• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite an unfunded liability but hopefully will be soon. Have a big birthday coming up and would like to commission something for the occasion. The party is in May. I was thinking about a linen suit but have recently been drawn more towards the idea of a sportcoat and odd pants. I feel like I understand suiting fabrics decently well but sportcoats are tougher, especially for the warm weather months.

I spent some time today with Frank thinking through options and below are some contenders. Would welcome any input - please be honest, I dont mind starting over entirely and would welcome suggestions. These are all either linen or linen/wool/silk.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^2 and 4 look interesting, others not so much. I think I've actually seen #2 being worn as a jacket.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Axe, I have a strong, strong prejudice against all patterned linen. Linen should be solid, end of story.

If you want a spring-summer pattern, I recommend a blend of some sort. I like a slubby silk-wool quite a lot. Really, any lightweight blend with some silk (wool, cotton, linen, mohair) that shows somes slubs is very nice.

Or, if you can find it, one of those very, very light lambswools.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the first one and the denim-y colored solid blue.

The three light blue ones seem a bit too light. I think you'll be fairly limited with regard to choice of trousers.

The second swatch doesn't quite have enough contrast among the three colors IMO.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Axe, I have a strong, strong prejudice against all patterned linen. Linen should be solid, end of story.

If you want a spring-summer pattern, I recommend a blend of some sort. I like a slubby silk-wool quite a lot. Really, any lightweight blend with some silk (wool, cotton, linen, mohair) that shows somes slubs is very nice.

Or, if you can find it, one of those very, very light lambswools.

I like the idea of a slubby silk-wool blend. While the third option is probably too light in color, I find the slubs on it appealing. Do you have any suggestions on books to look at?

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the idea of a slubby silk-wool blend. While the third option is probably too light in color, I find the slubs on it appealing. Do you have any suggestions on books to look at?

With texture but not exactly slubby Drapers has a great book of wool/linen/silk blends, some double faces that will be very suitable for unlined jackets...

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot afford one.
smile.gif

Try reading

They have libraries now

Sean McKee

Reaction score
Here are some ideas for you

[ATTACHMENT=8195]image.jpg (38k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=8196]image.jpg (111k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=8197]image.jpg (127k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=8198]image.jpg (148k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=8200]image.jpg (138k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

Sean McKee

Reaction score
But I do like 4 the most then 2 then 1....the blue would look great with white trousers, Have it made up with white buttons and you'll be styling and be sure to wear white bucks

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sean, Jos. A. Bank called. Something about a style infringement lawsuit. Anyway give them a call back when you get a chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics