uniqlo (being that I can't sit in them comfortably). Also they are notorious for not stretching too much.

As for the tops I would say an Uniqlo small is somewhere between an American Apparel small and medium when comparing the basic tees. I hope this helps.

15. g.re

g.re Well-Known Member

As for the tops I would say an Uniqlo small is somewhere between an American Apparel small and medium when comparing the basic tees. I hope this helps.
    Ok so I think I'll go for an M, since I'm a big AA's M. Thanks to all who have replied, useful however!

16. Tooch4321

Someone with experience with Uniqlo UK can help you. I went true to size for a JAPANESE Uniqlo Oxford, and it was the best fitting button up shirt I ever wore in my life.

do you know anything about the American version?

17. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Well-Known Member

as for Uniqlo in Asia, or specifically in Korea, pant are all true to size (in cm) and UT shirts have to be sized up for me. I'm normally a medium in AA but have to buy large for t-shirts but medium for the oxfords and button downs.

18. Ott

Ott Well-Known Member

Just to add to the confusion: I buy a large in Japan uniqlo sizes, and I'm a medium normally. This applies to sweaters and buttonups.

(A Japanese M wouldn't fit in the shoulders or length)

19. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Well-Known Member

for me, i wear AA tees in size small (it's a bit tight) and uniqlo tees in size small too, but it's a bit baggier and shorter than the AA ones.