1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Both look great!

2. velomatt

velomatt Well-Known Member

Could some one suggest a grey/mid-grey wool with light blue windowpane that would be appropriate for trousers and/or suits?

I've seen items like this in person, and I think it looks great. But never seem to find such items when I'm searching myself.

3. BigBadBernard

BigBadBernard Well-Known Member

Dugdale have a couple in their super 120s range. The windowpane is quite subtle, but I think it works well for a suit.

I had a pinstripe from the same bunch made up a couple of years back and it wears very nicely as a lighter weight suit. Dugdale's stuff tends to be quite good value and, though I don't usually go for very high super numbers, I would happily have another of these.

1 person likes this.
  4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Also, what constitutes a recall or a redo by a tailor?

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

You know he's joking right?

6. lordsuperb

Ah just posting a picture to get an idea. But I would like to know from @Despos when he thinks a suit should be redone.

7. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Well played... For the record, I dont think any of these are in bad taste, just that I am not a fan of either of the blues in the wild. The brown seems to do much better to my eye, but opinions are like etc, etc...

8. computingboy91

computingboy91 Well-Known Member

Haha that's actually a light olive/green color. Poor phone snap before I turn it around to the tailor.

3 roll 2, three patch pockets, natural shoulder, light polished horn buttons! [​IMG]

9. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

I, admittedly, did not...though I'm glad to hear it.

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I don't think either cloth looks very good but if you're going to go for that pattern, the larger scale is definitely better.

11. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

That would be be determined between your tailor and yourself.

Last time I remade something was 6 or 7 years ago. Client hated the "open quarters". Said who could never wear a jacket cut like that. Since there isn't a way to close the fronts, I remade two jackets. Those were the only 2 (actually 4) jackets I made for him. I think he buys Armani suits now. Designers have cred that tailors only wish they had.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I can't really afford you, but from what I've seen of your work, well, let's just say it's good for my finances that you don't come to San Francisco.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

If Chris came to San Francisco, I think a lot of us would find our discretionary cash disappearing with a quickness.

1 person likes this.
  14. lordsuperb

Ouch I wouldn't think that as something that needs to be remade.

I'm talking about shoulders being so narrow that your shoulders are bursting through.

15. greger

greger Well-Known Member

Coats are sometimes cut so the shoulder fills out the sleeve. These can be very nice. But I haven't seen any for decades. A narrow shoulder so the sleeve comes over the top like a cap.

Todays world of tailoring is kinda boring, because there's not much to see. When there were lots of tailors there were lots of ideas being done.

16. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Post a picture of your jacket

17. Shinystuffbuyer

Shinystuffbuyer Well-Known Member

Just discovered this great source for linen shirting fabric. They are the Indian manufacturing arm of Braid and Mcnutt. However, not sure if what they sell in the "domestic" market is as good as what they export. Is there a way to know that?

http://www.clubburgoyne.co.in

18. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

By the looks of it is the importing arm of Baird McNutt into India, they cannot call it Irish linen unless woven in Ireland. Anyway you can buy Barid McNutt linens direct from their retail arm here http://jhannaltd.com/

19. Shinystuffbuyer

Shinystuffbuyer Well-Known Member

20. lordsuperb

@Merino Bros any chance of getting some pictures of the Harrison's Thistle Vintage Suiting?