1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

I just emailed them directly and they sent pics, then as many swatches as I wanted for free. Very friendly and easy to deal with.

2. MrDoubleTake

MrDoubleTake Member

Hey guys,

Earlier this year I landed a downtown big boy job and, thanks to having a real income source, I can finally afford to commission a bespoke from a reputable tailor in town.

I'm thinking of buying fabric online to get most bang for the buck.

Would you recommend that I drop money on these?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holland-Sher...02699?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&hash=item19df694d8b

Only problem is that they seem more like summer fabric and I live in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

3. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

I would not recommend it. Fabric choice aside, supplying your own fabric can create additional complications for your tailor, and the likelihood of those complications occurring increases with your first commission.

I've repeated this numerous times throughout this thread, but supplying your own fabric that a tailor can otherwise obtain on his own is just not a great idea. The savings are usually very minimal, and if there is a problem, the onus is on the client, not the tailor. It's best to reserve supplying your own cloth to instances in which your tailor can't get the cloth.

If this is your first commission and you live in Canada, just get a sturdy, midweight cloth from your tailor. The cloth you linked to appears to be neither. There are plenty of good options that will be roughly the same price as you'd pay for that cloth plus CMT. Maybe cheaper, because the cloth you're showing ain't that inexpensive.

2 people like this.
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

@mattcritchlow

i like this marling saxony (tweed?) jacketing

[​IMG]

Compare to this Lovat I've been looking at

[​IMG]

5. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

^^^ I like the Lovat better.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  6. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

I believe hunters has something identical to the Z above. Btw I am not super enthused with the Very English stock supported collection. Kind of hum drum to me.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

8. sprout2

Thanks. Btw, isn't your cellar full of tweed bolts already? Maybe you should start collecting stamps. Hubcaps, even.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Tweed samples, yes.

Tweed bolts, I've only 3 at the moment. (And 3 suiting) Very selective in what I actually buy.

Also, one is being made up in the shop as a jacket. So 4 tweed total.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm a bit underwhelmed as well. But still thought it worth sharing.

11. sprout2

I don't disagree with you there. Hoping they will add some more feature-rich information about the M&E ranges and add e-shop functionality...

12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

@jrd617, I have an odd jacket made up in that Lovat I believe and it's awesome. The below photo is from a fit picture I took after a day wearing a navy suit vs. a combination I would actually wear, but it looks fantastic paired with light blue and ecru shirts.

[​IMG]

13. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

can u take a picture of the jacket on the hanger? quality on that one is very washed out, cant see anything

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

The close-up picture is better quality. The full one on the hanger is still a bit washed out but better than before. Hopefully this will give you a sense of what it looks like made up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Gross.

16. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Did somebody say something? I have a few trolls on block

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  17. fassbinder

fassbinder Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend any Gabardine books? and what is a good weight for gabardine?
    thanks

18. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Some would say there is no good weight for gabardine.

Apart from that, Holland & Sherry has what appears to be a decent selection.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

12 is about right for gab. It's an odd cloth though. hot at any weight. if made too light, it doesn't perform well at all. At 12 ounces, it hangs nicely but it's a niche suit.

20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I refer this question to the Lesser experts among us. I just came across some solid grey plain weave coth numbered 30306. Any idea which book this is/was from?