• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm looking for something along these lines, in a barleycorn, birdseye or a 'chunky' herringbone. Something soft: true donegal or Harris tweeds can be too scratchy for my delicate skin. Any suggestions (about the fabric)?

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Beautiful cashmere Mr. Pink. I was curious about the weight?

I stopped at my tailor yesterday saw this swatch sitting on his workbench. He told me one of his wealthier customers had sent a 40 year old jacket into W. Bill and asked them to duplicate it in cashmere. He had two identical jackets made of the material. Of course, he was required to pay for 20 or 30 meters, but is being reimbursed as the remainder of the run is sold. Fabric was quite beautiful in real life. Sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

Mktitsworth, I'm looking for the same sort of thing for a summer suit. I saw similar colors in both the Harrison's Cape Kid and Lesser's Golden Bale in a 240g.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not quite an unfunded liability but hopefully will be soon. Have a big birthday coming up and would like to commission something for the occasion. The party is in May. I was thinking about a linen suit but have recently been drawn more towards the idea of a sportcoat and odd pants. I feel like I understand suiting fabrics decently well but sportcoats are tougher, especially for the warm weather months.

I spent some time today with Frank thinking through options and below are some contenders. Would welcome any input - please be honest, I dont mind starting over entirely and would welcome suggestions. These are all either linen or linen/wool/silk.

Continuing to think through possibilities for a spring/summer sportcoat. Per the suggestion of a few folks here, I looked through a few silk/wool books and came upon the below fabric. It is from Drapers and despite looking a bit grey in the photo it is much more blue in real life. I definitely like the fabric but fear it looks too much like a fall/winter jacket in a summer weight (8oz). Will this look incongruous when made up for the warmer months?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wouldn't look at all bad on the coast of New England or any other place with cool evenings.

naviC

Reaction score

still trying to understand the difference between jacketing fabric versus suiting.. would any of the above make up good for an odd piece?

mactire

Reaction score

still trying to understand the difference between jacketing fabric versus suiting.. would any of the above make up good for an odd piece?

When merchants or tailors say 'jacketing' they mean that it is of a pattern or weave/fibre composition more applicable as a jacket on its own. So softer fibres such as cashmere, or spongey less-tightly woven tweeds such as a Shetland or a handwoven Donegal would be considered jacketings. Loud patterns might also be in a jacketing book.

That said if its a worsted wool or blend as you've shown above I don't see why they wouldn't work as trousers. Check with your tailor or the merchant and ask their opinion on use for a suit.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both are better for jacketings. The herringbone would make a hell of a glossy suit. The linen blend could go both ways in principle-- just make sure that it wouldn't collapse when worn as trousers.

Last edited:

tcbrgs

Reaction score
What are peoples opinions of this fabric, 100% cashmere, but what do you think of the design? What trousers would you pair it with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads