1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Uniqlo > Rugby > J.Crew > H&M > BR > A&F > Gap ...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheDroog, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I would love the Gap if their prices came down overall by about 20 percent. I look at something similar to BR, like the peacoat for example, and always think, well for just a little more at BR I can get something similiar but much better. If the price difference were greater, I'd probably get the Gap version more often, in certain things.

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

Seeing as how Uniqlo has 2 retail locations in the United States, is it really fair to call it a "mall store"?

I have an orange t-shirt and a brown grommet belt from AE that I'm pleased with, and the few things I bought from ON I've been displeased with and ended up giving to my dad.

Most stuff in the mall seems overpriced. Express shorts for $60!?! OMGWTFBBQ!

3. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've never seen a uniqulo. Or an H&M for that matter. I have an AE grommet belt now that I'm embarrassed to wear. I bought it when I was going through a rock and roll phase, and now it just seems over the top. See, I told you I'm boring. Boring and staid.

4. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

Uniqlo - The thing about Uniqlo is that it is a great place to shop if you know how to buy things from them. Quality control, in regards to sizing, is all over the place. I can pick up two of the same shirts in the same exact size and they will fit completely different.
    J.Crew - Jcrew is ok. Really not impressed with most of the stuff they put out. Maybe if it fit me I'd like it.
    H&M - quality is so/so, but sometimes you can get outerwear from H&M that is well made and fits very well.
    Gap - except for their slim fit stuff, the fits is way off.
    BR - They'll have an okay scarf now and then and their socks are great on sale. Other than that, there is nothing great.
    American Eagle - I bought a s/s western shirt a few years ago and I still wear it. Other than that, I can;t say much about the brand.

5. TheDroog

TheDroog Well-Known Member

in my experience...

Gap - just for this season...i like their pieces, but i don't know about quality and prices are a bit high.
    BR - mostly boring but some of the stuff...but it's expensive

Interesting ... GAP > BR.
    Yeah, I can see that. BR's quality is only marginally better than Gap at a big markup.

6. Brood_Star

Brood_Star Well-Known Member

im surprised no one mentions esprit for mall shit

maybe it's canadian only but they stock nice basics in slim fit

quality not good but cheap

7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I don't agree at all. I think GAP is just a cut above ON. BR is far better. I don't care if it's supposedly staid. The quality and style are much nicer.

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

And if it's not exactly fashion forward, does that mean it's not stylish? Isn't style more a matter of how you put it all together?

How exactly do you put a stylish BR outfit together I'm curious...

Khakis + square loafers + same solid buckle belt + oversize striped dress shirt + parsley colored merino v-neck with flying squirrel-like arms?

Agreed with uniqlo being the best (excludes tim hamilton collab).

V agree with the depression

9. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I like Uniqlo and H&M a lot, but this discussion is just depressing.

10. TheDroog

TheDroog Well-Known Member

I like Uniqlo and H&M a lot, but this discussion is just depressing.

Maybe so, but discussing John Lobbs and Kiton suits can get tedious too. Gotta mix SF up every now and then!

11. surrender

surrender Well-Known Member

There's also Forever 21 - they have some decent looking stuff, but the sizes are incredibly inconsistent and the quality is sub-H&M.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Club Monaco def needs to be above BR etc

someone with a good eye and a good tailor could dress exclusively from CM and look pretty good

13. everybodynobody

everybodynobody Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is getting off topic, but what do people on this forum mean when they talk about "mall brands?" I've never seen a Target inside a mall and Old Navys are usually standalone stores or located in strip centers too.

Would stuff like Levi's and Converse Chuck Taylors be considered mall brands because stores in malls sell them? Or are "mall brands" only labels that are exclusive to a particular store like GAP, J Crew, BR, etc.

14. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Well-Known Member

Inspired by the Target > Gap thread, I've decided to rank the mall stores from best to worst.
    J.Crew
    Rugby
    Club Monaco
    Uniqlo
    H&M
    BR
    Gap
    Target
    Express
    Old Navy
    American Eagle
    Aeropostale
    A&F

Did I leave any major stores out? Is the order wrong? Discuss ...

fixed that for you

15. ashenwreck

ashenwreck Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is getting off topic, but what do people on this forum mean when they talk about "mall brands?" I've never seen a Target inside a mall and Old Navys are usually standalone stores or located in strip centers too.

Would stuff like Levi's and Converse Chuck Taylors be considered mall brands because stores in malls sell them? Or are "mall brands" only labels that are exclusive to a particular store like GAP, J Crew, BR, etc.

Don't take the "mall" part too literally. It's just chain clothing stores. And it only applies to in-house items.

16. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

Don't take the "mall" part too literally. It's just chain clothing stores. And it only applies to in-house items.

Strangely, when people here talk about "mall jeans", they usually means brands like 7 and TR sold at department store mall anchors, not in-house A&F/AE/BR/etc. brand jeans.

17. ashenwreck

ashenwreck Well-Known Member

That's true. I guess I didn't think of that. So I guess I take back my previous last sentence.

18. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

American Eagle? Christ, I looked at that piece of shit yesterday. It's a terrible coat.

After having tried on peacoats by ON (complete junk), various generic USN ones at army surplus stores (all crappy fitting except the Alpha), the melton by RL (a joke for the money) and Jcrew's (with its awkwardly tight shoulders and wide body), the "piece of shit" peacoat by AE is better than all of them.

19. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

gotta agree with somatoform... i've found that american eagle, and abercrombie especially have very well made clothes, especially the outerwear

the "mall brand" discussion is kind of like the "pop music vs no name indie music" discussion, sure the pop music might be unoriginal and bland sounding, but you need to admit that it is much better produced

in the same vein, the factories that make mall brands probably have great economies of scale and very good machines, even if the designs and details are lacking

20. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Maybe I just went at a bad time, but the only thing I saw in Uniqlo worth buying were the socks.

Rugby would be good if 90% of the designs weren't extremely ugly.

J Crew beats them both.