1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

Well, I do not mean in general how much more one needs compared to the bare minimum quoted by the tailor, but rather if one should plan an extra margin since the cloth is only single width.

2. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

Yes, double the amount if it's a single width cloth plus extra if it's checks, to be sure check with your tailor.

3. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

Diework, I'm looking forward to the brown fresco in the coming months, should be a good one

1 person likes this.
  4. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

I am looking for some cavalry twill in tan or beige. Any recommendations? I ordered a pair of trousers in H&S brown cavalry twill from my tailor and am quite happy with them, but since I will be going CMT this time around, I am looking for a different source. Huddersfield carries cavalry twill, but I have not found the exact shade I am after. Any other suggestions?

5. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Porter & Harding?

6. P-K-L

P-K-L Well-Known Member

I'd order swatches from HFW anyway since the colours on their website and in real life differ a lot.

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

If you like the H&S fabric and your tailor can make good trousers with it, why not stick with it? Unless you are going with a different tailor when doing CMT. Messing with a good thing can sometimes be far more costly in the long run.

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

very awesome

9. hst

hst Well-Known Member

Hi guys - any experience with H&S Techlana? How does it hang and perform? Is it a good summer cloth?

10. Jonah

Jonah Well-Known Member

This would be interesting to note.

11. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

Valid point. I find H&S a bit pricey, especially for odd trousers. I also wanted to try another mill for cavalry twill, as a basis for comparison.

12. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

Yes, I did that and you are quite right. The photos are fairly poor quality and sometimes the color description was more accurate than the image!

Regarding P&H, am I the only one not too thrilled with Harrisons' website? It takes forever to load and I noticed that they deactivated some of the collections (i.e. Moonbeam) so you can no longer see swatch pics. Besides asking them for swatches, is there another website to browse what they have to offer?

13. KYHillbilly

KYHillbilly Member

Harrisons is in the process of updating their website and have de-activated the overwhelming majority of their collections. I inquired about it 10 days ago and received the following response: "We are currently working on our website which is taking some time due to the fact we have taken over Smith Woollens and W.Bill now and trying to focus on getting these up and running properly, I would be happy to send you any swatches of the fabric you require."

They did too! The total spectrum of blue/navy blue in the Golden Bale Tropical and a number of selections from the "Glorious Twelfth." Excellent customer service.

14. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

I was wondering when the website would begin to reflect the acquisition of Smith's/W. Bill's. I'm eager to see what's there they've finished the update.

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

they've been "in the process" for a few months now. don't hold your breath.

16. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

Given the previous lack of any real digital presence on the part of the those two firms, I count the interminable wait as good progress.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

But they are indeed very helpful at sending swatches.

18. KYHillbilly

KYHillbilly Member

+1

19. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

I agree with what has been said about Harrisons' service. I too have called them up and they first sent photos, followed by swatches. I like to first peruse the site and narrow down my choices before asking them to send me stuff, instead of asking them to send me so many.

Have any of you visited the W.Bill storeroom in London? I called them a few weeks back and was told I could just drop by, but alas, they aren't open on the weekends (I thought about a short cloth-buying weekend in London!).

20. GucciKid

GucciKid Well-Known Member

Yes definitely nothing quite as pleasurable as dealing with an English cloth merchant. I swear sometimes they have samples in the post fifteen minutes after I've emailed them, and this is sometimes after I've requested a third batch of samples without buying anything.