1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I'm an easy sale. If I find a tailor whose reputable and has a good swatch I might just get something. But realistically I've gotten some great fitting jackets from khakis of carmel but it's hard for me to make a trip down there with my schedule. So just trying to see if there was somewhere I could spend some time looking through swatch books.

I know they can source almost any fabric but that doesn't give me the option to look at almost everything that's available in the books. That's all

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you should go to a tailor with the intention of buying, not for getting commission ideas that you'll take somewhere else.

3 people like this.
  3. jedwards

jedwards Well-Known Member

Before we can give proper guidance Justin, can you explain a bit more what It is you are actually wanting to achieve?

If you just want to see and touch some fabrics in person, then there will no doubt be a fabric merchant open to the public in a large city near you?

If you've seen something online by a major British or Italian mill online and want to get it made into a garment with your local tailor, then just ask him to get a swatch for you, it's not a problem.

4. justinkapur

But I just said that if something entices me and craftsmanship is up to par I would consider buying. I am an easy sale. Just curious thats all.

I get what your saying about not wasting someone else's time and energy which I try to be respectful towards. So I guess I am asking for something which would be almost impossible. Thanks all for input however. I appreciate it

1 person likes this.
  5. justinkapur

There are a few cloths that might interest me. Something in a rust/burgundy color and possibly something in a mid to dark grey larger herringbone cloth. Looking for lighter weights for sure. Open to blends for sure.

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

7. justinkapur

Yup. I looked through that swatch book you posted earlier in the thread. H&S linen. Theres a herringbone in there thats interesting for sure.

8. justinkapur

9. venividivicibj

De oost right? They have some books up from various makers. Merino bros has most of Harrison's/Lesser/Smoths etc.

10. Shinystuffbuyer

Shinystuffbuyer Well-Known Member

Thanks. He's not an everyday suit wearer. Maybe once a month, maybe twice. Also, suit is for an occasional customer visit (he's in IT) or a meeting with senior executives. No lawyerly/investment banky type work.

11. justinkapur

Yea I really like the H&S books. There was a mohair in rust that I loved but couldnt justify the cost. I really like the herringbone I just posted a pic of.

12. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

13. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

@lordsuperb yes versatile imo. Great color. By 'd-rings' u mean side adjusters? I don't use them on odds. like to have the option to match belt and shoes.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

That Fox flannel looks great for odd trousers.

15. venividivicibj

For a SC right? Nice, if a bit light (might be hard to wear a light blue shirt with it, pretty close in color). The smith's books have some great mohairs also. Scabal has a mohair blend that includes linen, which is pretty interesting.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  16. justinkapur

Ill have to look through those books and I actually found a darker version in the H&S book that has specs of black and blue in it. Probably a bit more versatile.

[​IMG]

Even though its linen in CA we definitely can wear lighter fabrics almost 3 seasons. Might be more versatile as well

17. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I'm getting a linen coat made, and I want it quite light. Do people ever get the sleeves unlined/self lined, or is that impractical?

18. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

I have a linen SC with unlined sleeves, no complaints

1 person likes this.
  19. LuxireStudio

LuxireStudio Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The designs were pretty standard, like what we see with almost every supplier. Collection was not too wide either.

The disappointment was with the finishing. Was not upto the mark in comparison to what we are used to seeing from good mills.

Price wise, they were comparable to other brands in the Indian market.

20. 9thsymph

9thsymph Well-Known Member

I'm planning my next commissions and was wondering if anybody had any particularly strong recommendations for a medium to light brown herringbone tweed or faux tweed...

There seems to be many options, so I'm just trying to filter...