1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Uniqlo > Rugby > J.Crew > H&M > BR > A&F > Gap ...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheDroog, Oct 30, 2008.

1. msmith

msmith Member

what about american apparel? decent cardigans.

2. bluemagic

bluemagic Well-Known Member

what about american apparel? decent cardigans.

See my list. [​IMG]

3. perusingnature

perusingnature Well-Known Member

american apparel rates highly on my list for basics all around shirt-wise and nice slim fitting jackets. however, their bottoms are utter rubbish with little to no sizing variations. i also find their price is unattractive for the quality which is on the cheaper/thinner side.

american eagle is also good for a few shirts here and there, but most things should be avoided. some good accessories too.

uniqlo is a one city pony.

club monaco is definitely underrated by the op. price? sure it's steep but the clothes are definitely worth checking out.

4. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

I think Club Monaco's sale stuff is phenomenal. There are very few things I would buy without a discount, but certainly head and shoulder above everything else in most malls.

BR has always been a staple for me (find one of their outlets, it's hard not to go nuts on cheap sweaters and slacks), though some of their button-ups are pretty boxy, the custom/tailored fit shirts are excellent.

I guess a lot of malls don't have a Reiss, but they deserve some kind of award. There is nothing better than going into that store and throwing yourself a party when stuff gets marked down fifty or seventy-five percent. It's not often, but there are beautiful clothes in Reiss, and they can be had for pretty affordable prices if you're careful.

5. flashback

flashback Well-Known Member

wow 6 pages and not one mention of my beloved benetton ???

I know their presence in the US has really diminished, and maybe abroad as well - even the mens sections in the stores keep getting smaller and smaller (some stores eliminating the mens sections entirely)... still though I find myself loving some of the stuff I find there. The fits are good, the prices usually pretty decent, they have a great brand legacy + international heritage, and I also enjoy the fact that they are much more obscure than the other "mall brands" (good luck finding one in a mall!). Additionally on the sale factor, they rank very highly. I went to the one on Armitage in Chicago last summer and while it was EXTREMELY hot inside the store, I was treated to great service (the store manager attended to me and brought me a Pepsi - my favorite soft drink [​IMG] - I left the store with said Pepsi, a great fitting dress shirt, 1 grey & 1 black v-neck sweater for a total of $25. I'll mention that they always seem to have crap that I don't like at all, but then again so do most of these aforementioned stores.

onto the others that I have experience with in order of preference:

Club Monaco - I mentioned in a thread the other day, they have some new logo that they have been putting on their clothes lately that to me looks very amjack. If you stay away from these items the rest of the stuff is pretty consistent. Yes, its expensive, but I haven't had any quality issues with them and they do have sales. Overall I think this store has some of the best fits & styling of the others (at least for this modern, minimalist look).

J. Crew - as others have noticed, JCrew just seems to be getting better and better. My style kinda treads the line between these three stores and I find myself going in here a lot more than I used to. Prices are reasonable to me and I think the "bang for the buck" factor is very high.

Brooks - obviously, a classic. Just too dressy for my everyday attire.

BR - I don't even visit their stores regularly anymore (although in college this was probably my favorite). Still, I have found some good pieces here in the last couple years (just not many).

the other stores listed I wont even go in. AE, Gap, AeroPostale ??? YUCK... ok maybe I'm a little snobby here, but these stores do nothing for me.

I've never been into an H & M, they always struck me as being very cheap, and having clothes strewn about everywhere. Reminded me of a cheap trashy womens store like Forever 21.

AF - I used to work here in college - I did it for the chicks. Their classic stuff like shirts & sweaters are well made, but then they have all that crap clothing where they just go way overboard with the branding & logos. Very tacky. Plus the high prices & shopping experience which is SO unpleasant, its just not even worth the hassle.

AA... not really into their vibe. It's just too much for me, and while I do love simple & comfortable clothes, I'm just not into the brand or their founder. Plus I hate being around hipster kids.

UO - this one is kind of a guilty pleasure. Like I said I hate being around hipsters and this store is basically all about exploiting counter-culture which I find kind of lame, BUT I'll admit they have some decent stuff occasionally. I must say their stores outside the US seem to have much cooler stuff, its almost like a entirely different selection.

6. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

last time i bought stuff from benetton, which was 2 years ago the quality was shit.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I'm actually a really big fan of zara for basics. The quality seems good to me, things have held up pretty well even with washing and some of my favorite dress/casual shirts are Zara which have a nice spread collar. I have spent a decent amount of time in the Uniqlo flagship store in NY and their london stores and just haven't come away with anything I really like, at least from last year's S/S. Two uniqlo pieces I own/have owned have been great, a solid white dress shirt and a pair of the greenline selvage jeans. Other than that, nothing. I have dozens of Zara pieces. As long as you stay away from the crazy edgy stuff that you'll never wear after one season, the rest of their stuff is good, especially their footwear (boots, to be sure)

8. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

last time i bought stuff from benetton, which was 2 years ago the quality was shit.

Agreed...I went the Armitage benetton yesterday and the whole store was 50% off, but even with the discount alot of the stuff seemed expensive for what it was. Additionally the fit of their stuff varies alot- i tried on one sweater and it was quite baggy, a different sweater in the same size was noticeably less baggy but still not very fitted, then a cardigan in the same size was so tiny it looked like I was trying on little kids clothes (which is really saying something b/c im 5'8" w/ a 35 chest).

9. TheDroog

TheDroog Well-Known Member

Flashback, I'm glad you brought up Benetton and Urban Outfitters, I totally forgot about these two.

Back in high school, I thought Benetton was the best store ever. Nice fabrics and slimmer cuts than what was available at Gap. But everything cost at $70+, so I actually never bought anything. Nowadays it's rare to come across Benetton in the US, let alone one that bothers to stock men's clothing. It's a shame, that's one store I'd like to take a second look at. Anyone know why they've become a primarily female line?

And I can't believe I forgot Urban Outfitters on my initial list. I really like this store. Unlike so many other mall brands, UO knows exactly who their targeting and has defined an entire ironic hipster vibe around it. They're cheesy and trashy, and they love it. I have a penchant for picking up ugly clothes that no one in their right mind should ever wear, and 80% of it comes from UO. I have t-shirts of someone pouring beer on their head ($2), a zip hoody with black arms, green body, and yellow racing stripes all over the chest ($9), and a pair of neon green Kangaroos ($10). Awesome.

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I'm actually a really big fan of zara for basics. The quality seems good to me, things have held up pretty well even with washing and some of my favorite dress/casual shirts are Zara which have a nice spread collar. I have spent a decent amount of time in the Uniqlo flagship store in NY and their london stores and just haven't come away with anything I really like, at least from last year's S/S. Two uniqlo pieces I own/have owned have been great, a solid white dress shirt and a pair of the greenline selvage jeans. Other than that, nothing. I have dozens of Zara pieces. As long as you stay away from the crazy edgy stuff that you'll never wear after one season, the rest of their stuff is good, especially their footwear (boots, to be sure)

From what I see around here, Zara's line is slowly creeping into the Euro disco look with shiny fabrics, super tight fit, etc... the old Zara look is now the new Massimo Dutti look.

11. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

The cool thing about urban outfitters is that they have no shame about discounting shit no one buys down to around $10. At that price you really can't lose, ironic hipster trash or not

12. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

All in all:

Zara
    H&M
    Club Monaco
    J. Crew
    Uniqlo
    Armani Exchange
    Express
    Gap
    Banana Republic

anything else is just too terrible to bother ranking.

13. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

I don't know what BR some of you shop at but in my few experiences with BR the quality/materials have always been pure shit.

My list (again this is what I have experience with) is as follows:

Rugby: (I have several pairs of their university chinos which are great and a few sweaters/cardigans)
    J-Crew: If you use their sales and get their sale cards in the mail you can not beat their price to value period
    Uniqlo- bought a few of their tees and they are usually pretty good
    Abercrombie-you have to search long and hard but I have about 10 of their vintage looking shirts that if you find the right ones are incredible. Most of their stuff is pure crap though
    H&M-most of their stuff isn't very good but I've gotten a few good buys. Bought an unlined cotton suit that is great

BR-terrible

14. mulansauce

mulansauce Well-Known Member

At that price you really can't lose, ironic hipster trash or not

False.

15. adamha21

adamha21 Well-Known Member

What about stores like Hollister, Pacific Sunwear, and The Buckle? lol those probably are near the bottom of the list. What about the refined Abercrombie, Ruehl?

I don't really shop at mall stores anymore, but I still have a guilty pleasure for J Crew (even if its made in a sweatshop)

16. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

What about stores like Hollister, Pacific Sunwear, and The Buckle? lol those probably are near the bottom of the list. What about the refined Abercrombie, Ruehl?

I don't really shop at mall stores anymore, but I still have a guilty pleasure for J Crew (even if its made in a sweatshop)

those are all awful. Once in ten trips or so you'll find a fun shirt at PS but the rest aren't even worth stopping in.

17. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Three months ago I never thought this would happen, but I now, for the most part, can't stand BR. The vast majority of their stuff is horribly bland. I have recently come to like J Crew much more once I figured out their sizing. I especially appreciate J Crew's interest in 'vintage' styles and fabrics, not to mention their ridiculous sales as of late.

So, while I don't have much experience with the other brands, I'd rank J Crew way above BR at this point.

18. pcl

pcl Well-Known Member

^ That ranking only applies to the North American market, BTW. In Europe, Zara is the lowest of low when it comes to garment construction, even below H&M and prob on par with Topman. And we all know that in Japan, A&F is the shit. [​IMG]

... and in much of Asia where Uniqlo's are everywhere, they are considered just ... blah. and yes, A&F is viewed as highly desirable in Asia. People lined up for the opening of the first H&M in Shanghai. People lined up for the opening of the first Gap store in Singapore.

perceived exclusivity due to lack of local retail presence can do a lot to make what's boring and passe in one place into *the* must go store in another place.

hence the ga-ga'ing over Uniqlo in the U.S.[​IMG]

19. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

i like uniqlo since most of the sizing is asian friendly.

20. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

My opinion of BR also has slipped since becoming more aware of J.Crew's offerings. J.Crew does have the appeal of doing vintage well. That said, I think BR still does a few things well, namely winter coats and sometimes other outerwear. You just have to be much more selective at BR whereas I feel I could pull almost anything off the shelves at J. Crew and be very satisfied. And like others have said, you really can't beat those J.Crew sales.