1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Well-Known Member

Hey @dieworkwear, I have a sportcoat in the cotton twill - in the 290gm weight it's not too heavy or warm at all. All relative of course, just keep it as unstructured as possible and turn the A/C up!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Excellent. By now I've more or less forgotten exactly what is in the pipeline, so this would be a nice thing.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Does anyone have access to Drapers?

4. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Anyone has compared dugdale moleskin with others? Seems overly fuzzy, unlike the olive moleskin jacket posted in the tweed thread which seem more finished.

5. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Well-Known Member

I have had three Chinos made in Brisbane Moss and have two more cuts of fabric to be made up. I have used the midweight cotton drill but they also have an heavier version, which I think is probably better for a jacket.

1 person likes this.
  6. Concordia

Moving back to the less exotic, does anyone have favorite books from Smiths? My only recent purchases were a mohair blend tropical DJ (DB), and a suit that arrived today made from the Botany book. I'm deliriously happy with how that one looks and feels. The risk is that Harrisons will decide it's too close to the Lesser 13oz and won't renew the patterns when they go. This won't shape all of my purchases in the next year, but I'm really surprised how much I like the Smiths quality.

7. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

I had the steadfast book, but gave it to tailor after I was done with it. Excellent cloth, hangs like iron

8. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Another endorsement for Steadfast. Harrisons said they won't replenish Steadfast when stock run out. Pity.

BTW I still have a jacket's length of Steadfast navy hopsack. Please PM if interested.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

does anyone know if the smiths books ever going to be online?

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

If anyone here is looking to unload any of their unfunded liabilities to help fund some, let me know...:)

11. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

I have some old Lessers for sale

12. yasu10s

yasu10s Well-Known Member

Do you have any of the Superfine Tropicals or 13oz (not Golden Bale)

Cheers
    Yasu

13. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

Have sold those;am left with the 10oz only :) anyone interested in a trade?

14. Concordia

15. Concordia

Merino Brothers in HK has a few of them on their website.

16. yasu10s

Does anyone know that the "Summer Comfort" by Edwin Woodhouse is the discontinued Fresco that everyone is raving about?
    Because I live in Japan and a bunch of tailors seem to be able to purchase them. Or are these the new stuff and not as good as the old discontinued ones?

17. bamboo

bamboo Well-Known Member

Hi. I thought Summer comfort is 240g and discontinued one (Air wool) is 280g.
    I am not certain so I hope somebody correct me if I am wrong.

18. yasu10s

Well they are both available at many tailors here

19. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

Anyone know a possible source for the shirting fabric below. It is a cotton flannel not sure of the weight, but very soft brushed finish. It was sent as a sample from Carl at CEGO, but he sold the last piece and know I want it even more...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIA for any help and happy holidays.

DL-

20. Suits and Boots

Suits and Boots Member

Gentlemen,

I am planning to have a bespoke coat made and I have questions about fabrics.

I would like to have a guards coat made in similar style as the coat shown in the pictures below, which is a Double Breasted Pressed Wool Military Jacket made by Burberry. Obviously I will not recreate the details on the sleeves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am planning to have it made at Dream Bespoke during my upcoming trip to Hong Kong. I have a budget of $1000 USD for the entire coat which can be raised if necessary.

Questions:

1. What type of fabric is most suitable to recreate the coat? Are Loden or Melton appropriate materials?

2. Within my budget, what brands should I consider? How much would they cost?

3. What fabric weight should I look for? Would 20oz be appropriate? I will wear it to work over a suit in weather around 5°C.

Thanks in advance.