1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Correct. I have never been involved in the commissioning of fabric in any way. Nor have I ever bought fabric for CMT, for that matter.

They have existing direct retail operations, and will even make and send 1 pair of shoes to 1 customer.

If you've ever had t-shirts made for a group of your friends in college (etc, etc), you know the headache of dealing with the "buyers." So watching the "I'm in's" go down made me fear for whoever the aggregator was.

Seeing that you wanted the wholesaler to do it for you pushed it over the edge of funny for me, cause that's a headache that no one in their right mind would touch with a 40 foot pole. What do you think the point of the minimum is? Not trying to screw with you, just amused (you have my sympathies).

Oh didn't read this:

That didn't tip you off to anything?

3. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

What you need is some combination of a crowdfunding and escrow-like service where people have to commit money up front to be included in such a group buy. If it clears the funding level, the money is released to be sent to the manufacturer. If not, it gets returned.

So yeah, basically crowdfunding, but for private groups.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

OK, can we get people talking who are actually IN on the order and have experience buying from LL, etc?

I really couldn't care less what Archtypal yuppie has to say about his experience with his fraternity's bro tshirts.

1 person likes this.
  5. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

The money/order size was never an issue. We had almost double the amount needed for an order (100 out of 60 meters)

They are saying they don't want to ship to 20+ people now, even if we pay shipping and handling. This was the understanding I had with the rep

Again, can we get some people that are actually in on the order to comment?

6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

I understand--I was responding more to the comment that people start dropping out once it comes time to pay. People saying they are in and people paying are different things--but it seems like it was never a problem for this order, which is great.

7. archetypal_yuppie

I was going to let sleeping dogs lie, but contrarty to...

...he keeps annoyingly PMing me with increasing rudeness, and now starts throwing mud.

Fail.

I've never been in a fraternity. While no one on the forum knows me, anyone who does would never call me a "bro." I know you're trying to belittle me (I am not a man of such statuture that I order TWEED!!!); fictitious ad hominem is a good route to go when you have nothing of substance to work with.

So "-1" for you for 1) being a cry baby 2) fabrications

It's a interwebs forum, relax.

8. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

I'll just say, as someone who is in on the order, that I think this could be a deal breaker if the mill/merchant aren't setup to deal 20+ individuals for a single order. If you can get a 3rd party merchant to act as distributor that might go somewhere, though I imagine the cost will go up as a result. Creating another round of dialog.

I imagine, though I don't know this for sure, that Alden is ultimately on the hook for those who don't pay up in LL commissions. Assuming that's the case here, I agree with archetypal_yuppie that it's taking on a lot of risk for people who have said "I'm in" as one of their first 5 posts on this forum. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on that risk. Prepayment would be a potential solution, but if enough folks fell through on commitments, then I'm not sure a mill/merchant would be happy issuing a bunch of refunds.

I'll say that I really appreciate you trying to put this together. I think it's an excellent, unique cloth choice, and hope it happens. But it also sounds like a PITA to organize something like this. Slewfoot pulled it off with JJ Minnis for his fresco, but I haven't heard many other success stories here re: cloth. Shoes, etc. are a different matter.

9. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Back to lightweight flannel... this is the response I got when I inquired about how it will hold up compared to heavier flannel:

"I have been advised by our cloth designer that the light weight flannel drapes and holds creases well, like the heavier flannel."

10. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Finally, a reasonable person who actually knows what he's talking about. :D archetypal is a clear troll so I'll just leave it at that. Hope to have some productive discussion moving forward with the rest of you

The issue here is that they didn't fully comprehend that they'd be shipping out 20+ parcels. The deal was supposed to be $33.50/meter plus shipping/handling.

Yes, the distribution would would most likely add another layer of costs. But the stuff is so cheap to begin with, I wouldn't be opposed to paying an additional amount for a distribution service.

I think a better route would be to just throw some extra money at Reid for cutting/shipping. (If they're willing to do it) The way I see it, the stuff is so cheap to begin with at $33.50/meter. The LL stuff is usually, what, like 100 sterling a meter? (Equivalent to $165/meter) So what's a couple more bucks?

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear from some other people who have had experience in arranging fabric runs, because I'm pretty sure this has been done before (I recall a brown fresco and some other projects). I would be fine with paying an extra 10-15% on top of the quoted price if it helped this go through since I thought the initial quoted price was pretty reasonable.

1 person likes this.
  12. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

What incentive would they have to say "We have been advised that this wrinkles more, wears just as hot, and generally looks like a saggy piece of junk by the end of a day's wear" ?

1 person likes this.
  13. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Sounds like a job for Minnis

14. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Are 0305 and 0306 darker in real life than pictured here? Also, are they worsted or woolen?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/21

15. archetypal_yuppie

Can someone post that Inigo Montoya image please?

16. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

definitely darker and bluer IRL

305 is a true navy, 306 a midnight navy

17. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Presumably everthing is negotiable. Either we use a thrid party to do the distribution or we pay Reid the extra amount for handling. My guess is that the profit margins for LL are so big that the incremenal handling costs are easy to swallow. I was in on Slewfoot fresco and I think the costs were about the same as regular fresco AND Minnis will sell cut lengths to individuals so they are set up to handle this type of retail transaction. Maybe Reid does not want to set the precedent but adding another 10% might entice them and would not stop me from wanting the fabric.

1 person likes this.
  18. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Nancy worsted flannel: my Fox blazer is holdng up fine.

19. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

Whoa...let's not get carried away. An extra 3% is plenty. :satisfied:

20. AdamWill

AdamWill Well-Known Member

I mentioned a few pages back, a lot of the HFW photos seem to have been taken with flash, which makes them pretty much useless.

If you Google Images the book name and swatch number you may find different samples from another site, or HFW will actually mail you five sample swatches for free if you fill out a form on the site. Mine made it to Canada in a week or so. (And then I bought stuff from Huddersfield Cloth instead anyway...sorry, HFW!) There's a guy selling a lot of the HFW swatch books on eBay, too (though quite expensive, 25 quid each).